PDA

View Full Version : My puppies

Fran
30-03-2005, 10:58 PM
My pups are six weeks old tomorrow, here are a few photos of them......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/Baxter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/Oscarat5weeks2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/Biggergirl.jpg

bobbie3917
30-03-2005, 11:36 PM
aaaahthey are all so cute

smudgley
31-03-2005, 08:46 AM
argh, They are beautiful! :smt007 I work with lab pups & see them every day at all ages - but they never loose the argh factor.
When I do home visits - people say - I bet they all look the same to you, but no way -- they are all individual & all so cute!

(I work for Guide Dogs & supervise the breeding bitches on the breeding programme)

We don't have many choccies though :shock:

Moli
31-03-2005, 08:51 AM
They are gorgeous, they are big for 6 weeks...lovely healthy shiney pups.....

Fran
31-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I would love one of my puppies to make it as an assistance or guide dog Smudgley, but if guide dogs breed their own then I suppose they don't take in puppies from outside stock?? Why do you not have many choccies as guide dogs?

Moli
31-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Is there any difference between the Yellow,black and chocolate labs,apart from colour??

Mags
31-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Awwww they are beautiful PK......and getting quite big now! They are such a lovely colour.......oh dear, if I bred them I couldn't let them go! :cry:

Fran
31-03-2005, 02:15 PM
In my opinion, the difference between them lies in their pedigrees ie whether they are from working lines or show lines. The actual colour makes no difference. You can have labs from working lines in all 3 colours and show labs in all 3 colours. I do feel there is a difference in build and temperament between working and show lines but not colour. I have two chocolate girls one from working lines and one from show lines, they have very distinct differences with regard to build and temperament. This is a personal opinion. Others will have differing opinions, this is quite a well debated topic on some dog forums

Mags
31-03-2005, 02:21 PM
What do you call a working line PK? Is it like guide dogs etc?

Also do you get litters that are different colours?

Fran
31-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Labs bred to work in the field ie shooting retrieveing the birds also field trial and agility training. Yes you can have all three colours born in 1 litter this is called a rainbow litter. Colour genetics is extremely complicated. Maddie my other girl is hopefullly going to stud around June time. She will be mated to a black dog, she will then be expected to produce a litter of black and choc pups. The stud dog has to carry a recessive gene for chocolate inorder for there to be any choc pups in the litter. If he doesn't then all the pups will be black as black is the dominant gene.....

Mags
31-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Ooooh sounds very complicated! It must be nice when you (or rather your dog! :roll: ) is expecting different colours - wondering what they'll all be like.

Jessica
31-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Awww... I had a litter of black and chocolate lab pups in December! We kept two and they're beautiful! :D

You have to be very careful with breeding different colours together. For example, we were advised against breeding our black bitch to a yellow dog as the pigmentation on any yellow pups could turn out wrong (pink noses and eyes!) and the same can happen with yellow and chocolate if they dont have the right colours and genetics in the lines of each dog... It is very complicated!!

The mum of my pups came from a show line (most of the dogs in her line had been shown and done well) though her mother and grandmother were both used as working dogs on the farm where they lived! :)

Oooh, and my dog (the mum) has a lot of chocolate in her line so carries the 'chocolate gene' and we bred her to a chocolate dog and ended up with an exact 50/50 split of chocolate and black puppies, having four of each. Though two of the chocolate pups died shortly after being born..

Anyway, back on topic, gorgeous puppies!!! :D

Abbi
31-03-2005, 05:47 PM
wow they are gorgeous I would want to keep them all !!!

Mags
31-03-2005, 06:30 PM
PK, your daughter (?) doesn't look like she wants to let that first one go - she's got luv in her eyes!! :smt007

Moli
31-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I have noticed at the classes differences between working labs and show labs, the working ones,seem to be chunkier....

smudgley
31-03-2005, 09:11 PM
We do breed our own pups at Guide Dogs & have a huge breeding programme - :shock: (all bitches & dogs live / whelp in family homes 8) ) but we do occasionally have outside bred pups donated to us or sometimes we will buy outside bred pups, obviously they have to be from good parents / health tested / excellent temperament / excellent pedigree & of good type.This benefits us as we need to sometimes bring in new carefully selected bloodlines.

We don't have many choccs within Guide Dogs mainly because our well established breeding lines don't carry choc genes, but we have now got 2 choc lab broods on the programme. Unfortunately we have had a lower success rate in training with chocs than other colours.

In my opinion black / yellow are very similar but I do think the chocs are more demanding & harder to train.

Show labs are very short legged / stocky & (dare I say it... usually very overweight!) Working labs (as in working dogs to the gun) are usually fitter / more slender build.

Fran
31-03-2005, 09:27 PM
I agree with you Smudgley, show type labs do tend to be shorter in the leg and chunkier and in my opinion working bred labs tend to be more slender, more demanding and 'fizzier'. I keep both my girls lean even the show bred one as it is better on their hips and a must if they are going into whelp. Both my girls are hip scored and eye tested and interestingly, it's my working bred girl that is very very clever and in my opinion would have made an excellant assistance dog; exceptionally willing and easy to train. She her self with no teaching for this will go and open the door for my 18 year old if she wants to go out of the room and is struggling. She hears Lucky scratching and scratching trying to pull the door open and will go and open it for her :lol:

Fran
31-03-2005, 10:36 PM
PK, your daughter (?) doesn't look like she wants to let that first one go - she's got luv in her eyes!! :smt007

This puppy is certainly Emily's favourite from this litter. She calls her dracula puppy :shock: as she has a couple of white hairs on her neck. It is difficult for the children as they get so attached to the puppies but we are planning to keep a black girl from Maddie's next litter, so this is keeping the children going!! They can't wait!!!

Fran
31-03-2005, 10:39 PM
The puppy that Emily is holding has been called Truffle by her new owners :-) She will be leaving us in two weeks :(

bobbie3917
01-04-2005, 12:49 AM
thats the worst thing about breeding is they have to go :(

Mags
01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
How on earth do you remember which puppy is going to which owner......they all look alike!! :?

Fran
01-04-2005, 11:01 AM
I can tell them all apart Mags, they are all slightly different ;-)

Fran
01-04-2005, 11:05 AM
If I had any that were very difficult to tell apart, I would use little ric rac collars or nail varnish on their claws, the last litter I had of 11 puppies, all chocolate, I shaved little areas of hair in discrete places of the ones who were very difficult to tell apart so I new who was who.

bobbie3917
01-04-2005, 11:40 AM
thats what i done with your last litter, we had 6 pups but 2 sets of 2 were like looking at the same pup lol so i shaved a little of there back legs

Mags
01-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Awwww choccie pups with nail varnish on......that I would love to see! :smt007

Jeanette
13-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Awww they are cute. I love puppies:)

Here are a few pics of Luna's siblings with nailpolish on:)

Luna has a white blaze on her chest as the only pup, so didnt need nailpolish:)

Here is a pic of one of the boys. You can see a light mark in his neck area.. that's the nailpolish:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna%201/Rikke.jpg

Here's another:

This is the girl I was supposed to have in the beginning, Betha, you can see the light dot just above her ear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna/hvalpe3uger.jpg

They are 3 weeks in the 2 pics above

Here they are 5 weeks, and you can see the dots on a few of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna/hvalpe5uger.jpg

Sorry for hijacking your thread PK :oops:

Fran
13-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Your piccies are lovely OM :smt007 How come you got Luna and not Bertha?

Jeanette
13-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Well the breeders decided for me. I visited them when the pups were 3, 5 and 7 weeks, and got her home at 8½ weeks :)

They got a lot of info from and about me. At the time I lived on the 3. floor. I wanted to use her for agility (for fun). Luna was the first born - smallest at birth - but grew to be one of the middle sized dogs (at 5 weeks or 7 cant remember now :? ) and they thought that I would have more problems carrying Bertha than Luna and of course her temperament...

You know the funny thing is, that Luna actually picked me... Or that's my conviction anyway :)

When we visited the first time (at 3 weeks) the whole litter were brought into the livingroom with their grey blanket. The puppies went into a lump to sleep... except Luna (Blaze on the pedigree) she was investigating and went straight to me...

And yes they were lovely... I went for a visit to the breeder (who kept Bella, one of the girls) this easter and Luna is actually bigger than her mum!!! A few cm but still.. So my babygirl turned out to be bigger than her sister AND her mum :-D

Moli
13-06-2005, 09:34 PM
They are all so gorgeous....Love puppies and kittens....

Jeanette
13-06-2005, 09:52 PM
So do I :)

There really isnt much better than that.

I didnt want to leave, when we saw them :)

Mags
13-06-2005, 09:53 PM
They are beautiful......

Jeanette
13-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Its actually me you can see in the first pic :D Well also in the third, but that's only my lower part :D

Mags
13-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Nice to see you Jeanette :lol:

Jeanette
13-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Moli
13-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Are you the jeans Jeanette?

Jeanette
13-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Nope black pants :D

The jeans is one of the daughters. They have 3 :D

Quite fun to see them all again after 2 years.

Could have used my digital camera then :roll:

Took 36 pics though :wink: none of them are real close-ups though, as I was so "in the zone", so when they finally started to calm down, I had run out of film :roll:

Fran
14-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Nice to meet you OM :-D

Talking of Luna choosing you, when people come to choose my puppies, it is always the other way round; the pups choose who they want to be their new owners :lol:

Jeanette
14-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah I hear it more and more :) And I'm so happy I got Luna. She's just the perfect match for me... :)