PDA

View Full Version : showing cats

lel
10-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Does anyone actually show their cat/s on catpages ?
If so what exactly is involved?
I show both my dogs but wouldnt have a clue as to whats expected at a cat show :wink:

Azz
11-11-2004, 01:04 AM
i've never been to a dog show so dont kno what goes on there!

Been to a couple of Cat shows tho :-)

Not sure what goes on 'judging wise' tho! I just like to see all the stunning cats!

Heather might know - where are u Heather!?

shonedek
11-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi ,i show dogs also and have taken up cat showing.The entries are basically the same.Your cat is vetted in by a vet and if they find ear mites you are dissqualified and you need to take with you full vaccination with you.They dont do that with the dogs.The only thing about cat shows i dont like is the pens are small and you have to leave while judging takes place.Graet if its a saturday as you can go to nearest town and shop,but ive been in the middle of no where and had to sit in the car for hours.Haveing said that its great fun ,dont take it to seriously(enjoy for what it is) and like dog shows you need a thick skin :D
Sam and the gang

Mags
11-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Sorry can't help Lel.....I've only got a moggy.....but she is loved just as much as any other cat! :wink:

Azz
12-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi ,i show dogs also and have taken up cat showing.The entries are basically the same.Your cat is vetted in by a vet and if they find ear mites you are dissqualified and you need to take with you full vaccination with you.They dont do that with the dogs.The only thing about cat shows i dont like is the pens are small and you have to leave while judging takes place.Graet if its a saturday as you can go to nearest town and shop,but ive been in the middle of no where and had to sit in the car for hours.Haveing said that its great fun ,dont take it to seriously(enjoy for what it is) and like dog shows you need a thick skin :D
Sam and the gang

didnt knwo they made u leave completely! Id be scared they might hurt my baby! :shock:

shonedek
12-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Yes you have to leave while judging goes on.your not allowed to watch.However your cats are very safe because of all the stewards there.There shouldnt be anyone else in the show when judging is going on so they know who shouldnt be there.Thats the only down side to showing cats,totally different to dogs
Sam

Mags
12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Quite strict aren't they :roll:

shonedek
12-11-2004, 11:06 PM
it is strict,but its there for the saftey of the cats and the exhibitor.Its a shame there not like it with the dogs.No proof of vaccination or vetting in at dog shows.And dogs have been stolen from dog shows.

bobbie3917
18-12-2004, 04:25 PM
it is strict,but its there for the saftey of the cats and the exhibitor.Its a shame there not like it with the dogs.No proof of vaccination or vetting in at dog shows.And dogs have been stolen from dog shows.

and some dogs even get druged :shock:

i hope to star showing Mittens next year. but will have to find 1 that is not to far away. i know you had to leave but how long far?

shonedek
18-12-2004, 06:44 PM
you normally leave for a few hours but it depends on the show.We all get together in the back of a van and have a picnic.Its great fun

bobbie3917
19-12-2004, 12:55 AM
cant wait till i go tomy first 1

shonedek
19-12-2004, 02:34 PM
its great fun and a brill way of meeting people with the same interestsWe will probably meet you at the shows .one thing i will say though is go for the fun of the showing ,dont go to win.It can be a very funny game

Jac
27-08-2005, 02:05 PM
has anyone been to show there cats yet?

How old do they have to be?

bobbie3917
27-08-2005, 02:50 PM
nope i have not yet Jac not had time

i think they can start ay about 4 months but i may be wrong i know it is younger than pups which is 6 months

Jac
27-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I can understand you not having the time! you must be really tiered and it's just the start!

bobbie3917
27-08-2005, 05:14 PM
LOL you can say that again and this is the biggest litter we have had every :lol: plus i have 3 young kids (which are more work then all the pets put together)

Jac
27-08-2005, 05:48 PM
As a mother and step mother 6 in all I know exactly what you mean. Give me animals anyday!!!
O'h just to make you feel better (haha) they get worse as teenagers, the little ones are the best :roll:

Maine Coon slave
04-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi
I used to show my Maine Coon boys, our Kevin is a Supreme Champion!!! and boy does he know it!

There are two main bodies for showing - GCCF and FiFe. If you show with GCCF you are not allowed to decorate the cage and bedding and bowls etc must all be white, also once the judging strts you are not allowed in the hall until they've about finished (usually a couple of hours). With FiFe you can put anything in the cage you like, curtains, toys food etc and decorate it as much as you want and they often have prizes for best dressed cage!! (bit naff, but fun) Also, with FiFe the cats are taken to the judges table by a steward and everyone can see the judging and hear what the judge thinks of each cat. The first time I showed with them it was sooooo nerve racking as I loved my like 7month baby no matter what they thought but obviously didn't want him slated in public either.
If you're thinking of doing it, you need to be pretty thick skinned as it can be a very "catty" world and some breeders like others and then not someone lese etc depending on who you bought your cats from is whether they like you or not.
I stopped showing with the Cat Association (UK representative body of FiFe) because they got too clicky and if your face didn't fit your cat got nowhere. I wsa only doing it for a hobby so didn't mind but felt it was wrong that anything other than their standard of points should be influencing the decisions.
Sorry, I've gone on a bit!!

cheers

Mags
04-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Thank you MCS for an insight of what goes on in the show circuit. What a shame there is a 'not so nice' side to it.....it should be fun and a nice hobby but as in all walks of life there are those who spoil it for others :roll:
Congratulations to your Kevin for being a Supreme Champion.....at least he made you proud before your disillusionment :D

Oh, and you didn't 'go on a bit' :lol: ....we are always interested to hear of people's experiences in the cat world :wink:

Thanks!

Fran
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
It's great to get an insight into what goes on a shows. What a shame your fun was spoilt and you stopped showing your cats :(

Maine Coon slave
04-09-2005, 02:18 PM
thanks girls for the comments, it was a shame we stopped showing but it was no fun with the big associations. There are a few small one like the Independent Pet Cat Society and they are friendlier because not so many breeders involved. They also encourage more pets nd moggies to be involved which is great. I was with them for a while but it got embarrassing when Kevin got Cat of the Year 3 yrs in a row! I moved house and went through a divorce at the same time so I just drifted away and have not got back to it yet. I am hoping ot find a Maine Coon girl soon to add to our family and I have thought of showing her too. So if anyone knows of one let me know!
cheers

Mags
04-09-2005, 02:26 PM
What a shame that some breeders have to think they are better that all others with regard to showing :roll:

I hope you find your Maine Coon girl soon MCS and good luck if you get back into showing again :wink:

smudgley
04-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Never been involved with showing cats - but have shown dogs on & off for many years. (not any more though)
Sounds like cat showing is more fairly judged than dog showing. A lot of dog show judges tend to judge the one on the wrong end of the lead if you know what I mean :evil:

Fran
04-09-2005, 11:03 PM
A lot of dog show judges tend to judge the one on the wrong end of the lead if you know what I mean :evil:

:lol: @ Smudgley!!

bobbie3917
05-09-2005, 12:05 AM
im on a few MC groups and when i first joined it was very hard to ask quetions i now think i have 1 or 2 friends there that i can now ask what i like to (and my girls breeder as well)

i have heard some nice and not so nice stories about showing cats and i dont think its for me, well not yet (skin to thin :lol: )

thanks for the info MCS

Mags
05-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I think you have summed it up Nat by saying you have to be thick skinned :roll:

madpiano
31-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Can you show moggies ? And what kind of moggies can you show ?

Kay
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi
As a shower and breeder of Persians I have to say that not everyone is the same and I have met some extremely friendly and helpful people through showing my cats. I also showed dogs for a while and the cat show world is a lot fairer and more healthy for the cats. Dog shows have no protection at a show like the cats do with the vetting in process. Also everytime a judge or steward handleds a different cat the disinfect their hands to stop the spread of any possible germs this doesn't happen very often in the dog world.
If you are considering showing then the best thing to do is send for some schedules for cat shows from cat clubs. A list of all shows held in the UK along with the names and address of the show managers is available from the GCCF for £4.00, I think this is the current price. You have to send your entry into the show/section manager about 5-6 weeks before the show. The average cost for a Household Pet, that it is a non pedigree cat, is £22 and for a pedigree £28. This includes your cats pen for the day and entry into four classes. You can enter more classes if you wish at extra cost but in my opinion four is plenty. As previously stated you will need a white blanket, white litter tray and litter, white food bowl and a white water bowl. The food bowl must be removed before judging starts and nothing else must be in the pen as you will be disqualified. Your cat will need to have had all its booster up to date and you must prove this by taking your vaccination card along. The cats are examined by a vet before being allowed into the show, this is really nerve wracking as they can refuse you entry for the slightest thing e.g. dirty eyes, ears, fleas etc. Vetting in is usually about 7.45am till 9.30am with judging starting about 10.00am when everyone must leave the hall. You are usually allowed back in about 12.30pm as well as the public. Kittens can be shown from the age of 14 weeks and are classed as an adult at 9months. Any moggie can be shown but must be neutered by the time they are 9 months. Pedigree registered cats can be shown as either an entire or a neuter in different classes though. This might sound really complicated but it isn't and once you have got the bug you can't shake it off. If you would like anymore info please e-mail me on tilsie@tesco.net. Good Luck there are plenty of lovely people out there in the cat show world so come along and meet us.

Kay, Tilsie Persians.
:cat4

logoes
07-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Many year ago you used to have the dogs 'Vetted' at shows, but it ceased in about 1968 I think, I think I remember being told that ou couldn't take a cat to a show oftener than once a fortnight - to avoid rtransmitting any infection, but perhaps that is also a thing of the past. I've been to several cat shows - first one was way back in l968 when I took my two small boys to meet the first of the Blue Peter cats, If I remember right it was a siamese called Jason - anyone else as old as me to remember if I'm right? I am thinking of going again if I can find one fairly close as had last cat pts in December and beginning to feel the need for more paddy paws around the house . Although I'll probably finish up with a rescue, most of our other cats have been given to us or just moved in .

Fran
07-01-2006, 09:40 PM
first one was way back in l968 when I took my two small boys to meet the first of the Blue Peter cats, If I remember right it was a siamese called Jason - anyone else as old as me to remember if I'm right?

Jason was indeed a Blue Peter cat..a seal point Siamese. He was born on 3 May 1964.When he was a kitten his back leg was broken by "a wild Tom Cat" and had to be pinned. He sired two litters of kittens, one seal points and the other a cross with a Burmese. He lived with Mrs Menezes, who looked after all the Blue Peter animals in Sussex and died on 17 January 1976 of kidney failure.

Here he is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/Jason.jpg

bobbie3917
08-01-2006, 08:19 PM
u still cant go to more than 1 show per house not cat every 14 days
so if 1 cat goes to 1 show today then no cat in your home can go to another show for 14 days

and they now have a ragdoll on Bluepeter

Kay
10-01-2006, 10:53 AM
u still cant go to more than 1 show per house not cat every 14 days
so if 1 cat goes to 1 show today then no cat in your home can go to another show for 14 days

and they now have a ragdoll on Bluepeter

You can actual show different cats from your household at a different show but on the same day but then not again for 13 clear days, thus making it every fortnight.

Kay
Tilsie Persians