PDA

View Full Version : house move with cats

smudgley
15-07-2004, 09:15 AM
We are moving house in a few weeks & a few people have said the cats will run off when we move? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't think they will, but I need some advice on how best to handle the move with them.

We will only be less than half a mile from our old house.
Will they go to our old house & claim squatters rights with the new people :roll:

Any advice is appreciated.
I have ;
a 4 year old female moggy - who loves being outdoors.
a 3 year old female moggy who loves being indoors.
& a naughty Smudge! who will be 10/11 months old when we move, she likes being inside & outside. :)

Cheers,
Smudgley

jen.s.f
15-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Shut them in a room you don't use much for a couple of weeks and only let them out when you are sure all the windows and doors are shut and they can't get out. I have always done this when moving house and never had any problems.

Azz
15-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Yes definately keep them locked in for a good few days as they need to 'adjust' to the new smells of the new house, ONLY when they have settled in to the house should you let them out but make sure you butter their paws first!

You will find it takes the older cats the longest to adjust, I remb when we moved the kittens settled in like on their first day! (probably first hour!) but it took Cheetah about a week!

Let us kno how it goes...
And good luck!

Mags
15-07-2004, 06:58 PM
I would definately keep them in for at least a week and then only let them out before their mealtime so that they are hungry enough to find their way home quite soon.

Good luck!

smudgley
17-07-2004, 12:32 PM
thanks everyone -
I'll try & keep them in, it's going to be hard though with 2 young kids.
I may even get hubby to rig up a cat pen & run in the garden for in the daytime, this way I know they're safe & no chance of escaping! - then they can still come in overnight when there's less chance of them escaping.

I will keep them confined for at least a week & I'll let them out when they are hungry (my cats are always hungry. lol)

Azz
17-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Good luck Smudge! :D

Abbi
17-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Hiya

Just to add to that - we moved just over a year ago with an older cat and a kitten - we kept them in for 6 weeks - I was really scared the older one would get lost - but she did come home when we let her out - and a little tip put a collar on them with a note inside saying that you have just moved home and he/she may be lost and to please return to your new address.

However, my next door neighbout has got a new cat she had him for 4 days and was going mental to go out - she let him out and has returned with no problems.

Play it by ear and good luck!

Abbi

smudgley
18-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Abbi - great idea to put a note on their collar "I've just moved house & I may be lost" I'll definately do that with them all.

thanks -

smudgley
18-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Abbi - great idea to put a note on their collar "I've just moved house & I may be lost" I'll definately do that with them all.

thanks -

Abbi
18-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Your very welcome.

Azz
19-07-2004, 01:29 AM
yes good idea!