PDA

View Full Version : Oliver's peeing in Luna's basket

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi all

Its been a while, but I really need some help....

Oliver's litterbox had its place on the balcony (closed with windows) and a catdoor in the door to the balcony.

Well its been fine in the summer, but now he's started to pee in Luna's (my dog) basket.

I've got ideas for what it can be.

1: He doesnt think the litterbox is clean enough. (I empty it for clumps morning and afternoon)
2: He find it too cold on the balcony (even though its closed, its still freezingly cold out there.

I have had the box inside for a few days, as we had a hurricane, and I didnt want Oliver out on the balcony if the windows were gonna crash (highly unlikely, but hey rather safe than sorry) and he didnt pee.

So yesterday morning I put it out on the balcony again. And this morning he had peed in the basket....

So what do you think? Can cats have it too cold? He's an indoor cat, as I live on the first floor in an appartment building. He's 8 (9 on march 29.) years old, castrated at the age of 6 months.

Jeanette

Abbi
16-01-2005, 07:18 PM
I have just read a book on cat behaviour (Cat Confidential by Vicky Halls) it covers behaviour like this. It could be so many different things, but you may have hit the nail on the head with the position of the tray, it might be that he had taken a dislike to the litter itself, but more likey the position - try moving it to a safe warm place when he can pee and poo in private. Good luck, I recommend the book highly! It might help? Abbi x

Mags
16-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Hi Jeanette, nice to see you again.

I can only think that Oliver doesn't like going outside in the cold. My cat Cassie has a litter tray indoors and a cat flap to the garden but she doesn't like going outside much in the winter. Very often she will go out for about two minutes and then come in to use her litter tray. I would bring the tray indoors for a bit.......as he may get too used to the smell in Luna's basket.
Good luck!

By the way, is it very cold in Denmark now?

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys
Well I've moved the litterbox inside again. My biggest problem is I have a weird shaped appartment, but I do believe I've found him a private corner :)

Abbi: I've written the title and author down, so will look for it :)

Mags: Well its around 3-5 degrees celsius, so just a tad over freezing point. It was prety cold this morning at dogtraining..... I wonder what I was thinking, paying for another season.. I must have happily forgot about the winter :roll:

Abbi
16-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Ta will do :)

Mags
16-01-2005, 09:04 PM
:lol:
I don't envy you dogtraining in the cold!

I hope everthing works out alright with Oliver, keep us informed how it goes.

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Oh I dont mind really. We are both very tired when we come home :) with a clean concience (sp?)

Mags
16-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Is Luna doing well with her training?

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 09:27 PM
She is :) Thanks.

She's a bit of a nutter. Have a treat in your hand, and she'll do almost anything you ask of her :)

Hmm it seems aall my animals are nuts..... Wonder if its something to do with me? Nah cant be :wink:

Mags
16-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Aahh, she sounds great company.

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Oh she is. She's the best thing (after Oliver) I have ever given myself :)

And I havent regretted it for one second

Mags
16-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Aawww that's nice!

Abbi
16-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Have you any pics you can post? Would love to see!

Jeanette
16-01-2005, 10:08 PM
I've posted a few on the "cat grass" post, but here's a few more:

I love this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna/Olivercomfy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna/MymanOliver.jpg

the latest of Luna:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna/mumlookatteddy.jpg

She's carrying my earwarmer in this pic. She loves to carry things:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/lunamus/Luna/Lunahelpingmum.jpg

Enjoy :)

Abbi
16-01-2005, 10:12 PM
They are great pics!!! I love cats have 3 myself - but your dog is beautiful!!!!!

Mags
16-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Aawww the first pic is so cute! He looks so relaxed on the TV!

Do you show Luna - I ask because she looks in such good condition.

Jeanette
17-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys :D

No I haven't showed her yet, but I'm thinking about it. I just havent had the money for it yet - or the "education".

Right now she's "just" my companion, but I really would like to see what experienced judges think of her. To me she's gorgeous:D

Naomi
17-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Awww J Oliver is such a lovely cat and Luna is such a babe

Jeanette
17-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks a bunch :)

Mags
17-01-2005, 02:21 PM
How is Oliver doing today Jeanette regarding his toilet habits?

Azz
18-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi J :smt039

Let us kno how u get on!

Another thing is, he may be marking his territory because lunas smell is so strong, try bathing them both with the same shampoo so their smells r the same :-)