PDA

View Full Version : Animal Testing

Charleygirl
11-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Well on dw they have animal testing as a debate and cause we have none yet i thought i might start it off
so what do you all think of Animal testing???????????????????????????? :roll:

PurpleJackdaw
11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
woohoo the first debate :-D

well as I said on dw I dont agree with animal testing at all ,the suffering these animals go through is disgusting ,plus so many results are no good anyway as animals are so different to us

Charleygirl
11-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes some one agrees with me!!!!!!!! why not test on people ey
He He He

Mags
11-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Very difficult subject!

I would say definately no for testing household items (eg chemicals etc), cosmetics, food and many many, more items but............

when it comes down to medical purposes, perhaps yes. You would probably need to have had a member of your family or a very dear friend seriously ill and in terrible pain to appreciate that.

PurpleJackdaw
11-02-2005, 07:55 PM
well I have no problem with some of the nasty people in jail who have made people suffer and will never be let out of jail being used in this way ,its better than making inocent animals suffer

Mags
11-02-2005, 07:58 PM
I agree PJ but that's never going to happen.

Charleygirl
11-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Yes Mags that is a very true point and i agree with you 100%
but for all the other things its a no no

Mags
11-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Definately no for anything other than medical science.

Charleygirl
11-02-2005, 08:04 PM
100% WITH YOU mAGS
sHALL WE BOTH START SOME OTHER DEBATES

Abbi
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
I strongly agree with Mags, it's a very touchy subject, I definatley DO NOT agree with testing on animals for make-up, household etc, but for essensial treatment for people with terminal illnesses, how else do we do it???

Mags
11-02-2005, 10:32 PM
An animal is PTS if it is suffering, if we didn't have proven medicines, we just wouldn't have enough hospitals or doctors to cope with all the sick people.

dinahsmum
12-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Do you think it would be a good idea for prisoners to volunteer for testing to gain privileges or posssibly a little remission?

I'm sure drugs for humans should, ultimately, be tested on humans. Animal testing doesn't always work - look at Thalidomide, none of the animals showed birth defects.

Mags
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Somehow I don't think they would get enough volunteers DM :(

Hez
13-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Yes some one agrees with me!!!!!!!! why not test on people ey
He He He

Yeah, better still fox hunters! :evil:

PurpleJackdaw
13-02-2005, 02:18 AM
hiya Hez welcome to catpages :)
better still test on factory farmers :evil:
or anyone convicted of animal abuse ,see how they like it :twisted:

Abbi
13-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Ooooo yeah I like that PJ!

Welcome Hez, hope you enjoy Cat Pages!

Mags
13-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Yeah that's more like it PJ!!

Mags
13-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Hiya Hez, welcome to Catpages!!

If you go to the 'Your Introductions' link we'd love to hear more about your pets.......also we looooove to see pics of them!

Hope you enjoy it here!

Azz
18-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm sure drugs for humans should, ultimately, be tested on humans. Animal testing doesn't always work - look at Thalidomide, none of the animals showed birth defects.

did u know that humans actualy do get tested on? I know this is probably quite cyncical but the 'drug companies' prey on the poor. they offer money to be 'included' in tests. it's a shame the drug comapny onwers are not made to be the guinea pigs too!

I think first ALL food companies should be forced to stop putting chemicals in our food then see how many less illnesses there are and then consider testing for cures. U'd prob find that less medicines were needed because people were healthier to start of with.

does that make sense?

:-)

Mags
18-02-2005, 07:37 PM
I fully agree Azz! We seem to have far more illnesses and complaints now than we had years ago.

shonedek
18-02-2005, 11:49 PM
The problem today with illness is that your not allowed to build an immunity.Every thing to clean with is anti bacterial.You need some germs etc to build up your own imunity otherwise you will catch everything going .Ashma,exma is all on the increase along with food intolerance.Makes you wonder why

Mags
19-02-2005, 12:05 AM
That's very true Sam. Years ago cleaning was done with a good bar of carbolic soap and hot water. Nowadays we've got a cleaner for this and a cleaner for that which helps pay for it's 'inventor's' private health treatment!

Azz
23-02-2005, 11:05 AM
maybe i cant remb too well, but everything was just as clean back in those days?! boiling hot water and fairy liquid makes everything greasfree and squeaky clean!

I still blame it all on the chemicals in food!

bagpussarah
04-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I am against animal testing for make up, household cleaners etc, and would dearly love to see it banned completely. I also feel that it is probably possible to stop it for medical research if the neccesary people could set up other ways. However, I am well aware that if anyone in my family needed life saving treatment, I would agree without thinking about how that treatment was developed. I think we should be more informed about how safe medicines and treatments, that were tested on animals first, actually were when first tried on humans. One that springs to mind is the Thalidomide drug. That was tested on animals first and deemed to be safe for pregnant humans. An animal's biological make up is very different to ours, so does it really make sense to put them through so much suffering when it may not be any use to us anyway??

Sarah

Donna
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Test on prisoners who have done the worst crimes. They dont get a choice. If they are in prison - that is just part of it - they get tested on. But know that would never happen, but thats my choice.

Kim
06-02-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm definitely against animal testing for household products and cosmetics. Drugs - hmmm well that is more difficult. At present you cannot get a drug licensed unless it has been tested on animals, and just think how much we rely on antibiotics, drugs for epilepsy, diabetes, cancer drugs, etc, etc. However, testing on animals isn't a guarantee of safety as they are not human!!! I was thinking of thalidomide too - my mum was offered this drug when she was pregnant with me and she refused. Thank goodness....... The Dr Hadwen trust is a registered charity dedicated to finding alternatives to the use of animal experiments. http://www.drhadwentrust.f2s.com/ makes interesting reading and food for thought. This is an excerpt from their web site.

Millions of animals continue to be used in research and testing. Cats, dogs, rabbits, mice and other animals, no different from those we care for as pets, are used in experiments which can involve brain damage, lethal infections or heart attacks. As well as causing pain and suffering, animal testing is scientifically unsatisfactory because differences between people and animals can give rise to misleading results.

We want medical research to succeed in finding cures and treatments for human health problems. But we also believe that causing suffering to anima ls in experiments is unacceptable in a civilised society. So the Dr Hadwen Trust funds medical research to replace animals experiments. We have successfully developed new non-animal research techniques that have saved thousands of animals and made a real contribution to the fight against human illness.

CathyW
06-02-2006, 11:53 AM
a few years ago hubby n myself was out side huntigdon life sciences protesting against animal testing,did u know its against the law to call their workers scum, aparently they find it offensive :roll: i was almost arrested for that :oops: testing on animals for make up and cleaning products thats a no-no, but for drugs thats a grey area, did u know that morphine will drive a cat hyper,but on humans its a sedative, so obiously they are not getting a true n accurate reading are they, id put my self up for drug testing,heck with a bad back n sholder let me test painkillers,and with angina ill test the heart tabs,

Kay
06-02-2006, 01:57 PM
At present you cannot get a drug licensed unless it has been tested on animals, and just think how much we rely on antibiotics, drugs for epilepsy, diabetes, cancer drugs, etc, etc. However, testing on animals isn't a guarantee of safety as they are not human!!!

How true.

A certain amount of testing, where drugs are concerned, are at present necessary but do not always provide accurate results. Our bodies are very different in many ways. My two children are living proof of this. They both have a syndrome called Fetal Anti-Convulsant Syndrome (F.A.C.S.). This was caused by my anti-epileptic drugs while they were in the womb. Apparently nothing showed up in the animal tests. Although the drugs control my epilepsy well the problems my kids have to endure are totally unfair. The eldest has Aspergers ( a form of Autism), Epilepsy, learning difficulties and an abnormal jaw which he will have to have an operation on. This involves breaking both jaws and pinning the bottom one further back. The youngest has Autistic tendencies, ADHD, Epilepsy, learning difficulties and is also going through treatment on hi legs and he has always walked on his toes.

CJK
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
i HATE animal testing, have you seen how those poor animals suffer? not only subjected to all sorts of tests but kept in tiny cages too.
It's wrong.
get the companies who test on animals, lock up all thier workers, and test on them!

Susan
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Its interesting to read that in 2008 there are still people who think that testing drugs etc on animals is right.

Obviously these people have never read anything on experiments. If they had they would realise that it is all a fast. Brain washing or what. It does not work.

There are companies out there that have made wonderful break in medical science by testing on tissue cells from dead humans. Because this is classed as barbaric, it is not accepted because dead bodies are used!!! It is more acceptable to use animals with no pain relief.

Wonder if these people have ever been into a lab? Or would they have nightmares for the rest of your life if you did? I know people who have had mental breakdowns after seeing what goes on.

Animals are not humans. A drug cannot be safely tested on an animal and then be used on a human.

I had a police friend once who was called out in the middle of the night to a lab. He found a little dog, pinned down on a table on its back. Its legs were broken so it could be tied to the table. Its voice box had been cut so it could not make a noise. It was wide awake. It was cut open with its insides laying beside it. When the hometime bell had rang at 5 pm the little dog was left until the next day, when the experiment could continue.

Medical research is very barbaric, cruel and a waste of time and suffering. DO SOME SENSIBLE READING PLEASE. Do not be fooled by claims of drug companies progress. Support people like Dr Hadwin trust and Quest cancer research.

We did not accept what went on in the war, so why think its ok now cos its an animal? Do you all really think we are more important than they are?

Do not be nieve.

Az
08-07-2008, 01:02 AM
This thread was started back in 2005 Susan :lol:

Might be worth creating a new one as people may have changed their mind on the topic since then :D

Susan
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM
This may be old, but sadly still the view of many. Nothing changes in the world of animals. Believe me, I work in it. It is still a fresh arguement. People still share the view that research for medical science must be done on animals. Show me where the laws have changed or peoples views.

Az
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
This may be old, but sadly still the view of many. Nothing changes in the world of animals. Believe me, I work in it. It is still a fresh arguement. People still share the view that research for medical science must be done on animals. Show me where the laws have changed or peoples views.

I know what you mean - the minute we think things are progressing we're starkly reminded they're not. Some people still hold backwards views about lots of things, makes you wonder whether there is any hope for mankind!

Anyway, glad you got it off your chest and feel a little better for it - drop by from time to time, you don't need to 'join in' on a regular basis, not everyone has the time to.

Off-topic posts have been removed.

CathyW
10-07-2008, 09:16 PM
my thoughts are still the same as b4.

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:26 PM
i think this is very wrong! and it should be stopped