PDA

View Full Version : Devestated

jen.s.f
30-06-2004, 10:14 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Have lost an entire litter of six kittens over the weekend. They were fine saturday morning, but by the evening mum wouldn't have anything to do with them. Tried my best to bottle feed them, up all night saturday and most of sunday, but they didn't really want to knowand by monday lunchtime they had all died.
It's so unfair, poor little things.

Azz
01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Aw Jen *hugs* thas so sad :-(

I guess sometimes the mothers can reject for no known reason and it would be very hard bottle feeding 6 as they need 1ml an hour.

You did your best though and that is the main thing to remember so dont blame yourself. Hope u feel better soon Jen.

Abbi
01-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi jen

That is terribly sad so sorry to hear your news - As Azz says it just happens that way sometimes - porr little babies.

We are all thinking of you darling.

Abbi xxx

Heather Sharada Birmans
02-07-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you lost the kittens - very sad. Were they weak babies or small at birth. Maybe there was an infection - I am sure that your care was not to blame.

Sometimes the blood types of the parents are incompatible - a B Blood Queen will not rear kittens from an A Blood Tom - they just fade. I have had one or two disasters myself and it is always so sad - I feel sorry for the Queen.

My last disaster like this was a maiden Queen who had 6 babies and managed to rear 2 She had some kittens with black limbs at birth and very low birth weights - we suspect an infection caused it - and then she got Mastitis. The babies were only 65 grams to 90 grams and the two that I reared were the two smallest - they probably tookless of the rotten milk.

My queen was very sick for a week and I thought I was going to loose her as well.

jen.s.f
15-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Kittens were fine untill five days old then they just went down hill and mum decided she didn't want any more to do with them so I tried to take over. Had mum looked at by my vet and no problems with her. It was her 1st litter so wonder if it was a bit of a shock to her!! My vet has advised me to try her for another litter straight away while she still remembers what kittens are, she says its the best thing to do when they loose kittens in the 1st 10 days. Its not the being pregnant and giving birth that takes it out of them, but the actual rearing of the kittens, especially after 2 weeks old.

Heather Sharada Birmans
15-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I think it would be worth checking your girls Blood Group before repeating the mating. What breed is she? Some cat breeds are more susceptible to B blood type more than others.

I had my girl checked and indeed she was a B and as I type she is away being mated to a B Type boy....so hopefully the next litter will be more successful.

Just to be on the safe side I am mating another queen so she kittens at the same time and can hopefully help out if mastitis becomes a problem.

Here is a link that if you go to the blood section you can read all about the problem http://www.cat-world.com.au/Healtha-k.htm#Blood%20&%20Blood%20Disorders

Good luck anyway. Not all vets know about this problem so maybe you could mention it to your vet.