PDA

View Full Version : Boys or girls?

Moli
10-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I have always had tom cats, which do you have and why?

Abbi
10-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I have two girls and Archie is a boy - i love them all but Archie my boy is MUCH more affectionate.

Mags
10-02-2005, 11:21 PM
My first cat was a tom - a gorgeous cat, very loving INDOORS but when he was out he ruled his patch and was forever coming home with bites, I'm sure he was the most regular patient at the vets!!

My second cat is Cassie, a very gentle timid cat and very dainty. I thought I would have a change from a tough tom!!

Abbi
10-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Cassie is a little angel. How old was your other cat Mags??

Mags
10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Sam was 12/13 when he was PTS.

PurpleJackdaw
10-02-2005, 11:27 PM
I have 3 boys and 2 girls
all have been neutered and I find it makes the girls more grumpy
Stripy mannaged to be a dad when he was still young and I thought he was too young at the time to know what to do :-D ,but after he started spraying everywhere (even on me! :shock: ) he had to get the snip

Mags
10-02-2005, 11:31 PM
That's the trouble with the boys PJ, they start early and the spraying is unacceptable.

shonedek
11-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Theres nothing worse then the smell of tom cat,however as pets i personally think they are much more loving then the girls.Thats what i have found in Persians anyhow

Mags
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree Sam, my Sam was really loving and I could do anything with him but Cassie hates being cuddled - she'll come up on my lap and have lots of fusses but if I pick her up she pulls away and struggles to get down :(

PurpleJackdaw
11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I used to have a blue persian boy ,he was such a great boy
I remember once I was quite upset and crying on my own and he found me and he seemed to realise I was upset ,he didnt leave me alone till he had cheered me up ,he had never acted like that before because he wasnt a demanding cat ,I really miss him ,I think someone stole him as I used to let him outside and he loved it and where I lived at the time in the highlands with my nearest neighbour a mile away I thought he would be ok ,but there were some holiday cottages near us I think perhaps one of the tourists might have took him as he just disapeared one day and there was no sign of him anywhere :cry:
I'll need to find some piccys of Izzy to post

Abbi
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Oh how sad, I bet you miss him. My pedidgrees don't go out just for that reason I am scared that somebody will steal them, or they would get run over, I know some people don't agree with keeping them indoors but for me I am happy with it and they get soooo much entertainment. Archie is so affectionate, much much more than the girls.

Mags
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
If I had pedigrees I don't think I would let them out for that reason - temptation is too much for some people.

A few years ago a lot of cats (moggies) were disappearing from Bristol and the local press said they were being stolen for their coats :(

Abbi
11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
oh that is gross Mags!

I saw a lady in the street this week with a full fur coat on - I could not stop myself, I said in a VERY load voice - that fur is meant to be on a animal not your back!!!

PurpleJackdaw
11-02-2005, 01:23 PM
good for you Abbi

I read years ago that some of the cat toys you can buy in pet shops with real fur are made with stolen pet cats fur :cry:

Mags
11-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Good for you Abbi!

I heard that too PJ....and it's sometimes mixed with rabbit fur :(

Abbi
11-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Ohhh no I have a little mouse for amber and looking at it I think it might be real fur - that is really upsetting, I wont be buying any more of them :O(

Azz
18-02-2005, 07:05 PM
my parents have had a mixture, we have a female at mo but want a male next :-)

PaulaB
20-02-2005, 03:29 PM
I have 3 cats 2 female 1 male. Tippy is a little queen a total minx but is starting to enjoy cuddles. Socks is a little tom but doesn't like cuddles much,exept he wants cuddles from his mum. Queenie is Tippy and Socks mum (I went for the 2 kittens but when they said it could be curtains for mum she had to come home with me) she is very nervy and is always begging for cuddles and reasurrance, who ever had her before beat her up because she reacts to everything. She is affectionate to everything on 2 legs her children and the dog not so, she gets ratty with Socks for bugging her and really gets cross with the dog. She hated the dog at first sight, but now rubs against the dog affectionatly then remembers that she doesn't like the dog and gets huffy. She is so nervous that she is at the moment a house cat, but I want to put a covered pen in part of the garden so they can go out can anyone give me some advice on how to do that.

Mags
20-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello PaulaB and welcome to Catpages! :smt039

Sounds as though you have your hands full with your family of pets!

It does sound like Queenie had a bad life before she came to you - give her plenty of affection and you will be rewarded. What breed of dog do you have?

I'm sorry I can't help with any advice regarding a covered pen in the garden but maybe someone on here may come along with some ideas.

Also, we LOVE pics of everyones pets on here so it would be great if you had some of your little 'family'

Hope you enjoy it here!

Abbi
20-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Paula :smt039

Welcome to CP!

My mum has a enclose cat pen that has been constructed against the back of the house - so when she opens her back door its almost like an outside conservatory which has no glass - hope that makes sense??? My ex built it for her - but you can also buy stand alone ones, if you buy a cat magazine from W H Smtih they are in the back - they are quite expensive, but you might be able to get some ideas??

Enjoy catpages Paula !

Abbi

bobbie3917
20-02-2005, 04:25 PM
well Ragdolls are not the type to go out at all. they are to trusting and would either be pinched or get beat up all the time as very few of them will fight back.

and i think i will stip to she cats but you never know ;)

PaulaB
20-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Hello PaulaB and welcome to Catpages! :smt039

Sounds as though you have your hands full with your family of pets!

It does sound like Queenie had a bad life before she came to you - give her plenty of affection and you will be rewarded. What breed of dog do you have?

I'm sorry I can't help with any advice regarding a covered pen in the garden but maybe someone on here may come along with some ideas.

Also, we LOVE pics of everyones pets on here so it would be great if you had some of your little 'family'

Hope you enjoy it here!

How do you post them I have a really good one of Socks being delt with by mom. As for Lucy she is a blue merle rough collie who has (as far as the cats are concerned) a REALLY bad habit of snitching, if they do anything wrong she will push them away from it or if she can't reach come and get one of us!!!! Gets a lot of nose swats for that!

shonedek
20-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Covered pens.We are in the process of building a cat safe garden/pen.I breed persians and the boys have to live outside.There sheds which are fully lined and have electric for heaters and radio are 6 feet square and then the run is also 6 feet square.The roof of the run is the clear corrigated plastic..We are now putting a large summer house up to link the pens with this .All the way round we are putting up wire so cats cant get through then over the top using fruit cage net to stop any trying to come over the top.I will be able to open up the boys pens and basicly let them run in the garden.Also my girls which live in the house with us can be able to go outside.We will just open the back door knowing that they are safe in the garden

Mags
20-02-2005, 06:16 PM
[quote="PaulaB

How do you post them I have a really good one of Socks being delt with by mom.

Paula, if you go to 'Your Pictures' in the main forum index you will find full instructions there of how to get your pics on here. By the way do you use a digi camera?

Abbi
20-02-2005, 06:21 PM
LOL - I can't help laughing at me and Mags giving advise on posting pics! We both took ages to get it right and eventually get them on - now there is no holding us back!!!

Mags
20-02-2005, 06:29 PM
:lol: Aww Abbi you've gone and given the game away now!! :lol:

Yes Paula, it does seem complicated at first, in fact I thought I'd never be able to do it, then with a lot of encouragement from 'this lot' on here I suddenly managed it one day!! :lol: Then there's no looking back, you'll be sending pics of everything!!
Have you checked out the 'pictures' section?

Abbi
20-02-2005, 06:39 PM
yeah pics of everything Paula - including cakes!!!! You must think I am mad!

Mags
20-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Has it all gone yet Abs?

Abbi
20-02-2005, 07:09 PM
yep! :smt022 :smt078