PDA

View Full Version : Shock

shonedek
15-03-2005, 08:32 PM
My little chocolate persian foster went in for her operation today.i have sat by the phone for nearly 3 hours waiting for them to ring.Got a little attached to this one as she has had such a rough time bless her.Vets have just phoned to say that she stopped breathing on the table and it took a while to get her going.She has also taken a while to come round so they are concerned.The opperation took 2 1/2 hours but they are pleased with what they have done.They finished the opp and she has to stay in for a week,although they have said she may have to come home earlier as shes not very happy.They will give her the night and she how she is.I praying she will stay as shes hooked up to fluids and cant exercise till her nose is healed.The next 24 hours are going to be tough for her,fingers crossed

Fran
15-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Ahh Bless her, she has been through so much. Will you be able to visit her if she has to stop in?

shonedek
15-03-2005, 08:39 PM
will see her 3 times a day as my vets are only round the corner and they dont worry about me going in.At the moment i feel like i live there

Fran
15-03-2005, 08:44 PM
At least that's a relief that you have such a good relationship with your vets and go often to see her. I'm sure if she has to stop in then seeing you so regularly will help with her recovery.

Abbi
15-03-2005, 10:08 PM
awwww hope she is ok Sam!

Naomi
15-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Awww bless her, hope she recovers soon

Mags
15-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Awwww Sam, that must have been a shock for you. I do hope she'll be alright and get through the night. You've had such a worrying time lately with your little ones.

My vet is very good regarding visiting too. When Cassie was hospitalised before Christmas I was told I could visit her anytime. I think it does your pet good too.

shonedek
15-03-2005, 11:12 PM
My vets are bill and without them im sure we would of lost a few.I hope she gets through the night .She already has new owners waiting waiting for her when shes fully recovered.

Mags
15-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Fingers crossed for her. It's nice to know that someone is waiting to love her.

shonedek
15-03-2005, 11:18 PM
there lovely people and she wont want for anything.Couldnt ask for more

Moli
15-03-2005, 11:23 PM
hugs for your little baby....

Fran
15-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here for her. Let us know how she is in the morning

Moli
16-03-2005, 09:09 AM
hi,how's the baby this mornin Sam.....

Lorraine
16-03-2005, 09:11 AM
(((((hugs))))) free me :) :)

Mags
16-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Hope the night went well Sam - let us know when you get some news.

Fran
16-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes Sam, let us know as soon as you hear anything. Hope she has had a settled night

shonedek
16-03-2005, 04:47 PM
she has had to have another opp after pulling out her stiches, drip from leg and just went totally manic at the vets.Made a right mess of herself.She was bleeding from her nose which concerned the vets.To top things off they have told me she has a bad heart and that her outlook isnt good(ive heard this before with my Wazzy who they only gave 6 months tops.That was 14 years ago).Anyhow we picked her up at 8am and is now home with us.The vet comes and checks her drip and makes sure shes ok. .She is dosed upto the nines with painkillers and antibiotic.The The vets said she just went mad when they turned the light off.Shes only 8 months old and has had such a struggle for life due to a bad breeder who dosnt care and lied to new owners saying she would grow out of it.Any how she has slept like a baby.She is in a pen to keep her quite but i sit by her and she comes on my lap for cuddles.She has started to eat from a bowl(no more hand feeding).The first time in 8 months.The only sad thing is her waiting owners have said they now dont want her(which i can understand but you take on an animal not knowing the problems later in life).So guess what.Ive signed the paper work and am now her new owner.I cant have a housefull of my own breeding and not have a rescue.She has a new name as she was Coco which i hated so she is now Truffles.New name new life.

Mags
16-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Awww Sam, poor little angel :( She must have been terrified to have done all that......and then having to have another op :cry:
So you've got to go through all the nursing again (you don't get an easy life do you?).

What a shame that her prospective owners don't want her now - but I'll tell you something........she has ended up with the best owner she could wish for! Good luck with Truffles, I'm sure you'll make her well again!

Fran
16-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Aww Sam, she really is going through the mill. I'm really pleased she is yours now and Truffles is a lovely name. Keep us updated with her progress.

shonedek
16-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Mags thats the joys of fostering as you never know whats going to come through the door next,however shes the hardest one so far.It should get better now as she has basicly gone through the worst.Just healing to go.The fact shes eating by herself is just out of this world and things can only get better.Im not going to worry about her heart just make every day count.Will keep you updated.Back to vets on Monday to see about removing stiches on her face

Naomi
16-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Awww wot a lovely name 'Truffles' at least she has a caring owner and hopefully, finger's crossed you can nurse her back to health.

Mags
16-03-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm glad the worst is over for her Sam.....now all she needs is plenty of your special TLC.

Fran
16-03-2005, 07:45 PM
How is Truffles this evening Sam?

shonedek
16-03-2005, 08:17 PM
well vets have been in to check her drip and just see that her stiches are ok and that shes not in pain.But shes not panicked since she has come home.Shes slept most of the day which is the best cure.Shes eaten her tea tonight on her own again which is brill.Her food is like soup at the moment so she dosnt have to struggle with it and shes started to talk which she hasnt done before.Her poor little face is very swallon twice the size it should be.The vets are very pleased as she gave them a bit of a scare last night.Think they were more worried about having to tell me bad news.Vets are in first thing in morning and have given me a direct number to vet on call tonight just incase.Think we will be fine though

Mags
16-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Awww bless her! She's a little fighter and sounds like she loves her new Mom already. I think you are going to get very attached to this one Sam! Hope all goes well with her tonight.

Fran
16-03-2005, 08:31 PM
That's great news Sam. Give her a gentle cuddle for us

shonedek
16-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Shes been with us for just over 2 months and because she couldnt eat unless you hand fed her she was very easy to get attached to.But because she had new owners waiting i did keep a distance which is hard.I was quite pleased when her owners said they didnt want her after all as it meant i could give her that extra cuddle knowing that i would be signing the paper work for her.
Lets just keep fingers crossed that the opp has worked and sorted her breathing out.The fact shes eating on her own must be a good sign though

Fran
16-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Definitely sounds like a brilliant sign Sam :) She is lucky to have found you!! I think that she is going to be very special to you.

Fran
17-03-2005, 09:06 AM
How is Truffles this morning Sam? Did she have a settled night?

Mags
17-03-2005, 09:56 AM
........and give her an extra cuddle from us Sam.

Moli
17-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Big cuddles for truffles..

shonedek
17-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Truffles went through the night very wellI slept on the chair by her pen just in case.Her face is weeping at the moment and she is also losing fluid from her nostrils.Shes now back in vets having a drain put in as the vets dont want a build up.They were hopeing not to have to do this but i think when she paniced in the vets she did more damage.She will be back in the next hour

Mags
17-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Glad the night went ok Sam.
Her poor little face must be quite sore, let's hope it will heal quickly. Seems like she trusts you looking after her more than the vet!

shonedek
17-03-2005, 07:23 PM
shes been home just about an hour now.Very groggy but happy,although she dosnt like the drain.She has to wear a collar to stop her rubbing it.She looks like shes wearing a lamp shade bless her.Will take it off her when she comes out and when she eats

Mags
17-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Awww little cutie in her lampshade, I expect she's glad to be back home.

shonedek
17-03-2005, 07:36 PM
she seems happy enough and ive just offered her some dinner which she is tucking into.Will be glad when the drip is gone as its quite hard to work around.

I had a phone call earlier asking if i was ready to take on another foster.Ive turned it down and have asked them to give me a few months break.This year has been so hard plus i also have my own which need me and to be honest i could do with a break.Truffles is enough to worry about with out adding to it.

Fran
17-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh what a time she's having. I don't blame you for wanting a rest plus Truffles is going to need your tlc for a while longer

Mags
17-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Golly Sam, as if you haven't got enough on your plate at the moment! :shock:

You must be utterly exhausted what with the months of worry and care you gave to Little Ted - think of yourself for once or you'll get yourself too tired to look after any animal.

Fran
17-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Here, here Mags. You tell her :lol:

shonedek
17-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Exactly Mags .Im having time off,done more then enough over the years and Truffles is the first we have taken on so they havent done bad.Mind im glad i dont have to pay for Truffles vets bill as its up to £980 plus more to go.Teds bill was about that mind.Dont you just love them

Fran
17-03-2005, 08:46 PM
:shock: @ Vets bills

Fran
17-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Mind you the litter of pups I have at the moment were born by emergency caesarian and that cost £400!

shonedek
17-03-2005, 08:51 PM
same price for cats,and vets say they are hard up.Mine has a very nice car and you should see his house wow!

Fran
17-03-2005, 08:58 PM
What annoys me most are the little things like the cost of just dispensing some tablets, £4 just to but a dozen pills in a pot, without seeing the animal. That's on top of the inflated cost of the tablets anyway :(

shonedek
17-03-2005, 09:25 PM
going back a while i helped in the vets.I was shocked to see how much they were buying in vaccine for dogs.1 bottle was costing the vets £3 and they were charging client £35 for a vaccination from the same bottle :shock: .When you consider that 1 bottle will do more then 1 person i think they get 5 from 1 bottle they aint doing to bad are they. :twisted:

Mags
17-03-2005, 09:25 PM
I had to pay the vet over £500 when Cassie was kept in for 4 days with Triaditis before Christmas :shock:

At the time you think it's worth it to get them better but later.......what a rip off!!

Fran
17-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Yes Mags I agree, one of my rabbits had to stop in one night for rehydration therapy £180!! What is Triaditis Mags?

Mags
17-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I was told it was inflamation of the liver, pancreas and another organ but I can't remember which. Similar to pancreatitis(sp)
in humans.

Fran
17-03-2005, 09:43 PM
What caused that and is she totally cured now? Pancreatitis in humans can have many causes and usually makes you very ill. She must have been really ill Mags :(

shonedek
17-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Mags cat was very ill for a little while.We were all worried for Cassie and Mags.

Fran
17-03-2005, 09:56 PM
:(

Mags
17-03-2005, 10:40 PM
They said it was something that can just happen - and by having it once there's always a chance of recurrence :(
She was very poorly at the time, not eating, drinking or going to the toilet, high temperature for three days and on a drip. Would hate to go through that again but the vets were very good allowing us to go in to see her whenever we wanted.

Fran
17-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Oh Mags that must have been so awful :( At least the vets let you visit often and you could still see her, that must have made things easier for her also. Lets hope that it was a one off and it never happens again. I haven't heard of it but I know pancreatitis in humans can be very nasty. Does she have to have any special diet or medication to try and prevent a reoccurence, Mags?

Mags
17-03-2005, 10:57 PM
When we brought her back home, she wasn't eating very much so we had to tempt her with chicken and pilchards(in tomato sauce!), then gradually we got her on to six or seven very small meals a day.
Although she had fresh water in her bowl every day, I never actually saw her drink so I even stopped her biscuits, thinking that the dry food may have caused it :?

She is absolutely fine now, on two meals a day, healthy appetite........but I still never see her drink anything :shock:

Fran
17-03-2005, 11:04 PM
My cats never drink very much on just tinned food, but if they have biscuits they seem to have an insatiable thirst :? A couple of my cats have taken to a raw meat/bone diet since we have put the dogs on it and they don't seem to drink much either.

Mags
17-03-2005, 11:08 PM
If I put s/skimmed milk down she'll drink it all but they say that milk is bad for cats don't they.......you can't win!!

Fran
17-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't think that milk is actually bad for cats, it's just that a lot of cats can't tolerate milk. If she is ok with it Mags, I wouldn't worry and I would keep giving it to her.

Mags
17-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Oh, I might just give it to her ocassionally then PK. As long as she doesn't put on too much weight - she's a little podge now! :lol:

Fran
17-03-2005, 11:20 PM
I would rather my pets a little overweight than under weight. If they do become ill at least they have some reserves :lol: I once had a cat who was quite tubby. He became very ill and lost so much weight he was like skin and bone. He did eventually make a full recovery but I dread to think what would have happened if he had not had some weight on him to see him through the illness.

Mags
17-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Oh yes, I didn't look at it that way.

Fran
17-03-2005, 11:26 PM
I do like to keep my labs a little leaner, however, so there is less strain on their hips as labs are prone to hip dysplasia. Also it is better that they are a little leaner when they are going into pup as being overweight can cause problems in pregnancy and delivery.

shonedek
19-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Truffs has come off drip today and shes so much happier.She comes out all the time now,but have to stop her playing with other cats.The swelling on her face is starting to go down and shes not losing so much fluid.Still needs drain in for a few more days.Shes eating really well and all by her self.Havent hand fed since opp.The only thing shes doing thats a bit of a worry is shes sneezing.Because its starting to heal its getting itchy and she starts to sneeze,so have to watch she dosnt split her stiches.

Mags
19-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Sam, you had me worried! Didn't hear from you for a couple of days and I thought something awful might have happened. Phew! :roll:

Good news about Truffles doing so well - every day is a day towards recovery! Awww cat's have got such lovely sneezes haven't they - sounds like it could be the healing process that's causing it. How long do the stitches have to stay in for?

Fran
19-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Awww Sam it sounds great news for Truffles. I'm sure she is well on the road to recovery now :-D

shonedek
19-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Mags i didnt mean to scare you but to be honest i have been catching up on sleep.I was totally wreacked.
Truffs is doing great.She has to go in weds and they will look to see about taking them out then.Ive taken her collar(lampshade) off when were about as she hates it.The sneezing is a little worrying as she had blood in last lot so will keep an eye.Vets think it because its healing that shes sneezing.One thing is apparent and the vets have said the same thing.Her breathing is 100 times improvedwhich means it was all worth it.

Mags
19-03-2005, 10:37 PM
That's good news Sam.

Naomi
20-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Fab news Sam

Mags
23-03-2005, 10:11 PM
How is Truffles now Sam?

shonedek
24-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Truffles is doing so well its taken us by surprise.All her stsches were removed Wednesday so she wasnt to happy yesterday.Today shes been allowed out of her pen and shes bombing round the house like a mad thing.This is the first time in her life that she has been able to run and Not collaspe like she did before.Opp total success and shes now been signed off by the vets.Just got to watch she dosnt over do herself as shes still not fully healed,and boy does she love her mum.When her face is healed i will take some photos of her but she looks such a mess it wouldnt be fair to her

Fran
24-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Great news about Truffles :-D Can't wait to see some piccies.

Mags
24-03-2005, 07:01 PM
That's terrific news Sam!! I would love to see her "bombing round the house"!! It sounds like she is just going to start having a proper life at last.....awwww!
Looking forward to seeing a pic of her.

shonedek
31-03-2005, 04:16 PM
well weve had a accident today (Truffles not me).
I was doing some spring cleaning and i took down a mirror and lent it up against the wall.Next thing i know Truffles is in full flight at this strange cat in the mirror.She went totally bozo,never seen anything like it.Blood everywhere.
Shes burst a vessel in her nasal passage and has had to be re stiched.So were starting all over again.Myself and vet sat down with a cup of tea and just started laughing as now it seems so funny.Most of mine will play with the other cat in the mirror but Truffs went out to kill it.Never mind lesson learnt

Fran
31-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Oooh Sam there is never a dull moment in your house!! At least Truffles is ok, what a shame she has put her recovery back as she seemed to be doing so well

shonedek
31-03-2005, 04:30 PM
i think the word to use is DAFT cat.Shes fine but not sure about the cat in the mirror LOL.Still makes me chuckle ,and i just hoovered up all the hair she left on the floor.Wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of her,must of been a full moon last night LOL

Moli
31-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Truffels sounds like a real character :lol: :lol:

Mags
31-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Poor Truffles, seems she's accident prone!!
It had to be her poor little nose again, didn't it :(

Good thing you can laugh at it Sam! :lol:

shonedek
31-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Still laughing now and she is doing well,think this is one i will chuckle about for a little while.You had to be there to see it,she ment it,but didnt she look stupid fighting with herself ..Like you said it had to be her nose.
Just as well it wasnt a real cat she was haveing a go at LOL

Naomi
03-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Poor Tryffles, at least she's on the mend......again

bobbie3917
03-04-2005, 12:45 PM
poor Tryffles but i will agree Sam it sounds funny