PDA

View Full Version : British Blue with bad tummy! - HELP!

Abbi
16-01-2004, 10:10 PM
I have a 18 month old British Blue that I have had from a kitten - she was being fed on whiskers and felix and about a month ago started getting a really bad upset tummy - I telephoned my vet and she recommended that I change her diet and put her on Hills Science Plan dry food, which i did.

Within a few days her tummy problems seemed to go away. After a steady few weeks I thought that I would introduce some Hills Science Plan wet food - she was only given a small amount in her bowl along with some of the dried food. But it has bought on the upset tummy again :cry: She has not been fed anything else and is an indoor cat so cannot be picking up anything from outside.

She seems absoulty fine in herself and is playing with the other two cats I have - they do not have the problem.

I just wondered if anybody might have any idea?

Thanks

Abbi :D

Azz
17-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Abbi

It sounds like her system does not agree with one (or more) of the ingredients in wet food, or maybe it's just too rich for her. I remember the Breeder who we got our Bengal from saying that the only tinned food we should feed our cat is Whiskas in JELLY as all the others are too rich and would give her the runs!

We mostly feed her James Wellbeloved dried food as it does not contain any artificial flavours colours or preservatives plus they do not give the livestock any 'routine' antibiotics! But we also give her Whiskas in jelly for a bit of variety.

Also on occasion we give her some plain cooked chicken or fish or a tin of tuna (in brine).

I'd try her on Whiskas in Jelly first if you want to give her wet food, but I think the James wellbeloved dry food may be the safer/healthier choice.

Hope this helps!

Abbi
17-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Hiya

I am happy with using the Hill Science Plan - I think this is on par with James Wellbeloved, it's quite expensive and again has not artificial rubbish in it - when I spoke to the vet she recommend that I stayed well clear of whiskers but did say as a treat I could feed her tuna in brine.

I think I need to get her settled on one thing before I try and introduce anything else. I am taking Archie the other cat I mentioned to you in our other conversation to have his "op" in a couple of weeks if Amber is no better by then I will take her with me to the vets to get her checked out - its really frustrating as she has been fine since a kitten now all of a sudden she is having problems - it's a worry.

Thanks for the adivce though its really good to chat with somebody about it.

Abbi
:D

Azz
17-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Lol - I wondered what 'op' you meant then for a minute then it twigged! poor Archie! (gotta be done tho:-)

I agree with you about getting Amber settled on one food first - she's probably just going through a 'phase' and you may find you can feed her the other stuff once her system has settled down a bit (that's if you wanted to!).

It's great we can all pick each others brains from time to time - As bob hoskins says: 'it's good to talk' :lol:

Abbi
17-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah just hope she does settle down I hate it when they are ill it really worries me - but she is still running around with Archie like a nutter so she cant be that bad!

Abbi
:D

Tama
17-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Hi Abbi

I found this article on the web which I thought may be helpful...
http://www.vetinfo.com/cdiarrhea.html
Hope she's feeling better soon! :D

Abbi
18-01-2004, 12:08 PM
After stopping the wet food for 2 days I am happy to report that Amber is now having normal toilets again - so that tell me it is something in wet food that does not agree with her - she is fine in the Hill bix so will probably keep her on that and give her tuna and chicken as treats once in a while.

Abbi :D

Azz
18-01-2004, 04:27 PM
*Phew!*

Glad to hear that!