PDA

View Full Version : running a cattery - advice needed

smudgley
15-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Does anyone run a boarding cattery?

What I need to know is, if setting up a small cattery at home, what are the implications / laws / licencing? If anyone has any info I'd really appreciate it.

It would only be a small scale business - I've tried looking on the internet, but can't seem to find any info.

cheers, Smudgley.

jen.s.f
15-07-2004, 10:21 AM
The best place to ask for info is your local environmental health department. They control the licencing of boarding kennels and catterys. I know they have recomended pen sizes and numbers of cats per pen. I'm sure if you are really serious they will come out and have a chat with you and let you know what you can and can't do. Also check the deeds of your new house to make sure there are no restrictions on the housing of animals or size of buildings you can put up in your garden (your local council will tell you the maximum size cattery you can put up without needing planing permision).
Good luck if you decide to go ahead and let us know what info you find out, would be interesting to know.

Azz
15-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Good advice Jen!

Yeah take loads of piccies when it's done Smudge! An u may never know one of us lot might be one of ur first customers! :D

smudgley
15-07-2004, 03:10 PM
thanks Jen - I'll contact them for advice.

Azz - It's only a thought at the mo & will probably never happen, but I am keen to learn about the possibility & if it's not too complicated I may go ahead. & cheetah could be a star guest & have free boarding!

:-D

Azz
15-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey sounds cool! :wink:

Did u hear of the pet 'day centres' that Gems was on about on DW? You could integrate that in there as well? Think of all the publicity u would get!