PDA

View Full Version : cat friendly discinfectant

smudgley
16-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on cat friendly discinfectants for my cat pens?

Mags
16-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Hmmm, don't know about cat pens Smudgley but I tend to use just ordinary disinfectant on the litter tray without any problem.

smudgley
16-03-2005, 11:56 PM
yeah I just use a mild household discinfectant for cleaning my litter trays - but now i've got the cat pens, I want to have a good cleaning regime in place with some "good quality" proper discinfectant. I know it's expensive to invest in good stuff, but I want to keep the pens nice & fresh & clean & above all reduce risk of infection as much as possible. :)

The pens are up now & we just need an electrician to come & fit the electrics for the lights & heating & we are all ready for our little guests to arrive :-D

Mags
17-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Isn't Jeyes Fluid a disinfectant ? I know it's strong but whether it's suitable for the pens, I wouldn't know.

I bet it's exciting now the pens are up - when it's all finished why not take a photo and I'll put it on here for you.

Mags
17-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Just had a thought, why not ring a local cattery to find out what they use?

smudgley
17-03-2005, 12:08 AM
I have read that Jeyes should not be used. As it contains phenol which can be harmful to cats, this surprised me because it is safe to use in rabbit hutches / kennels / stables.(or at least I think it is)

thanks Mags ~~ Yes I'd love you to post me a pic, once completed (should be this weekend) I'll get a photo, perhaps Smudge will even pose in one of the bed areas to give the full effect. :-D Maybe one day I'll learn to post my own, I have done it before but it takes me ages, literally all afternoon to post some photos onto photobucket, then to transfer them. Maybe I will read up on how to post as I must be doing it wrong, but in the meantime I'll mail you a photo. x

Good idea - I'll speak to a local cattery, although having worked in boarding kennels/catteries years ago I would imagine they use the cheapest possible stuff (like a big drum of it for a quid :-D) & then they use half a teaspoon of it in a bucket of water.

shonedek
17-03-2005, 12:10 AM
ive always used bleach as it will kill just about anything and its safe for cats.Jeyes you have to make sure dries before they go in pen as its very strong.NEVER use a disinfectant that turns cloudy in the water.(eg Dettol)What makes it goes cloudy is actually a poision to cats.I didnt know this till fairly recently speaking to vets.

Fran
17-03-2005, 12:12 AM
We use Virkon, for horse and dogs, kills moulds, bacteria, fungi and ringworm etc.. You can buy it from Canine Chemist - www.hyperdrug.com
Just check that it is ok for cats but I don't see any reason why not. I clean pups whelping area with it. 500g - £12.98 / 5kg - £46.94 It comes as a powder that you dissolve it in water.

smudgley
17-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks - I wondered if good old bleach was safe to use, that's always a favourite of mine & really cheap too.
Yes virkon is safe for cats, but I know good ventilation is needed which there is in the pens, so there wouldn't be a problem. I always think Virkon makes the place smell really fresh, we use it at work sometimes.

smudgley
17-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Bye for now - just off to hyperdrug to check out their products. Hope they're open :-D

smudgley
17-03-2005, 12:21 AM
I've been - they have a good selection of products there thanks PK. :)

Interestingly enough it said Jeyes is ministry approved for animal housing?

Mags
17-03-2005, 12:25 AM
You started a good thread here Smudgley, we're learning lots!!

shonedek
17-03-2005, 12:28 AM
.We used it for a short while on the dog run but the smell is horrible and you have to wait till its almost dry.We found if it wasnt completly dry it stained the dogs feet.Cats are much more sensitive.
We stick to good old bleach which is definatly safe with cats

Fran
17-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Must say, I don't know much about Jeyes. I buy loads from hyperdrug. I think they would go into liquidation if I stoppped shopping with them , well so my husband says :-D We have bought Virkon from our equine vet before but it is so much cheaper from hyperdrug; always buy my wormers from them too

Fran
17-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Yes you have to make sure it is dry after you have used Virkon but it it is a really effective disinfectant and I have never had a problem with it. I have even used it in the washing machine to wash the horses rugs and dogs bedding. You can dilute it to bath the horse in so it can't be all that bad!

shonedek
17-03-2005, 12:33 AM
we buy all our wormers and flea products from Canine chemist which i believe is the same company.Just buying the frontline is so much cheaper.From vets its£49.00 from canine chem its £31.00 Big difference

Fran
17-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Yes Canine chemist is the same company. I worm with panacur and buy a 500ml bottle which saves me loads

shonedek
17-03-2005, 12:38 AM
have you seen that from Oct 05 we may have to go back to buying from vets due to some crazy rule about putting drugs in the post

Fran
17-03-2005, 12:39 AM
You are joking. Where have you read that?

shonedek
17-03-2005, 12:43 AM
we picked up the new catalog from Crufts and theres a big peice in there.Also picked up a catalog fromVet-medic and they are saying the same,but in there one they are going on about prescription drugs which covers wormers and flea products

Fran
17-03-2005, 12:47 AM
:?

shonedek
17-03-2005, 12:49 AM
i know very annoying as vets can then charge the earth again