PDA

View Full Version : Do cats talk to each other?

Kazz
09-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Do you think your cats talk? I ask because it's something that has interigued me for years since this incidedent.
I have two cats brother and sister this was years ago and they were about 7 or 8 at the time. Cleo the female is about small average size for a cat, Oscar was real adventurer then and I think "top cat" in the area although neutered young he is a bit cat. On this day I think my cats spoke to each other.
Cleo went out the front of the house(we live in a quiet cul de sac on council estate) she had only been gone a few minutes when she was chased back by a large b&w Tom cat, she ran in hissing and swearing now Oz (Oscar) was out. Cleo complained loudly and I shooed the cat away. A couple of hours later same thing happened.This went on for a couple of weeks Oscar never being in at the time, the B&W cat never made it through the cat flap though but terrorised Cleo when he saw her.
One day soon after Cleo asleep on the front and the Tomcat walked past didn't bother Cleo but walked past Cleo got up stalked upstairs where she was seen to rub heads with Oscar who was asleep on the bed Oscar flew down the stairs out the cat flap and beat seven colours of ehm out of this poor Tom Cat chasing him half way down the Croft and back until we saw them no more Oscar returned 1/2 hour later (unhurt) as usual but B&W cat hair all down the road. Oscar went upstairs where Cleo was sitting (having not moved) and touched Cleo's head and down she wnet back into the same place she had been earlier and went back to sleep.

Did she tell her brother about the bully, if notwhy did this happen the Tom cat never bothered Oscar. what happened between my two of them I'd love to know if they talk?

Karen

Moggy
09-11-2004, 04:07 PM
I do think that there is some form of comunication between them.

My two are probably telling each other to f off, and they hate one another :lol:

Azz
09-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Sounds like it Kazz? Thas a nice story as well :-)
Maybe they are telepathic!

Mags
09-11-2004, 07:30 PM
How strange! :? Perhaps there's a lot more to their understanding that we don't know about.

Lovely story! :)

Kazz
19-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Thought I'd bring this thread to the top again as I would love to know the answer and as we have more members now :) - maybe you multi cat owners have an thought or two on the subject - do you think your cats talk to each other?

Moli
19-07-2006, 11:41 PM
I am sure mine do, Oliver and Casper are very close, if one cannot see the other, they yowl to each other....They sit in the garden very close, like a couple of old men, I am sure they are debating what to get up to next!!

Mags
19-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for bringing that story up again Kazz.....I enjoyed reading it!

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I've only ever had 1 cat at a time....:?

Moli
19-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I am also sure Leo swears at Merlin, he sort of crumbles under his breath at Merlin sometimes...

Kazz
19-07-2006, 11:44 PM
See it always intrigued me the B&W cat never to my knowledge bothered Oz, yet he did terorise Cleo. The Tom cat never was seen again. Strange I think they must talk they have to in some way.

Moli
19-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Dogs communicate through body language, are cats the same??

Kazz
19-07-2006, 11:48 PM
They must in someway I mean house cats aren't that far removed from big cats are they must communicate as they hunt I mean look at lioness's the teamwork involved in that.

Moli
19-07-2006, 11:52 PM
They must in someway I mean house cats aren't that far removed from big cats are they must communicate as they hunt I mean look at lioness's the teamwork involved in that.Thats true Kazz, but housecats don't live in groups, they like their own space...

Kazz
20-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Thats true Kazz, but housecats don't live in groups, they like their own space...

Ahh but what about ferals

Snoof
20-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I know a fair few housecats who live in groups - I believe we have a few members whose cats do, and my lot (although they're a group of 3 atm) do. They all have clearly delineated tasks and ranks, and essentially when Jigsaw (the female) is about, they all cater to her needs (even though she's a bit of an airhead :lol:).

Cats, however, communicate in ways humans don't (and vice versa). I know two cats who live together and have done since the male was a kitten. They don't seem fond of one another until one is at the vet's - then the one left behind pines and obviously worries until the first one's back.

dandysmom
20-07-2006, 02:43 AM
That was a fascinating story & I can't begin to explain it...telepathy of some sort? In my limited experience, cats mostly vocalize to their people; they communicate with one another more by body language...ear position, tails, hisses, scent markings, etc. Another one of life's mysteries, I guess....

Fran
20-07-2006, 10:27 AM
My cats definitely talk to one another, especially Maud. She will wander round the house 'calling' Claude and Clooney and when she finds them she makes little contented meows as if to say 'hello, that's where you are' :cool: She used to talk to her kittens all the time to the point we often had to tell her to be quiet as she would wake them up :shock:

Jac
20-07-2006, 10:42 AM
What a great sory Kazz

I'm sure they do have a way of talking to eachother. Purrdie and C-Fur seemed to communicate.

Kazz
20-07-2006, 12:11 PM
See she didn't call to him she went to him so maybe the body language had something to do with it also maybe previously maybe she had his scent on her - as he'd beat her up before.

Odd

Donna
20-07-2006, 06:22 PM
I think they "communicate" somehow. But it is not so obvious as vocally. I think the way they look or move communicates messages. Things we see them doing as a normal movement may mean something completely different to them.

I know Chloe has learned to say "hello" to me when i say hello to her, but she doesnt do this to Misty (she reserves her vocals for humans).

She has the understanding of communication so must be able to do it within her own species.

Great thread!