PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed yours?

smudgley
15-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi - just wondered what everone feeds their cats & opinions of good & bad foods.
I went to a Royal Canin presentation yesterday (work related about dog nutrition) but they also talked about cats & I thought I may try mine on it.

Anyone tried it?

Azz
15-07-2004, 02:59 PM
We feeds Cheetah James Wellbeloved and Whiskas in Jelly. She doesnt like the ones with 'peas' and stuff in there tho!

She also gets treats like cooked chicken when we have some :-)

Never tried that Royal Canin tho - is it 'natural' and without additives?

smudgley
15-07-2004, 03:07 PM
I've heard a few people say JW is a good diet for cats.

I don't think RC has additives etc. :?

I currently feed whiskas & mine love it & look good on it, but just thought if RC is a good premium quality food I may try it. (It's really expensive though :( )

Azz
15-07-2004, 03:52 PM
yeah thas the trouble why so expensive? If good quality 'human' food is cheaper then I cant see why good quality pet food has to be so dear! Maybe we should check their accounts to see how much profit they are all making?!

Mags
15-07-2004, 06:51 PM
We give Cheetah Whiskas Supermeat, chicken or rabbit, as it's the only cat food she will eat. Also she does like the occassional sprinkling of 'biscuits' on her food. She is also quite partial to some roast beef too!! :-)

She never seems to drink from her bowl of water so I'm a bit apprehensive about giving her dried food alone. :?

Bastet
16-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Ours get Nutro adult. And whiskas wet food. :D

Jeanette
20-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I feed Oliver on Royal Canin Light for cats.....

I really want to feed a brand called Olivers (quite funny). BUT it doesnt have "hairball control" in it.

And Oliver has to have a food with this, as he would cough hairballs up several times a day.

So do anyone know wot to add? I know about catmalt (well that's the name in danish), but he wont eat the amount of that, he's suppose to.

So I was wondering about if there was something I could add, like I add garlic powder to Luna's food?

Mags
20-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Hi Jeanette! Cassie also coughs up hairballs and if I buy biscuits for her I always make sure they are for 'hairball contol'. She doesn't eat enough of them to do much good though as she prefers tinned meat. I usually grow a tray of cat grass to keep indoors for her and that usually helps her when she's coughing up the hairballs.

shonedek
21-01-2005, 07:58 PM
My cats are fed on a biscuit called Red Mills which comes from Ireland and is a head ache to get hold of.No aditives or colours and all natural.This is down all the time and bowls kept full.As to the meat they are fed mince meat with either heart or liver added(beef/lamb/rabbit/chicken and sometimes fish)and fresh vegatables .This is all steamed. Then i add SA37 vit supplement and served warm,they love it.Even my kittens are weaned on to this meat and the results are fantastic the only problem is that my kittens being born are now so large, so may put girls back onto tinned meat when they are pregnant.This diet does mean a little work but my cats have never been healthier.
Hairballs can be stopped by either adding a little vaseline to there food on putting a bit on front leg so they lick it off.It helps the hair to pass through and it dosnt hurt them.My vet recommended this years ago

Mags
21-01-2005, 08:16 PM
No wonder you have got such beautiful cats Sam! That's a really healthy diet....what sort of vegetables do you give them?

And is the SA37 vit available at pet stores?

Thanks for the tip about hairballs too, I'll try that. I expect it's quite a problem with persians isn't it?

Jeanette
21-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Jeanette! Cassie also coughs up hairballs and if I buy biscuits for her I always make sure they are for 'hairball contol'. She doesn't eat enough of them to do much good though as she prefers tinned meat. I usually grow a tray of cat grass to keep indoors for her and that usually helps her when she's coughing up the hairballs.

Well he won't eat the catgrass....... So I have to find a solution. This food is really really good. But I can't switch if I don't find something for his hairballs.

Oliver eats dry food, and have always done that and there IS hairball control in the RC, but I really don't waant to feed RC or Hills for that matter.

shonedek
21-01-2005, 09:42 PM
My cats get most vegatables,cabbage ,spinach,peas ,carrots,broccili,cauliflower,pumpkin ,swede,brussel sprouts,the only thing you mustnt give is potato.I put them through a blender so you only get small lumps.They get a different mix every day so it keeps them on there toes.Takes time to prepare but looking at my cats its been worth it.I used to feed a well known biscuit at £45 a bag .This would last me just 3 weeks and my cats never had a good body weighor a coat like they have now.
SA37 is available from most good pet shops and i think its the best supplement you can give.You only need 1/4 teaspoon per cat so you dont use a lot.Mind i do.If you have a problem getting it Mags give me a shout as im in Bristol a lot.
Hairballs and Persians go hand in hand but doing as i said i havnt had a hairball for months(cats not me he he)

Mags
21-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Why don't you try Shonedek's suggestion about adding vaseline to his food or putting a bit on his front leg so that he'll lick it off? Have a look at her post above. Cassie is troubled by hairball as well so I am going to give it a try as well.

Good luck!

shonedek
21-01-2005, 09:50 PM
you will only need to add 1/4 to his meat and mix it in.Do this every other day for 7 days then once a week will be fine.If you dont feed meat then rub on front paw so he licks it off.I dont do this with the Persians as it makes to much of a mess with their coat.You can get a hairball cream from the pet shop that you put on the paw,but it is basically vaseline.Dont use petrolium jelly not sure on this

Mags
21-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Hairballs and Persians go hand in hand but doing as i said i havnt had a hairball for months(cats not me he he)

:lol: I'm so glad you were referring to your cats Sam!!!

That's a wide range of vegetables you give them....lots of goodness. With their diets you could almost sit them at the table for dinner with you and your family!!! I think I'll give it a try.

I would think the SA37 was available somewhere in Bristol but if I have any probs I'll get back to you, thanks Sam.

bobbie3917
21-01-2005, 10:03 PM
well Mittens is a right fussy ******
she is not eatting a lot at all

i feed the dogs raw so i am now starting to think about feed her the same aswell. and the vaseline is a good idea

Mags
21-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Poor Mittens! We went through a stage with Cassie when she would turn her nose up at everything.....funny they'll never refuse any of your own food though!!

shonedek
21-01-2005, 10:09 PM
when i was feeding tinned my cats would oftern walk away after having only a couple of mouthfuls leaving the plate with meat still on it.Now i cant get there dinner to the plate quick enough and the noise in the kitchen when im preparing it with all the cats shouting for there dinner.All i have now are empty plates and Persians can be very fussy.I feed the same diet to my dogs also and would change back.The results speak for themselves

Mags
21-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Do you find they get under your feet at mealtimes Sam? I find it bad enough with one cat! :lol:

Do you find time to eat properly yourself with all those mouths to feed?!! :lol:

shonedek
21-01-2005, 10:25 PM
my cats are very good.They seem to know when the last knife and fork have been put on the plate ,then they pester you to put plate on floor so they can have a lick.The kittens tend to be the worst as they have to learn to wait.The worst time is when i cook whole chickens cos they know its for them.They all sit looking through the cooker door which is glass.
Yes we do eat and know its not the cats dinner.My saying is "give them the best and they will give you the best.".and weve had some cracking kittens.Waiting on a litter to be born any min .Poor mum is huge

Mags
21-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Sounds like its fun in your house Sam!

Oooo don't forget the pics of the kitties when they arrive!

shonedek
21-01-2005, 10:34 PM
never a dull moment.dont have time for dull moments.Will put up picture when there born.Just hope all goes ok as Persians aint easy

Mags
21-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Good luck then Sam!

Luke
10-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Well Clementine has Whiskas iin Jelly pouches for her tea, and dried Go-cat for her breakfast, she doesnt drink much water but there is allways a bowl of goats milk on hand anyway
Best wishes

Moli
10-07-2005, 10:38 PM
I have never given my cats goats milk...Might try that..

Mags
10-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Is goat's milk easier to digest for cats?

Luke
10-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Supposeldy, the vet told us to do it many moons ago with our past cats, it doesnt give them dioreaha (sp?) nor sickenss, and it doenst curdle as quickly.
Best wishes

Mags
10-07-2005, 10:56 PM
That's interesting Luke.....

Fran
10-07-2005, 11:01 PM
I give my puppies goats milk and the girls when they are lactating, it is easier for them to digest than cow's milk...

shonedek
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
mine get goats milk and yougat which they love.Its much easier for them to digest but have to watch the kittens as they like to pig out on it

samwise
11-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Sammy eats dried food only.It is either Autarki (?sp) or Royal Canine. He does not seem to like meat unless he has caught it!
Frankie eats a bit of both, but only eats the jelly from around the Whiskas!

Kazz
11-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi Mine don't get dried food as it upsets Cleo's tummy - took me a while to work that out.:roll:
But they get, fresh neck of lamb grilled or leg lamb roasted (like the dogs) they have roast chicken (the ready cooked variety from sainsbury's) theyenjoy sardines/sild/pilchards in tomato sauce. They also have coley/cod/mackrel/herrings/lemon sole depends what we are having:roll: .
They have roast beef (when we have beef) they also like rabbit occasionaly. (sorry bunny lovers)
They also have a little squirty cream occasionaly as a treat, they love rice pudding :roll:
They also eat packet cat food, we vary from whiskas, felix, sainsbury's own, asda's own, gourmet old, sheba creation. Never the tins always the packets.
They like a little yogurt occasionaly, and I also add a little fresh veg (as does Sam I see)
They enjoy a little weetabix or porridge in the winter once a week.

Don't think I have forgotten anything.

Karen

Mags
11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: ......their diet is better than mine Kazz....I'll be round your house for dinner anytime!:-D

Kazz
11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: ......their diet is better than mine Kazz....I'll be round your house for dinner anytime!:-D

Really? You would be most welcome anytime babes.:D I will even bring out the rum and rasin ice cream for you.:-D

Mags
11-10-2005, 09:19 PM
My favourite!!!:-D :-D :-D

Kazz
11-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I get mine from Thorntons :-D

Mags
11-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Even better!!!

Kazz
11-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Then come on over:-D we'll fight the cats for th let over leg lamb:roll:

Mags
11-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Give me 5 minutes:-D

Kazz
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Mags you're much too slow - they've eaten it now :roll:

Mags
11-10-2005, 09:58 PM
:roll: ....have to make it some other time then Kazz;)

Kazz
11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
You would be welcome anytime Mags - anytime.:-D

Mags
11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
I'll remember that Kazz!:-D

yola
18-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Royal Canin Persian Mix (minimal fur balls and fewer upset tummies). They will wolf down the outside cats' cheapo waitrose own brand mix if given half a chance tho . . .

Occasional ham, prawns or tuna. Very occasional cat milk (and only Fifi will touch that)!!

Purity
19-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Felix pouches (not happy about doing so but it's the only wet food they'll eat), Iams biscuits (had the best actual meat content), whiskas milk and lots of chicken, sardines or turkey.

They're only 6 months old at the moment so I'm still feeding kitten food which limits my choices. When they get older I'll switch them onto a better quality brand.

I've often thought of trying a raw food diet, but there seems to be so much involved in getting things right, and I'd have to learn a lot more about feline nutrition before even attempting it!

Fran
19-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Purity, have you read the Barf Diet - Raw feeding for dogs and cats by Ian Billinghurst? It gives a good introduction to raw feeding, I'm sure after reading it you would feel a little more confident feeding raw.

Purity
19-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I've heard of that, may have to go and order it! Is it difficult to find the necessary supplements in the UK?

Fran
19-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm not really sure Purity as I don't feed my cats a totally raw diet only part raw. My dogs are raw fed and any supplements they need I either use human ones or I buy them from the supplier I get my meat and bones from...

Bellakatz
21-10-2005, 11:20 AM
All mine are fed a mixture of dry,food wet food and raw

My kittens have James wellbeloved bic,whiskas kitten pouches in jelly and whiskas kitten supermeat
They also have raw chicken pet mince and raw chicken wings
They also have Tuna ,roast chicken and coley as treats

My adults are fed very much the same except they have adult whiskas in jelly
I have also tried ox tongue raw ,the cats love it but i have found it very hard to get hold off

The Piddler
26-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I have 9 here and they range in age from 21 to 2. Some are frail and ill with various things so feeding here has become quite a process.:roll:
Right now I am having luck with Sensitive Stomach dry as I have a couple of 'barfers' in the group!
Baby - my oldster at 21 has facial cancer and can only eat wet food so he gets that and the others get a 'taste' on top of their kibbles.

Of course there are the turkey and shrimp and chicken treats as well :)

Booktigger
29-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I only feed my two HiLife as I wanted to feed raw, but couldn't, so this was the next best thing. Ginger has the Senior (min 32% meat content), and Pebbles has either the complimentary pouches with HiLife biscuits (26% meat content, and the other ingredients are decent) or the Tuna or Salmon pate. Ginger also has James Wellbeloved biscuits (26% meat content) - I wanted them both to have it, but Pebbles didn't like that idea, so when Ginger gets through this bag of JWB, he is going on HiLife (although he needs to lose weight and JWB comes in light varieties)

JemBob
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
ha oscar gets to choose sometimes he wants whiskas sometimes he wants felix just cant win!lol

EmmaG
01-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Booktiger, I have fed my cats Hilife before, I consider it to be an excellent food, however my cats are on felix at the moment as they love it, however I have noticed them, especially my male cat, pestering me for food all the time.

emma_pen
04-04-2006, 09:20 AM
I feed Burns... holistic, natural, no GM ingredients, no filler, no colouring, no preservatives, not involved in testing on animals in labs.

The ingredients list of most food brands disgust me.

CJK
04-04-2006, 02:51 PM
mine have JWB dried food, soemtiems omega, not as good but my pet shop doesnt always have in waht I want despite me ordering it every two weeks. They also have royal canin persian and hi-life wet food. sometimes the pate's as a treat

tillytails
06-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Mine only eat wet food - can't have dried because every time I've tried them on it exclusively, they get cystitis :(

So they have Whiskas organic pouches now and a little of the Hills 'teeth-cleaning' forumula kibble. The used to have tinned Denes, the one without additives and with herbs. But they change the formula and my sweethearts decided they didn't like it anymore :roll: .

One loves raw broccoli and cucumber - she'll jump up on the counter and pinch bits. And natural yogurt is another thing they'll 'beg' for. But they don't pester me for meat or fish (well, except prawns :lol: ).

I'm going to read up on raw-feeding. I've still got a very low, depressed cat and I don't know what else to do. :cry: