PDA

View Full Version : Get a kitten or a cat?

Kazz
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
6 weeks ago good friends of mine had to have their cat PTS aged 15. Now they are considering another but I suggested an adult cat rather than a kitten - what do you think.
They are in their 40's have always had cats have one son who does not live at home. And they have two dogs a 12 year old PoodleX called Mandy and a 4 year old Rescue Greyhound called Tilly.

What would you suggest cat or kitten and one or two??

Karen

Moli
04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
When I lost sam, I got a kitten simply because, with 3 dogs and 2 cats already I felt it easier ti introduce a kitten rather than an adult cat...I always think an cat or dog would not hurt a baby..It has worked out fine..and oliver who is now 15 weeks is very much one of the gang...

Mags
04-04-2005, 07:18 PM
I have had no experience of cats and dogs together Kazz, but I would think it would be alot easier to introduce a kitten into the family as an adult may be too set in its ways.

smudgley
04-04-2005, 07:32 PM
It is easier to introduce a kitten to other animals & they are just so cute! But having now got involved in cat rescue & seeing all the beautiful cats that need homes, I'd now advise anyone to consider taking on a rescue cat. I foster them & can tell instantly if the cat would be happy with other cats & also if they are used to dogs. - Luckily I have very tolerant cats/dogs of my own who can find that out for me. :-D
I thought all the rescue cats that would be coming to me would be all thin / unloved / fleabags :roll: But infact they are usually someones much loved pet who for whatever reason now needs a new home.

So my vote is for a young adult rescue cat who has been used to dogs & hey if they live near me Kazz - I might just be able to find the perfect one for them. ;-)

Kazz
04-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Good point Smudgley. The peole are similarr to myself they like kittens but adore cats. There two dogs are well used to cats now. The older one has always lived with one or two cats and the greyhound is soo laid back I don;t think would care if every cat in the world moved in. The more cats the more to lie on her and keep her warm seems to be her idea of cats.

Karen

Fran
04-04-2005, 09:36 PM
I really feel that a kitten is much easier to introduce to an established house with dogs. I can appreciate that there are a lot of rescue cats needing homes but there are also a lot of kittens in need of very good homes to prevent them ending up in rescue! I really think that a kitten will integrate easier

bobbie3917
04-04-2005, 10:45 PM
i would say either. a kitten may be easier with the dogs. but then again if you find an older 1 that has lived with dogs then you may be fine. and i would say 2 as they are twice the fun

PaulaB
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM
I brought 2 kittens and their mum home to our hosue (I brought a house with my mother ). From Queenie's reaction to Lucy my collie she had been attacked by a dog in the past, it was so extreme all her fur went up and then she attacked her. It took several months before she stopped going for her. Now Lucy is a nusence for snitching and to blame for everything but only gets the occasional thump. Which must be confusing as Queenie goes up to Lucy and rubs round her, remembers that she doesn't like her and then swats her nose! Tippy and Socks where a doddle to introduce, exept for the snitching which must be a collie thing because every collie we have had has done this, in fact Lucy and Socks seem to be best friends.

Moli
05-04-2005, 10:06 AM
My staffies love cats..the cats snuggle up them....