PDA

View Full Version : Which food.......

Mags
29-04-2005, 06:59 PM
.......do you feed your cats?

Moli
29-04-2005, 07:10 PM
My lot like whiskas sachets, and go cat biscuits..On saying that they also get fish and chicken regularly...and whatever they can steal from the dogs!!!!

Mags
29-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Mine will only eat Whiskas supermeat.....won't touch the jelly or gravy type :roll:

Sometimes I can open a tin of supermeat, she will sniff it at just won't eat it.....I often have to throw whole tins out. I'm sure the standard of meat varies from tin to tin.....as does the smell :?

Oh and she also likes biscuits sprinkled on top of her meat......looks most indignant if anyone forgets :lol:

Moli
29-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Mine will only eat Whiskas supermeat.....won't touch the jelly or gravy type :roll:

Sometimes I can open a tin of supermeat, she will sniff it at just won't eat it.....I often have to throw whole tins out. I'm sure the standard of meat varies from tin to tin.....as does the smell :?

Oh and she also likes biscuits sprinkled on top of her meat......looks most indignant if anyone forgets :lol:You see Mag's if you had a dog you wouldn't have to throw away anything :lol: :lol:

Moli
29-04-2005, 07:19 PM
They all love the whiska's cat milk....Funny my two big ones give me that look!!

Mags
29-04-2005, 07:19 PM
:lol: Moli

Are dogs as fussy as cats with their food?

Mags
29-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I used to give Cassie diluted milk until the vet told me to stop it :( I haven't tried the Whiskas cat milk.

Moli
29-04-2005, 07:28 PM
I started buying the cat milk for oliver..now all three like it!

Moli
29-04-2005, 07:30 PM
One of my dogs is a fussy eater,,gypsy, I got her when she was barley 6 weeks so more or less weened her.Moliie isn't too bad and Tara will eat anything..

bobbie3917
29-04-2005, 07:52 PM
mine are on Hills dry and whiskas tins only cos they go though half a tin at a time and the kitten it feed 3 times a day.

Fran
29-04-2005, 08:43 PM
I have to vary the brand from time to time as they seem to get bored with one brand all the time :? At the moment they are having 'Classic' which is various fishy flavours in a jelly. They have acces to Brekkies or Go cat biscuits as well. Lucky who is eighteen prefers biscuits. The others prefer the meat. Recently Lucky has been having whiskas senior biscuits as I felt she was dropping a little weight and Maud and Claude are having Whiskas kitten food. The labs will eat ANYTHING!! But are fed a raw diet and if they do have milk it's goats milk which is easier on their tummies than cows milk

Mags
29-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Who makes Classic PK? I may try something different as she does appear to be getting fussy. She will eat any biscuits though but I'm careful giving them to her as I never see her drink anything :roll:

Fran
29-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Classic is made by Butchers Classic. I buy it at Asda or Morrisons - do you have these supermarkets where you are Mags :? When mine eat biscuits they do tend to drink a lot of water but no water really if they only have tinned.....

Mags
29-04-2005, 09:25 PM
My nearest ones are Sainsburys and Tesco but I think I've seen that name in one of them.....I'll look out for it tomorrow.

Cassie's had biscuits on their own but still won't drink any water, that's why I'm careful how many I give her :(

Moli
29-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Like you PK..I tend to change brands now and then, I am sure they get bored with the same thing....I have one senior cat..1 junior cat and 1 kitten and they all eat the same.Gave up trying to give them what "They are supposed to have"....

shonedek
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
all my non breeding cats get fresh steamed meat and veg.The meat tends to be Beef/Lamb/Chicken/Turkey which either heart or kidney added.Vegatables are mixed daily and all this is steamed and served warm which they love.My breeding girls get Go-cat super meat.
Kittens are weaned onto Whiskers kitten meat and by the time they get to 12 weeks they go onto fresh meat veg.
The biscuit we use is called Red Mills,the best biscuit i have ever come across.This is down 24/7
We have found feeding fresh to preg girls means small kittens at birth which fad away.Mums tend to be thin after birth and milk is no good.You would think fresh best but we have found that they cannot absorbe all needed nutrients when preg,my vets also agree.

Mags
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
That's very interesting Sam.....the meat bit is easy but I wish I could get Cassie to eat some veg. Is there any reason why you use Go-cat supermeat.....I use Whiskas supermeat and have often wondered if that is too rich for her.

shonedek
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Mags i find Whiskers way to rich for my adult cats which is why i use Go-Cat,which they love.
Heres a tip for you about veg,i steam it then put it through a blender/processor then mix with meat.They hardly notice the veg

Mags
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Aahhh, that could explain why Cassie is sometimes sick after she has eaten Whiskas. I think I'll definately try her on something else now.

I'll give that a try with the veg Sam, I always steam ours so a bit extra is no problem to do.

bobbie3917
01-05-2005, 09:34 PM
thats how i feed the dogs Sam, but i dont steam the veg they get it raw after it has gone though a blender with the 2 girls i have to mix it in to the meat but Leo will eat it on its own.

i did think about getting my girls on to raw but im hopping that Scarlott will be my first queen so i will stick to how she is feed now. but i thought i would add that when my bitches are in whelp and after they are still on raw and i have found that the pups do better on it (its funny how they are so diffrent)

Mags
01-05-2005, 09:39 PM
It must be quite confusing sorting out all the different diets for your pets :?

shonedek
01-05-2005, 10:56 PM
well worth the time it takes though.Whats the saying"what you put in is what you get out"

We went through trial and error with feeding raw and its was after lossing 4 litters that things started to add up.Now all pregs go on tinned till after kits are born then back on raw.I personally think that the Persians cant absorbe everything they need from fresh when carrying kittens,could be down to their breeding but since we changed back to tin(which by the way i hate) all kits are born good size and mums look well and produce plenty of milk.
This is only my experence and it may be different for others

Mags
02-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Sounds like you've found the right diet for yours then Sam. It must be heartbreaking to lose litters like that but thankfully you've solved it now.

How are all the little ones doing?

bobbie3917
03-05-2005, 05:39 PM
well the best thing to do is what works for you. i am thinking about the cats on raw but i would hate to lose a litter or any think so for now i will stick to this (i also dont like tins)