PDA

View Full Version : What to do about "cat grabbing" neighbours?

Paul_M
24-01-2004, 08:55 AM
We have a cat who is now approaching 5 years old and who is a very friendly,
social cat. Early last year we moved to a new house.

In our old neighbourhood she would often visit the neighbours houses to say
"hello", and generally check out what was going on, in a very "cat" kind of
way. But she always came home when it was time, and she was very much an
outdoor, fit and healthy cat.

Since we've moved, one neighbour seems to think that the fact our cat pops
round to see everyone (and I mean EVERYONE), that she wants to live with
them. They call her in (even when I'm stood outside on occasion), keep her
in over night (which has always been her main time for exercise) and
generally don't let her out much. I often have to go around there to get
her out. But then when I try to let her out for exercise again, they just
take her back in.

She's always happy to see me, and we've even had those cartoon type
situations where me and the neighbours are both stood outside our doors on
quite a few occasions, she always chooses home.

I've spoken to them before, but they always deny calling her in, or even
feeding her (but on a couple occasions she's come home from there and thrown
up wet cat food, she only usually has dry at home) and say she just "manages
to get in". They have a cat flap with lock but say she still "gets in".

What can I do?! I've tried being reasonable they don't listen, and my cat's
health is suffering. She's not as social as she used to be when we have
guests, she's gained quite a lot of weight, and she just doesn't "look" as
healthy as she always did before we moved here. Her behaviour has also gone
down hill, she no longer stays off sofas and beds, which she has always been
very good about in the past, as we've always brought her up not to go on the
soft furnishings. It's a real shame.

Any advice would be good, but I really dont know what to do!

Azz
24-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

That's a difficult one... You say they have a cat flap, do they have their own cat?

It looks like you've tried to reason with them and it's not worked, they 'seem' to be reciprocating the cat's friendship but you never know what goes on behind closed doors, so unless you have proof they are being 'cruel' to the cat I don't think the authorities would be of much help.

The only thing I can think of is to 'enclose' your own garden, I know it'll mean that the cat won't have as much room to play, but at least you?ll know she?s safe ? I think this is far better than using cat pens as they are so small, especially if a cat?s been used to going out.

The garden would have to be enclosed by a six foot fence (or mesh type grill) and then at the top it has to slope inwards about 45 degrees, this sloping bit would be ?loose? chicken wire (having enough supports so it doesn?t flop completely) as it will prevent the cat from being able to climb over and out.

If this interests you here are instructions on how to construct it http://www.fabcats.org/is25.html

Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on..

Tama
24-01-2004, 11:45 PM
It's worrying because they may get attached to her and one day decide to keep her. I'd let them know you don't mind them smoothing her but they must not feed her as she is allergic to wet food. If this doesn't work, next time you know she is there knock on their door and tell them you want her back, that way if they refuse you can report them to the police - this may show them that you mean business and put them off. Good luck :!:

Paul_M
25-01-2004, 01:41 PM
It's worrying because they may get attached to her and one day decide to keep her. I'd let them know you don't mind them smoothing her but they must not feed her as she is allergic to wet food. If this doesn't work, next time you know she is there knock on their door and tell them you want her back, that way if they refuse you can report them to the police - this may show them that you mean business and put them off. Good luck :!:

Been through this already. They deny calling her in let alone feeding her, yet one time I let her out at 1:30 at night before (I work from home, often late), and I had to pop out to get something from the car a moment later.

When I went back outside one of the family was outside and picked her up, and took her inside! I knocked on the door and got her back, I was furious at that time but bit my tongue and simply asked them (again) to stop calling her in!

They've also "renamed" her (with a boys name too!) which is extremely upsetting for me (even though that may sound petty), especially because they know her name, and it's written on her collar!

Looks like I may have to take the "penning in the garden" route, although that would be very tricky with our house. It's a bizzare situation, if I wanted a cat I'd adopt one from the RSPCA or a cat rescue centre, not from someone else's home!

:roll:

Tama
25-01-2004, 05:20 PM
It's a bizzare situation... :roll: Must admit I agree with you there Paul :!:

Also think that Azz's suggestion may be worth a thought as at least you'll know she's safe, and not just from those neighbours but traffic accidents, dogs, silly children and not forgetting cat thieves!

Would love to see some pictures if you do decide to enclose the garden as I may also be tempted :!: Currently my cats are kept strictly indoors! :?

Abbi
25-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi Paul

I know this might sound unfair but it might be worth keeping your little one in for a while get a cat litter tray and some toys and make a big fuss of her - your over friendly neighbours might get the message then?

It must be really upsetting for you.

Abbi

Paul_M
25-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi Paul

I know this might sound unfair but it might be worth keeping your little one in for a while get a cat litter tray and some toys and make a big fuss of her - your over friendly neighbours might get the message then?

It must be really upsetting for you.

Abbi

Ironically I've just done that, had her in for a month solid, she was starting to go a little barmey despite the extra toys and fuss (she's an outdoor cat really, quite big too!).

For three nights it was fine, then early one morning I hear from my bedroom the neighbours calling her in again. That's why I posted the first message really, I'm wondering what to do next! When I whizzed round there to get her back she apparently had "snuck in again" and it was "the first time we've let her in in ages"..... Grrrrrr.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Abbi
25-01-2004, 07:01 PM
It must be hard especially as they are neighbours and getting nasty could end in you not speaking again - what is the relationship like and have you lived there long? Do they know how upset this is making you?

Abbi

Azz
25-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Do they know how upset this is making you?

Abbi

If they do and are continuing to do behave this way, then I definately think it's something worth falling out over! :wink:

Heather Sharada Birmans
14-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi there,
Just joined. sorry to hear about your dilemma and the distress it is causing you.

In Australia we have curfews on cats out at night - for lots of animal rescue reasons - saving the native fauna. Cats are nocturnal but yours could easily be retrained with a bit of perseverance to stay in your own back yard - it would be safer all round - there are so many cats killed by cars at night.

If it was me I would go the fence the backyard route - it is quite easy actually and an ideal solution to keep your girl home and let her still have the freedom to come and go.

My back yard is cat-proofed like that - I consider it part of responsible ownership - not meaning that you are irresponsible - but I do not want my cat stolen- which is being done to you although covertly, run over or causing a nuisance in the neighbourhood. I think it is worth keeping the peace with your neighbours and arranging the garden to keep your cat home.....trust me she will adjust.

Azz
15-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi Heather (and welcome to the forum :-)

Some brill advice there! And I never knew about the cat curfews (good idea I think).

I was just wondering if you had any pictures of the way your garden is cat-proofed as we are also thinking of doing the same :-)

cheers
Azz

Heather Sharada Birmans
15-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Hi Azz,
Well cats are not popular with a lot of people in Australia and a big hilight has been made regarding the cats contribution to the permanent loss of some of Australias rare tiny mammals. Cats are killers and mine love to hunt - even in my cat proof back yard which is not that big several birds met their demise this last 12 months. However I might tolerate the occassional bird loss but it does not mean my neighbours have to.

We have a 6 foot high paling fence but it does not have to be palings. The main thing is that the top of it should be a bit floppy and folded inwards - like this -

http://www.cat-world.com.au/webs/sharada/photos/photohost/Fencecapping.JPG

Cats need to get their paws over the top of the fence in order to pull themselves upwards. You can get a similar effect if you just put bracings inwards and floppy chicken wire - if it feels unstable the cat is unlikely to jump on it.

There are some very good web sites on cat fencing - just type in cat fencing and let your search engine dig them up for you.

We have a very nice Australian Forum site and on the home page there is a link to a section dedicated to enclosures. This is the link to the home page - http://www.cat-world.com.au - while you are there you might like to visit and join the forums there as well.

Tama
15-03-2004, 03:09 AM
That is a wonderful enclosure :!:

I've seen the chicken wire method at 45 degrees, it does the job but in all honesty *whispers* it doesnt look very good :roll:

I'd just get worried about someone elses' cat comming 'in' tho :!:

Azz
15-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks Heather, I will check it out as I'd really like to let Cheetah out, but the garden will have to wait until we finish the interior of the house first! (we're renovating an old house!)

I agree with Tina - I prefer your style of enclosure as it looks more like it's part of the garden.

Wonder if you need planning permission for it here in the UK?

Heather Sharada Birmans
15-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Well the plaited top of the fence is an addition and the wire is only on my side and not visible to the neighbours. I did have two marauding ferals come in but borrowed a cat trap and caught them and surrendered them to the pound - neither wore a collar and they looked big and muscle bound strays - it was sad but I cannot risk having my kids catch diseases after all the expense that I have gone too to keep them safe.

One of the ferals bit me and I was infected - had to have antibiotics - not good. Also I have a friend who lives in Kensal Rise in London and she has indoor/outdoor cats and they all have HIV from cat fights - she lost one to Aids last year....so loose cats need to be carefully looked after. Mine are all locked up at night and my boys have their own fully enclosed gardens - if you would like to see these enclosures I will post pics of their gardens.

There is also an English Cat Breeder with Birmans and she has an electric wire up at the top of her fence - has solved all her problems - will look for that and post when I am back at my computer.

Azz
16-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Would love to see the garden pics :-)

It's a shame about your friends cats with hiv, it's such a worry - I'm glad we keep Cheetah in.

Did you take anything like 'Repleat' after your course of Antibitics? It's supposed to help replenish all the good stuff that the Antibios kill off.

Heather Sharada Birmans
16-03-2004, 05:50 AM
Ha ha...I should have known better than to go to Casualty Department - they filled me with Anti tet shot and started the antibiotics - I became quite unwell....why i should have known better is that I am a Homoeopath and don't take chemicals usually. After a few days I took some homoeopathic remedies and things improved quite quickly but it was a serious infection - the arm was twice it's normal size and the hand was like a balloon.

Homoeopathic Hypericum in potency - usually a 30c is the equivalent of Anti-tet.

Azz
16-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey that's brilliant! (that you are a homoeopath and not that you got infected! :-)

lol - I'll be bothering you/asking you questions all the time now. No seriously, I think there are far too many people who have been taken in by 'conventional' medicine. A friend of mine is a (spell-check-please...) kinnesiologist and helped me a while ago. I am always telling everyone about the dangers of overused chems in food such as MSG! It makes me angry the way food companies are allowed to palm a bunch of chemicals off as 'food'!!

Anyway enough of the rant! How did you get on with your lilac tabby point yesterday?

Heather Sharada Birmans
18-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Candy Cat was fine - have posted pics of her in the other forum.

jen.s.f
07-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Had the same problem with one of my neighbours years ago, in the end I bought them a kitten (told them I had found it as a stray and it didn't get on with my cat) saying we were thinking of moving and telling them how much I knew they would miss my cat. Told them a few weeks later we had decided not to move after all as we liked the neighbours so much and would they mind feeding our cat if we went on holiday if we did the same for them. No problems after that, and the bonus was our cat wouldn't go in their house once they had a cat of their own!!

Azz
07-04-2004, 11:36 AM
lol - I've gotta say thats BRILLIANT!! Well done Jen! =D>
Well definately remb that one in case we ever need it :-)

jen.s.f
07-04-2004, 06:40 PM
The sad thing is I think all they wanted was a cat of their own, they were just too lazy to go out and get one!!!

Abbi
07-04-2004, 07:16 PM
:lol: hehehehehehe