PDA

View Full Version : weaning?

smudgley
13-06-2005, 10:30 PM
What age do you guys start to wean your kittens & what on?

Just curious. :-)

Mags
13-06-2005, 10:32 PM
I'll have to leave that to the rest to answer Smudgley.....I've never had kittens :(

Moli
13-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Sam and PK are the best ones to answer that..I have never had kittens either... :(

Fran
14-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I think it was a different ball game for me, with Maud only having one kitten to feed he was getting plenty of milk from her and he didn't have to fight for it, so I think Claude was turned five weeks old before I started to introduce food to him. Sam would be the best one to offer you advice Smudgley. I weaned him onto Whiskas ktten food.

shonedek
14-06-2005, 02:48 PM
well this is what i do with my Persians,but some litters take just that little longer while others are much earlier.My litter with Mo were on meat at 3 weeks but thats the earliest ever!
I start to look at weaning around 4 weeks unless the kittens are very active and seem hungry then i offer earlier
I use whiskers kitten(the one in the tins NOT sachets)
Mash the kitten meat and add a little of Cimicat or Lactol so there meat is more like soup.Dip your finger in it and rub around there mouth so they have to lick it off,also show them where the plate is.If there niot interested then do the same the next day till they are.
When they have been on this for a week i then soak the biscuit they will be on and add this to the soup and eventually dropping the milk.Milk i gave as a seperate meal.
Between 6/7 weeks they will be on just meat as the biscuit will be down 24/7
i hope this helps but there are so many different ways ,this is what works for me :)

Sam
07-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Well I'm feeding Beanie Whiskas kitten food in the sachets with a little helping of dry food mixed in as she seems to like the texture. I also give her a little bit of lactose free milk at room temp. and the little pigglet is eating an enormous amout for such a little kitten!!!!

Hope it helps a bit!:D

Donna
07-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Misty and Chloe were both completely on kitten food by the time I got them both at six weeks (bit early I know to be rehomed) :?

Kim
08-12-2005, 12:41 AM
We had to wean 3 kittens once as their mum was killed by a car. :cry: We gave them cimicat and they were weaned at around 4 weeks. They all survived and we kept them all; they lived to ripe old ages of 19, 17 and 16!

Kay
12-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I start weaning my kittens at 4 weeks old on Science Hill AD Diet from the vets slowly introducing Royal canin Babycat into the AD until the biscuit takes over albeit softened. I then put them on Royal Canin Kitten at about 10 weeks so they are fully weaned for their new owners when they go at 13 weeks minimum.