PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new cat owner, needs advice

hippowarrior
07-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi
I recently homed two cats from our local cats protection ( about 7 months ago) they are the 1st cats I have ever had. CPL told me that they are sisters and could not be parted under any circumstances, as they were found in a back garden, where there owners had left them when they moved house, they rescued one first then the other, and said that the first one pined for her sister while trying to catch the 2nd.

Anyway, they bloody hate each other!!

they are always fighting and hurting each other, the one who seemed dominant at first went missing for a week and we found under next doors shed, we were never really sure what happened to her, but she had a cracked pelvis, we had to keep them apart for quite a while cos the healthy one kept trying to fight her and she just wasn't strong enough to fight back, we gradually re-introduced them, and the dominant/submissive rolls changed,
now the weaker of the two is always getting hurt, recently the "big" one bit her on the back leg which went bad and sent her a bit lame, which was another vets trip and another stint separated (which was the litles ones choice) then the other day I found a nasty bite on the little ones neck, which isn't giving her any grief but the big one always seems to know exactly were to bite her or scratch her.
They are both happy in their own rights and gett equal amounts of love and attention, they are both my babies and I would never part with them.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stop them "spatting". and whether the introduction of another cat would be a good idea?

Also as a side line they are wrecking my wallpaper with their scratching, even though they have a big scratching post.

I would really appreciate any advice.

:-D

shonedek
07-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi There
Unfortanatly some cats hate each other with avengance.I have 2 who only have to look at each other and they start.There is nothing you can do.They will learn to stay out of each others way or move when they have to.This is actually quite common and its somthing you have to learn to live with.Just make sure that they are never shut in with each other or leave an escape route open for them.
As to wall paper you can try rudding fresh lemon on the spot that they like to claw at or stick double sided sticky tape on the area.Cats hate gettint there feet stuck.Hope this helps

Azz
07-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Hippo and welcome to Catpages! :smt039

I'd get them neutred as it seems they are just coming into heat and females are like males where they will fight. Once spayed should be ok.

Maybe try cat deterrent on the wallpaper?
We had to just tell Cheetah NO whenever she did it, although we didnt have much wallpaper. Its consitancy that pays off (can be hard work tho)
good luck!

Abbi
07-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Hiya and welcome to Catpages!

It's weird you should post that because I have a friend with a similar situation, she has two cats that have been living together for 6 years happy as larry - she sister has moved in wtih her and bought along her cat - and the house is in turmoil - they all hate each other - she did everything correct in the way she introduced them, but things are not improving and its a month on - she is witnessing very very bad fights and its very distressing for her - she contacted the vet and they said that she needs to give it six months before she starts to worry!

She might be getting a cat behaviour counsellor in to help as its reducuing her to tears!

I do hope you get your situation sorted out and things start to improve!

Abbi

Mags
07-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Hippowarrior and welcome to Catpages :smt039
I can't add anything to what the others have said but I hope things start to improve as it must be very trying for you and a test for your patience.
Good luck!

hippowarrior
07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks abbi, azz and shonedek
I really appreciate the advice, they are both spayed already, and I tried "get off" spray, it works for about 1/2 an hour and not before nearly choking us to death.
I can cope with the spats, its just that the little one - her name is Paige- seems to get hurt so easily, she seems to be so weak since her accident.
I do wonder whether I am a bad Mum?!? I,ve tried to feed her up but it hasn't worked.
They have about 8 places round the house where they scratch, and I am not there during the day to tell them off, fortunatley we have only re-decorated one room so far, still they've managed to trash that too.
What makes me laugh is that sometimes I can walk in on them and they are curled up together grooming each other, I just can't seem to find a link or trigger to their fighting! :?
Thanks again for your advice.
:D

Mags
07-01-2005, 10:36 PM
My cat Cassie tends to claw the wallpaper in the hallway as it is a thicker paper and she can sink her claws into it! I am forever going round with a glue stick to stick it back down before my OH sees it!! :lol:

I'm sure you're a good 'mum' to the little ones, it just so happens that one is more timid than the other. The fact that you sometimes find them curled up together seems promising.

shonedek
07-01-2005, 10:44 PM
sometimes spaying works but at the end of the day if they hate each other theres not a lot that can be done.Its no different then people that hate each other and all animals are just the same.The problem is you dont know there full background and will never know.They may have hated each other from day one ,also may of scratched things from day one.If they are not taught to use scratch post (scratch post only) and start using house its very difficult to stop them.Your not a bad mum its just the way they are.I have to the same and they totally hate each other.

hippowarrior
07-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks again all, everyone is so friendly and helpful. I read one book that says to put the scratch post in a prominent position when we're not there, does that work?
Before Paige had her accident, they never used to fight just the odd hissy fit at each other!!
They are such lovely characters, Paige loves to come to bed with me and litterally sits there waiting for me to pick up my book, and her job as she sees it, is to keep my book mark warm! but not till she's pedalled to her hearts contenet lol.
Paige is a little motor mouth, her purrrrrr is just so loud and she perches on the end of the bed and don't move an inch all night, I love them both soo much, but poor old Paige always seems to be in the wars.
Any idea's what I could put on her most recent war wound to help it heal?

Mags
07-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Paige sounds lovely!
My previous cat used to get in lots of fights and came home many a time with punctured ears and bites on his head and neck. They nearly always turned septic and I was forever taking him to the vets for antibiotics. However, I was told by the vet to bathe his wounds with diluted TCP and it seemed to do the trick.

Naomi
08-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi welcome to Catpages Hippowarrior.

As Mags says diluted TCP or a little salt water.

Abbi
08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah I was going to suggest warm salt water - your doing the best you can, don't doubt yourself! They sound like right little characters, maybe buy a cat behaviour book?

Glad you joined cat pages - at least you can off-load to us if your feeling a bit down about things - we will always be here to listen.

And if you happen to have a digital camera we LOVE to see pictures of your little one?

Abbi

hippowarrior
08-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi guys
I will try the salt water. (TCP assaults my nose tooo much !)
I noticed that her scab had been knocked off again last night.
I will try and take a couple of pics opn my camera phone, email them to myself, and put them on

What do you think about introducing another cat?
:?

Abbi
08-01-2005, 12:40 PM
To be honest I think another cat would just add to your troubles, you need to get harmony between these two before another one comes along!

What do we call you - or would you rather be known as Hippo?

Abbi :O)

Azz
08-01-2005, 03:21 PM
lol yeah get a 'bloke cat' in there to sort them out!
Only joking!

I know it may sound daft but try bathing them (seperately) with the same shampoo, it may be that the 'vet's smell' is still on her and the other one doesn't like it? (smells are so important for cats).

Also yeah cooled down boiled water with a little salt is probably best for wounds :-)

shonedek
08-01-2005, 05:58 PM
As Azz said it could also be the smell.If you cant bath your cats then use baby talc on both cats, rub all over.It wont do them any harm.We use it all the time on Persians as it helps to stop knotting.They will both smell the same and this just may do the trick

hippowarrior
08-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi all
You can call me Nardine, my screen name comes from a group that I spent a fortnight with in Africa on a hippo sanctuary!!
I have had them for a good few months now so I don't thing the smell thing is a factor, I think I will just have to get used to them having their spats.
Have been out and bought cotton balls today to start bathing Paige's sore.
;-)

Abbi
08-01-2005, 07:06 PM
It's weird as sometimes they seem to be happy together?

Sounds amazing that you went to a Hippo Sanctuary!! I went to Kenya a few years ago and went on Safari it was mind blowing!

hippowarrior
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
bloomin hot though!! I nearly passed out and got really de-hydrated, still it was the opportunity of a life-time.
The girls are in "hate each other mode" tonight" I think they know they're doing wrong when I raise my voice at them and shout OI!

Abbi
08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Awwww bless em! A stern "NO" does no harm to mine when they are being naughty!