PDA

View Full Version : Neurological problems in cats

Carole
08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Has anyone any experience in neurological problems in cats?

Stripe was sick on Friday and was at the vet on Saturday, he got an antibiotic injection and antibiotics home. On Sunday he took a turn for the worse and kept falling over when standing still. He was admitted to the emergency vets and discharged last night after all his bloods came back ok.

This morning he is still falling over. Just been back at the vets, they said it could be an ear infection, still a bit weak after being ill or something going wrong in his brain :cry: If its the first two he should have picked up a bit.

We have to go back on Wednesday if he is not any better.

Its a tough decision to make whether to let him go while he still has some dignity :cry:

Azz
08-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Do cats get vertigo? sounds like that a bit.
Maybe ride it out a week and see how he goes?
hope he gets better soon, but if not u have to do what you feel is right.

xx

Naomi
08-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Awww Caz I really hope he get's better soon.

Only you can make that decision. AS you know I had to make that desicion only a few months ago and I don't envy you one bit :cry:

Carole
08-11-2004, 02:34 PM
thanks

we are hoping its just an infection but have to face the fact that he is 15years its just the waiting that is killing us. :-(

Mags
08-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Aww poor Stripe :(
I dont suppose he could be allergic to the antibiotics could he?
I hope he shows some improvement soon as it must be really worrying for you. :(

dinahsmum
08-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Oh Mags - that has reminded me that one of our cats - from way back - had a bad reaction to an antibiotic. Can't remeber the drug (can't even remember the cat, probably 25 - 30yrs ago!) but do remember that the symptoms were as Carole describes - funny neurological type stuff.

Gosh - hope it's as simple as that and Stripe makes a full recovery. Our cat did. :)

Mags
08-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Fingers crossed for Stripe! :)

Carole
08-11-2004, 08:25 PM
:( Stripe was PTS today after having seizures and being unable to walk and he did not recognise anyone anymore. His age was against him, him being 15 years old.

dinahsmum
08-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh Carole. :cry:

If it had to be, it had to be. It's our last duty to our pets but our last responsibility and it is our duty not to shirk it. You know it was the right thing. {{{ hugs}}}

Carole
08-11-2004, 08:55 PM
:( thanks it does not make it easier though.

It was the right thing to do as he could not walk or was struggling to eat and drink. :(

Abbi
08-11-2004, 09:13 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news, we all sympthaise wtih you so much.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mags
08-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Very, very sorry to hear your sad news Carole, I really feel for you :cry: I know he was well loved and it is so hard to see them suffer isn't it. Take care.

Carole
08-11-2004, 10:51 PM
thanks Mags

Azz
09-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Carole *hugs*
Sorry to hear about Stripe. You did the right thing and prevented any unnesc suffering.

Naomi
09-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Awwwww Carole, so sorry to hear that :(

At least he is not suffering anymore.

CrAzy Mii
29-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Aww Soo sorry to hear the news :(!! At least, as you said, he went with some dignity!! How are you all coping??