PDA

View Full Version : Cat friendly dog breed? :-)

Azz
18-01-2004, 04:04 AM
We are looking for a dog breed that will get on with our cats. Anyone had any past esperience with cats AND dogs? Or can ANY dog be trained to get along with a cat so long as it introduced as a puppy and trained accordingly?

We love Cheetah to bits and wouldn't want to see anything happen to her!

Any help appreciated!

Abbi
18-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi Azz

The breeder of Amber (who has a house full of pedigrees) has just got a shih tzu dog - you can check out her website if you like its: www.blossiecats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

They all get on really well and she would never put her babies in danger!

Let me know what you think!

Abbi

Azz
18-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi Abbi

Thanx for the link :lol:
Loved Heidi - didn't know you can get colourpoint British shorthairs!
Those dogs look great too however we wanted something a bit bigger and with shorter hair - maybe something like a boxer (but not a boxer as I've heard they are prone to illness).

The breeder who we got Cheetah from (www.frappant.co.uk) has a masssssssssive Mastiff and two female bulldogs so I guess so long as they are brought up together it shouldn't matter which breed it is especially as dogs see you all as part of their 'pack':?:

Abbi
18-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Azz

Heidi is the same as Archie my little boy - I am going to put some photos on this afternoon of all of my babes - so keep checking!

I know what you mean about a bigger dog - if you get a puppy I am sure that it will be fine - my ex had a boxer was lovely and very good - she lived to a good age - but I have heard the same that they are prone to illness - especially the white ones.

I love this forum its great fun!

great chatting

Abbi :D

Azz
18-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Bet little Archie is sooooo cute!! Can't wait to see the pix!

Yeah Boxers are supposed to have excellent temperments and they are especially good with children, it's just that us being us would get so attached to him and it would be heartbreaking if anything happened to him - so we are trying to be safe than sorry!

I think a good conversation is good therapy! (thank God for the internet!)

Abbi
18-01-2004, 04:12 PM
He is a love he is sitting on my lap as I type to you! He loves the computer - my other half is sorting out the pix now!!

How many cats have you got in total how long have you had them?

Abbi

Azz
18-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Cheetah loves sitting inbetween me and the computer - I think she gets jealous that we spend more time 'grooming' the keyboard than we do her! lol Bet Archie will be the same!

We've only got Cheetah really (who's nearly one and a half yrs), we'll have to decide whether we keep any of the two kittens, but seeming that we are getting a dog as well, it might be too much! :shock:

Moli
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I have always has staffies and cats living together, got the cats as kittens and my staff mothered them.

Abbi
10-02-2005, 10:56 PM
That's cute, you would never think that they would be so gentle.

Mags
10-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I never realised that cats and dogs would get on so well either. I suppose the secret is to get them both young :?

Moli
10-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I have always taught my animals be it cat or dog to respect any animal I bring into the house, up till now it has worked. I even have budgies,one of my cats sleeps in the room when they are out on top of the cage,he has done this since he was a kitten.

Abbi
10-02-2005, 11:10 PM
That is really nice, you see of these things on the TV, but to hear its real like that is nice.

Mags
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't think I would have had the courage to let the budgie out with a cat in the room :shock: Good for you to have managed it!

Abbi
10-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Tell me about it Mags, if i let the chinnies out when the cats were around they would be history!

Mags
10-02-2005, 11:23 PM
:shock: that doesn't bear thinking about!

shonedek
11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Mags we had an Patagonian parrot,size of an affrican grey and we forgot to put him in his cage when we went out.We rushed back thinking the worst to find (Harry was his name) chasing the cats all over the house.He had them running under the dining room table,up the stairs and just about everywhere.It was so funny and boy did they run.Reackon it was revenge for all the times the cats sat by his cage.They were very wary of him after that.Mind when he bit it hurt so you cant blame them for running

shonedek
11-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Mags we had an Patagonian parrot,size of an affrican grey and we forgot to put him in his cage when we went out.We rushed back thinking the worst to find (Harry was his name) chasing the cats all over the house.He had them running under the dining room table,up the stairs and just about everywhere.It was so funny and boy did they run.Reackon it was revenge for all the times the cats sat by his cage.They were very wary of him after that.Mind when he bit it hurt so you cant blame them for running

Mags
11-02-2005, 10:15 AM
:lol: That was a sight to see Sam! Bet they all kept their distance after that!

Abbi
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Awwww bless him!

shonedek
11-02-2005, 09:25 PM
happened years ago but i will never forget seeing cats running everywhere and this parrot running across the floor chasing them.Makes me chuckle even now

Mags
11-02-2005, 09:47 PM
It would have been great to have caught it on film!!

Fran
15-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone nice to meet you I'm new, have a look at my introduction post just to illustrate that dogs and cats can live harmoniously together in one household. I've posted are a couple of piccies of my chocolate labs curled up with my cats. I find labs so bidable with both kids and other pets. They even get on with the rabbits. The cats definitely have the upper hand in our house!! and the labs are full of respect for them.

Mags
15-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi Pretty Kitty, nice to have you here - going to 'Introductions' now to meet your 'family'.

shonedek
15-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Mags it was one of those moments when there was no camara to hand and i dont even think digital was around then.would of made a very interesting photo though

Mags
15-02-2005, 10:51 PM
How about putting a pic of your beautiful dogs on here Sam?

Azz
18-02-2005, 07:03 PM
yeah more pics please! Hi :smt039 Pretty Kitty!

Fran
19-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Azz :smt039

shonedek
20-02-2005, 03:33 AM
This is a picture of Jazz at Crufts last year.Shes not going this year as were hoping that she is in pup.I have waited 13years to have this litter due to my other bitches having problems.My first(nutty) we lost when we moved to the house were in now,old owner put poision down for the birds and we didnt know.my second (Diddle)never came in season .Its all fingers crossed at the moment as she is only just 3 weeks gone
This breed is fab with cats and kids and just about anything.They can be a little barky if there is someone around which i dont mind.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/p0690d020ef3c2bdb0b9ca7dd4760aeb1/f5ff52c4.jpg

Mags
20-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Ohhh she is fabulous Sam!! I bet you're really excited about the puppies. She looks a real star!

How nice that she gets on well with all the cats as well....makes life a BIT easier!!

Abbi
20-02-2005, 11:15 AM
She looks great like a real teddy bear!

shonedek
20-02-2005, 01:23 PM
can you imagin them not getting on with cats in my house :shock: .Would be total nightmare :lol:

Mags
20-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I think you'd be a complete nervous wreck by now!! :wink:

shonedek
20-02-2005, 04:51 PM
understatment LOL