PDA

View Full Version : Getting a cat

Naomi
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Okay guy's u've twisted my arm.

I am defo gonna have a chat with hubby and break, oops sorry meant TWIST his arm to let me have a cat again.

I'm not looking for any particular breed as that doesn't really bother me.

What would u suggest would be the best things to buy a new kitten and how would u introduce it to a new home and other pets?

I know I've had to do it with dogs and my last kitten she was an only pet and there were no kids involved either.

Mags
08-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Woohoo!!!
That's brilliant Nae, I hope he agrees-tell him we'll keep pestering him if he doesn't! :lol:

When I had my first cat I just started with a litter tray, bag of litter, scoop, 2 food/water bowls and a toy. And of course kitten/cat food. The first bed was a suitable cardboard box with anything that would do as bedding.

I can't help with introducing it to another pet but I'm sure your kiddies would love it.
Good luck!!!

Naomi
08-02-2005, 07:50 PM
:lol: I'll let him know Mags

Mags
08-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I hope he will agree Nae!

Abbi
08-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Oh WOWOWOWOWOW! I bet your really excited!!! I think Mags has covered everything that you need - if you buy a nice cosy bed it probably wont sleep in it anyway, it will find a place that it is happy sleeping! Where do you think you might go to get one???

Naomi
08-02-2005, 08:22 PM
ermm not sure yet.

I'm not particularly looking for a pedigree cat. It all depends on what hubby says :lol:

shonedek
08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
it deepends on the age of the other pets and what they are as to how to introduce.I have always done it this way as i have cats and dogs.When new baby comes home put them in one room ,so as 1 they dont get lost in house as its all new to them2they can find tray food etc without being pressured by other cats3they have time to feel there feet,get to know who you are as basicly your a total stranger to them.One tip i have found that works really well is when new baby comes home give all your pets a coating of talc.It doesnt hurt them but they all smell the same so thats less pressure.Let already existing cats go to the room your new baby is in as he will be more confident with his surroundings but dont leave unattended.After a couple of days you can leave door open and they should be fine.Dogs have to be introduced very slowly.Try and keep things very low key with the dogs although thats easier said then done.
When Ozzy came home he just walked in said hi to everyone and we had no trouble.Hes been the most easy one ever

Naomi
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Well I got a 7/8 year old staffordshire bull terrier who's as soft as anything. Infact he'll run from the kitten :lol:

dinahsmum
08-02-2005, 09:13 PM
weh-hey Nae!!!!!! Glad you've been persuaded.

I think I read somewhere that the best way to introduce/acclimatise a resident, adult dog to a kitten is for them to only meet kitty in its crate/carrier for about 3 or 4 days. They both get confident of each others presence and the dog gets protective feelings for the kit rather than prey-chase.

Your Jas is a big soppy anyway but it would prevent him getting toooo excited at the arrival of his new playmate. Give 'em a week and they'll be snuggled in bed together! :)

Sure other people know better than me. I've always just done it without any science or much thought on how..........

Naomi
08-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Yep they probably would be curled up together in his bed :lol:

bobbie3917
08-02-2005, 09:57 PM
well if my lot can do it then Jas can :D

Mags
08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Has Paul given the ok yet Nae??

Naomi
09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Not asked yet cos he didn't come home till 11ish last night. He goes to college on a Tuesday night but will ask him tonight

Mags
09-02-2005, 02:11 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/crossedfingers.gif

bobbie3917
09-02-2005, 03:53 PM
well good luck fingers crossed for

Abbi
09-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Let us know Na!!!

Naomi
09-02-2005, 05:49 PM
I will guys don't worry

Azz
10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Cooooooooooooooool!!!

Cant wait to see what ur likkle baby is gonna b like :-)

Good luck!