PDA

View Full Version : Mice

Bastet
27-06-2004, 10:51 PM
My darling Geri just brought me in a mouse.

But not only any mouse, it was a large one. She had bitten it enough so that it was bleeding badly but still alive and twitching. :shock: I had seen her playing with something in the hall, and then Tamino (my puppy) went over, and for about 5 minutes they were prodding at something. So I called Tamino over to me and gave him a toy. But 5 minutes later, Geri came over and jumped on my lap with the mouse in her jaws. To make the story worse, I didn't notice the mouse until she dropped it, twitching and bleeding, onto the keyboard. :shock: :shock:

Well I cleaned up the majority of the blood, but the keyboard still has blood on the keys. I just hope the police never come to inspect my house. :lol:

The mouse is dead, I put it on a piece of paper by the door (not on the floor but since when was that an obsticle for my 26 in tall at the withers Gordon Setter :roll: ), intending to give the poor thing a proper burial. :lol: So Penny (my Gordon Setter) strolled over, grabbed the paper, and knocked the mouse to the floor. At which point Tamino made a grab for the mouse and before I could stop him, he had swollowed it. :roll:

Bl***y animals, can't live with them, can't live without them. :lol:

Azz
28-06-2004, 01:13 AM
lol! sorry Bastet but your post made me laff! Blood on the keyboard!!! i'd be going nuts! but no need to worry to much cos they are quite cheap to replace these days!

Heather Sharada Birmans
02-07-2004, 02:46 PM
I haven't been by for a long time and just dropped in to read about your mouse incident. Had me giggling.

It is winter here and just three days ago a mouse must have come in from the cold. How it got past 13 cats I don't know and why is also a mystery. It is either foolish or very brave or it is really as cold outside as it feels.

Anyway the Birman brigade now have serious Mouse Watch duties and they have a night shift which means if I get up at night for a drink of water - two or three of them are sitting staring intently at the space under the dishwashing machine. Angel spotted it first - and I thought she might be telling the truth but when Mickey decided to sit and wait patiently I knew it was for real.

Just hope that it leaves as quietly as it arrived......my worry was that it might be one of those huge hairy spiders we have here - called a Huntsman and now I am convinced it is a mouse that is the lesser worry.

Well at least I hope it is.
Heather

Azz
02-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi Heather!! Nice to see you!
Hope u have been keeping well!
Bastet is on Hols at the mo and I'm sure she'll reply when she gets back (seems like eveyone is onl Hols! Mags is another!)

What are these Huntsman spiders like? they sound very scary!!

Heather Sharada Birmans
02-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi Azz,
They are actually benign but very big and long legs - they would be about 2 to 3 inches across when their legs are extended and the rotten things will do things like scuttle out from dark crevices when you least expect it. They are very hairy legged....lol....I will try to find a pic and post a link.

I have been keeping well but had a bad case of the lazies where posting is concerned - spending too much time on Cat-World - you must drop by one day - http://www.cat-world.com.au - lots to see and do there........an Aussie site though.lol......but becoming more International in Flavour.

Spider links that show Huntsman spiders - DONT LOOK IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF SPIDERS -
Here's one http://www.jameswiseman.com/photo.php?156,12

and another http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

and another http://www.australianfauna.com/animals/huntsman.php

Azz
02-07-2004, 03:10 PM
oh that last link was very scary!! as the picture is very clear!
Not sure I coul dlive in a country will all these creepy crawlies! At least here they are not so bas as they are tiny, but there Massssssssssive! and lots of different ones too! snakes an allsorts!
u r brave Heather!!

Heather Sharada Birmans
02-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Nope - I'm not brave - hence I would rather the mouse than the spider.....lol......

Actually we don't see them in the winter but sometimes in the summer they will drop out of gum trees and have been known to climb in cars for the shade....more than once I have been driving at night and a spider has run across the windscreen -nearly ran off the road.

Mostly we don't see the venomous things in towns - except in Sydney gardens - the Funnel Webs can be there. I am however very scared of snakes - we have more than your odd vipers....and I have lost dogs and a horse from snake bite.

Azz
02-07-2004, 03:20 PM
its so worrying isn't it? Id be so scared for my family and friends if they lived there - infact... Heather please come back!

Heather Sharada Birmans
02-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Ha ha ha Love to come back but since I was posting previously I have had the big 60 birthday and it is really now out of the question.....oh well - just keep my eyes and ears peeled for creepies - meanwhile the girls have started the Mouse Watch - funny things - and it is past 12.30 midnight.lol. Must stop and go to bed soon.

If you have nothing to do - pop by and visit Cat World. Good night....ummm mornin'