PDA

View Full Version : Breed choice

slavetoharry
07-06-2004, 03:52 PM
We've decided to add a kitten to our family. My husband wants another pedigree cat rather than a moggie. We already have a ragdoll. We don't know what breed to choose. I like Norwegian Forest cats, he likes Persians. Or we could have another ragdoll. We have located breeders of all three breeds in our area.
We have young children and dogs, so we have singled out breeders who have dogs and resident or visiting children.
Now it's a matter of making the decision about breed. Is there much difference in the temperaments of different breeds? Grooming isn't a problem. The cat needs to be confident enough to deal with a busy household, but at the same time we need a cat who will be relaxed enough for cuddles with the children.
Are there people with experience of these breeds who could help us choose?

Mags
07-06-2004, 06:01 PM
One for you Azz! Any suggestions which might help? :smt100

Azz
08-06-2004, 01:09 AM
lol Mags I'm no expert! :-)

But What i'd say is pop along to ALL of the breeders and see how their cats have integrated in their households, as sometimes as breeds of cats can vary, cats of the same breed but from different breeders can vary!

Also, generally you hear that Persians are excellent with kids because they are very docile but they do need LOTS of grooming at least 10 mins a day. I'm not sure how they are with Dogs tho. If it were me I'd go for the N Forest Cat cos I think they are stunning!

Hope that helps!

Azz
08-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Oh welcome to Catpages btw SlavetoHarry!

Bastet
14-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi SlavetoHarry,

I have a Persian. They are quite docile with everything, and very layed back (lazy) after they reach about a year, but up to a year they can be hell on four legs. :lol: They can be offstandish though if you don't get them from a breeder who socialized them properly.

One thing you can never be prepared for though, is the grooming. I thought I knew what I was letting myself in for, but I didn't. Kylie needs mimimum 2 baths a month, and you have to bath them from the time they are little. She also needs 10 minutes minimum grooming every day, and I have to clip her nails every week. She mats so easily, and in spring it's like it's snowing. :lol:

She is very good with the dogs though. It was the most funny thing to watch when she was a kitten. She used to waddle up to our largest dogs bowl, and literally force Penny away from her bowl. :lol:

For me it would be the Norwegian Forest Cat or the Persian. Both are stunning cats, but I would lean towards the Norwegian Forest Cat, as they are what I love in a cat, they are large, friendly. :smt007 And they have long noses, that is the main reason I would shy away from Persians. Kylie has a long nose for a Persian but she SNORES like mad. :lol:

Edit: You should also do what Azz has suggested, go to ALL the breeders.

Heather Sharada Birmans
02-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi SlavetoHarry
Did you come up with a breed yet. Out of the 3 breeds you mentioned I would go for the Ragdoll so that your cats have a compatible level of activity....and coat care that you are familiar with.

Norwegian Forest Cats are much speedier and more active than a Birman and I think Ragdolls are less active also than a Birman - so that is a big difference. Maybe that is why your husband fancies one. NFC's are great family cats.

I could not cope with the double coated Persians and would be unable to prevent matting - my Birman Stud has a heavy coat and even he matts a little under his elbows - your Ragdoll should have a non matting coat like a Birman so maybe you don't appreciate the double coat of a Persian.....it is a very high maintenance level of care that is required.

Love to hear what you got or decide on.