PDA

View Full Version : update on all my cats.

smudgley
24-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Hello everybody. Here's an update on what I've been up to.

Alfie - Archie - Ace & Abby have all been homed, so have mom Whiskers & dad Tigger.

The B litter -- " Butterscotch & Buttercup" are doing well - they are 2 weeks old now & one is really fluffy. Their mom Pudding is good & loves them very much.

Yesterday I got a new recruit - she is a silver tabby stray (poss ferral? or semi) that had kittens in someones garden - quite a traumatic day & quite sad too - but a happy ending with 2 healthy kittens. She is very frightened - but has not once hissed or tried to bite. She has hardly moved since she came - but has eaten a bit of food & has used the tray which is good. This is my first experience of a ferral cat -- What are the chances of her coming round to liking me? She lets us stroke her gently but goes all tense. She's a pretty girl too. She needs a special name? Any suggestions? I thought something in connection with the garden as that's where she had her babies. She is lucky someone found her - the babies would not have survived if they hadn't been found as she hadn't cleaned any of them or chewed their cords - poor little girl must have wondered what was happening.

I will do my best for her & her 2 surviving babies. She is warm & snug.

That's about it from the Smudgley house.

Oh except the dog is pregnant (for those who don't know she is a Guide Dog brood bitch & her pups go off to be little Guide Dog recruits) - I have scanned her & she is expecting at least 9/10 pups! Oh boy we will be busy.

bobbie3917
25-05-2005, 02:35 PM
how about lilly
rose
flower

and you are going to be so busy lol

smudgley
25-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes I like those. I thought blossom or flower?
And her 2 babies need names begining with C.

Kazz
28-05-2005, 12:04 AM
How about Cider and Chutney (both made from apples And you could call the Mom Blossom as in Apple Blossom. :-D

If you fancy anything at all how about;
Calico, Cagney, Caesar, Cocoa, Cadbury,Cario, Calvin, Clein, Capone,
Cassablanca, Casper, Connie, Charlie, Chester,Chewbacca (in vogue at the moment) China, Chico, Chilli, Cid, My cats name Cleo, Clover, Clyde.

Karen

bobbie3917
28-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Kazz you always come up with great names

Fran
28-05-2005, 08:52 PM
How about Daisy for mum and Primrose and Poppy for the Kitts?

Kazz
28-05-2005, 09:41 PM
PK these are the C litter.

smudgley
28-05-2005, 10:03 PM
The boys are going to be Charlie & Chester.
Still got to decide on moms name :o
They are doing well. When mom gave birth she was frightened & didn't know what to do (she's ferral / semi-ferral /stray) so all the kittens were entangled in umbilical cords - not nice. Well the 2 that survived the 1st 24 hours are still with us after 6 days & seem ok, except one had cord around his hock & as the cords dried they dug in the skin. cutting off the blood supply - it's been touch & go for poor Charlie - & he's had extensive swelling in his leg - good news is he is improving - it will never be totally normal & how bad it will be only time will tell. (bless him)

Fran
29-05-2005, 09:24 AM
PK these are the C litter.

Oooh silly me I thought it was garden names we were thinking of :oops:

smudgley
01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Kazz - I've called mom Cleo! :wink:

smudgley
01-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I now know a bit more about moms background having spoken to the people who handed her in. A couple of cats came into a ladys garden and kept hanging around (very old lady) she started to feed them, they all had babies - she fed them too! "Cleo" is one of the babies that was born last October - but has never been handled & has lived "rough" by this house all her life - then got pregnant along with her sisters & it's now all a bit out of hand - we are trying to help by catching & neutering them all.

Mags
01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
We had four ferral cats that I used to feed a couple of years ago. They were extremely timid but after a couple of months I was able to get close to one of them and smooth her while giving her food. Gradually she would come closer to the house and eventually started coming through the cat flap. She used to come up to me for fusses and was getting quite tame. A few months later we discovered she was pregnant and she was confident enough for me to pick her up and put her in Cassie's cat carrier and take to the Cat's Home to have her kittens.
So I think that with a lot of patience you can get close to ferals and if they are 'caught' early enough, they do sometimes make good pets.