PDA

View Full Version : Big Foozy has Cat Flu

fecto's mum
24-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Help!!. My Big Foozy is very poorly with cat flu. He is isolated away from the others. He has been on Synulox and Metacam for 5 days an there is no improvement. He has a snotty nose and runny eyes, he's not eating or drinking. I have put a few drops of Olbas oil in hot water in a dish in his room. I have syringed water and diluted chicken baby food into him. We will take him back to the vet tomorrow. He has an appointment on Wednesday but he's still so poorly. I wasn't impressed with the vet we saw, especially when she put her hand over his nose and mouth to stop him purring. I had to pull her fingers away from his nose because he couldn't breathe.

Does anyone have any tips how to make him feel more comfortable. I'm thinking of putting him his carrying box and putting a towel over it and putting Olbas oil in a dish with hot water to clear his nose. I will be syringing him with water and chicken baby food every 2 hours. I can't get unflavoured electrolytes anywhere. Anything that anyone can come up with will be helpful. I am on the verge of tears here, I feel so helpless and he's such a gorgeous, soft boy and he looks so poorly and miserable.

angieh
24-05-2015, 04:52 PM
I am so sorry to read this FM - you are obviously v. worried about your poor boy. Is Obas safe for cats? I would think steam on it's own would be better to help his breathing. I have just had a quick Google and haven't found anything particularly helpful yet. Gungy eyes and nose can be bathed with warm salted water. I've read that if a cat looses the sense of smell, they are unlikely to eat. Have your tried really strong stuff like sardines - the smell may get through. I will keep looking and post again. I didn't want you to think no-one was trying to help!

angieh
24-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Olbas Oil is OK - just found this from The Blue Cross

"How is cat flu treated?

There are no effective antiviral drugs in common use. Antibiotics may help because, just as in human flu, once the virus has damaged the delicate lining of the nose and airways, bacterial infections can enter and cause complications, such as pneumonia.

Nursing care at home is important. A blocked nose and mouth ulcers may stop a cat eating and drinking, leading to dehydration, which can be particularly dangerous in kittens. Because your cat may have lost its sense of smell and have a sore throat, sloppy, strong-smelling foods should be offered. Suggestions include sardines, pilchards, roast chicken, or one of the invalid diets available from vets. Cream or ice cream may be taken if your cat has mouth ulcers. Cats that cannot eat may need to be hospitalised for treatment.

Encourage your cat to drink, as fluids help to loosen thick catarrhal secretions. Wipe away discharges from the nose and eyes regularly using salt water (a teaspoonful of salt to a pint of water). Steam inhalations help to loosen catarrh, so let the cat in the bathroom when you have a bath or shower, or offer inhalations of Olbas Oil by putting a few drops of oil in a container of warm water. Place this in the room with the cat, but not where the cat might drink it!

Alternatively, put a few drops of Olbas Oil or eucalyptus oil on some cotton wool, and place in the room with the cat. Avoid direct contact, as it may be an irritant. A small amount of Vicks VapoRub can be applied to the chin. Do not give any other human medicines to your cat – cats are not small humans and many of our home remedies are toxic to them."

Who would have thought Vicks VapoRub???

I am sending strong healing vibes to your lovely boy and have fingers crossed that he starts eating something very soon.

fecto's mum
24-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Thank you Angie. I've just syringed some more water into him but he's fighting me all the way, even when wrapped in a towel. I will put him in the bathroom tonight when I have a bath. Its hard because I'm frightened of the others getting it, I don't know where he's got it from because they don't mix with other cats, neither do we or the dogs. The only place I can think of is Huggins brought it back from the vets when he was neutered. We will take him back to the vets tomorrow and find out what the prognosis is. I don't want him messed about with on a drip and hospitalised, it wouldn't be fair. I think he may have had it before and his sinuses have been damaged. The antibiotics aren't doing anything. I am trying to make sure his fluid intake is sufficient but its not easy. You are very kind to find this stuff out for me, thank you for the healing vibes too. I'll post what the vet says tomorrow.

Shelley123
24-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Oh FM i am so sorry to hear about Big Foozy. I haven't got any advice to offer other than try a different vet if you are unhappy. Angie has found some good info for you.
Healing vibes coming his way.

truthisouthere
25-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Poor lad!. Dehydration prevention is very important, if a simple, warm, sugar salt solution rehydrating fluid isn't being accepted drizzled in with a syringe he will probably feel quite rotten, bless him. A simple solution I have found most cats take to is 1tbs sugar and 1teaspoon salt dissolved well in 1 and three quarter pints warm hot water, given warm..rehydration often really is the keystone to a cat's survival rate in many situations and there is no often no better option than to be put on a drip to stabilise him to kick start the healing process. It is well worth considering if it comes to that.
The Olbas Oil literature doesn't make sense to me, having said that I've had no experience using it for cats; eucalyptus contains phenols, which stand alone are considered toxic to cats. I can't think how anything could be more irritating to a cat's nose. Whatever is said about it, it's something that I would be hesitant of..As Angie says, steam and gentle wiping are completely neutral and safe. (I have not met a cat yet who hasn't turned their nose up at the 'strongness' of Vicks!). But if it works, then use it.
Metacam can also make a cat feel a bit poorly, it can be hard to metabolise, let alone with flu poor lad. Is he on it for pain? Let us know how he gets on today, prayers being sent out by the truckload for your gentle boy.

dinky
25-05-2015, 01:09 PM
FM, many prayers are coming to you tonight for your big boy, and for you too. Hang in there and I do hope that you have some success with your next vet visit.Are you able to get hold of a vapouriser (plug in) at all ? Over here, chemists hire them out. A few years ago, one of my cats had pneumonia and the vet gave me a vapouriser to use in his room continuously, to ease his breathing. I know it did help somewhat. Sending you and your gentle boy soothing hugs at this stressful time.

fecto's mum
25-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Big , massive thank yous to everyone. I didn't know that about metacam, he's on it to bring his temperature down. He's been on it for 5 1/2 days now. I won't givehim any more. I'm wiping his nose and eyes with warm water and baby cotton wool, he purrs when I do it. OH is much better at giving him water so we will do the sugar/salt solution Truth, thank you very much for that. I will take out the Olbas oil, I didn't use too much as I know it makes my eyes water when I use it . I forgot it's Bank Holiday so it will be first thing tomorrow to the vets.

I suppose snotty nose at least means he's getting rid of the muck in his sinuses. The main worry is getting enough fluids in him. We will try very watered down chicken baby food today and maybe OH can make some chicken broth.

I will check out vapourisers and try and figure out a way of creating steam. I suppose I could boil the kettle in his room. We have a large metal bowl I could pour boiling water into that.

I'm very grateful to all for your suggestions, I will try them all. Next visit to the vet I will ask for someone else. There are 2 that we really like and Big Fooze likes them so hopefully they will be on duty. I will tell him about everybodies' hugs and vibes.

Velvet
25-05-2015, 04:13 PM
If the antibiotics arent working, ask for something else. With cat flu its a case of time & right meds. We had months of it gping round & round them all. One was hospitalised for 3 days because of it. What age is he?

Cat flu like human flu is airborne

Do hope he improves soon for you. Makes you feel so hopeless when you have one poorly

Shelley123
25-05-2015, 04:51 PM
thinking of Big Foozy xxx

fecto's mum
25-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks folks. He is nearly 9 Velvet. We have just give him about 20 minutes of steam and then OH gave him Truth's mix of sugar and salt water. The steam seemed to help a bit. I won't give him anymore Metacam. I have everything crossed and am doing everything I can to prevent the others getting it, Fecto is 13 and would not survive cat flu.

Everyone has been tremendously helpful, it helps a lot that I don't feel so helpless and alone with it, I can't thank you all enough.

angieh
25-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Big hugs to you and the lovely boy - I will ask Kizzy to put in a word with The Great Cat.

pamela81
26-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Aww hope he is better soon xx hugs from my lot x

fecto's mum
26-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Big Foozy seems a little bit better today. He has an appointment with our favourite vet tomorrow. OH has got quite a lot of Truth's sugar/salt mix and some watered down chicken baby food. He's even had a wee, which is a great sign. He purrs when I clean his nose and eyes, he had a bizzy bum yesterday and he even sat so I could clean him up easier. I have been boiling the kettle in his room and holding the steam under his face, he purrs while I'm doing this so it must be helping. I stopped the Metacam straight away when I learned it's hard for cats to metabolise, makes you wonder why the vet prescribed it! He's got one lot of antibiotics to go. Still got everything crossed it doesn't get passed on. Thank you Kizzy for having a word with the Great Cat, every little helps. All suggestions have been great and they are working. Thank God for people like you chapesses who know and understand cats.

dinky
26-05-2015, 01:47 PM
That's great news FM. I've been thinking about your big boy all day at work and I thought I'd just come on here and check to see if you had posted anything more about him.I've got a vapouriser here in my bathroom. I do wish I could send it to you as you say that the steam is helping him. I know it helped my kitty too.It's also much easier than boiling the jug. Anyway, I'm so pleased for you both. I'll be able to go to bed happy now that I know there's some improvement You must be so relieved too. Keep up the good work Big Foozy and hurry up and get better for your mum and dad.

angieh
26-05-2015, 07:40 PM
I've been thinking about The Big Foozy on and off all day too. I even told my OH about him. Kizzy has sent all her most comforting purrs and has had a good talk to The Great Cat. Good to know he's still hanging in there and managing to take the hydrating fluid and a bit of food. Bless him! All best vibes being sent for continued improvement.

truthisouthere
26-05-2015, 08:29 PM
..Continued prayers for your very special boy. I'm thinking about him a lot.

fecto's mum
26-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Discovered powdered baby rice in Sainsburys so he's getting that added to his baby food mixed with a little bit of cat milk and warm water. He's had 2 steams today and had a great sneezy fit that got rid of a lot of gunk. Vets tomorrow, hopefully he can give BF something to ease the congestion. I've told him about everyone's vibes and hugs and Kizzy's talk with The Great Cat. He purred.

yola
27-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Hang on in there FM and Foozy!

I have had 2 cats with cat flu both came through OK, even though we were very worried about the older one. It took time and lots of TLC and one-to-one care. Thankfully it happened over Christmas when I could be at home to look after her.

Keep doing what you are doing in terms of isolation, syringing and wiping plus the ABs. Other than that, time will be the best healer but keep an close eye and any deterioration get him back to the vet pronto.

angieh
27-05-2015, 11:32 AM
We all continue to send strong healing vibes to TBF from here, plus fingers crossed for a helpful vet visit.

Shelley123
27-05-2015, 06:45 PM
hope things continue to improve for Big Foozy

fecto's mum
27-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Okay, 3rd time lucky. Tried to post twice before. Big Foozy is a little better. Had 2 poos and a wee, never thought I'd be so glad to see cat poo. Vet visit was good. He's on more antibiotics and Bisolven. He's eaten a little bit of tuna by himself after his 'steaming'. He's purring more and more mobile. Eyes are clearer. He's only lost 0.5 kg. Temp is normal. Could'nt have managed without all the helpful advice and support from you folks. Big massive thank yous from me, OH and The Big Foozy.

angieh
27-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Oh bless him! You've done him proud FM with your good nursing care. Fingers crossed and more strong healing vibes still being sent. I will ask Kizzy to thank The Great Cat.

dinky
28-05-2015, 11:37 AM
What a relief for you all, FM. I'm so pleased that your big boy is starting to feel better.With each day you will notice some improvement, thank goodness.Cogratulations to you for all your wonderful care. I'm sure Big Foozy appreciates it. Keep up the good work Big Foozy.

fecto's mum
29-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Big Fooze continues to improve. He's eating a bit more on his own so no more syringing. Also I can put the Bisolven on his food. He's still in isolation and still a bit snotty but lots better than he was. Inky has started to sneeze now so will keep my eye on him and he's getting Bisolven on his food too. Much relieved for Big Fooze, he must feel better in himself, thank God.

angieh
29-05-2015, 10:38 PM
That's good to hear, FM. I do hope that Inky doesn't have anything more than a bit of irritant up his nose.

fecto's mum
30-05-2015, 03:30 PM
I think Inky has a much less severe version, he's sneezing and his eyes are runny but he's nowhere near as bad as Big Foozy was. I know BF is getting better because he's getting grumpy about being in isolation but he's not well enough to back into the general population with the rest of the boys. He continues to improve, his eyes were almost clear this morning.

angieh
30-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear that Foozy is continuing to improve. Poor Inky, I hope he doesn't get it so bad and that the others stay clear. Do you know how long Foozy needs to be isolated?

truthisouthere
30-05-2015, 05:54 PM
So glad to hear your big man is on the mend, it's all the love and care he's been receiving from you!! Fingers and toes all crossed for BF's continued progress, and I just hope Inky has no more than a sneeze.

Shelley123
30-05-2015, 07:27 PM
good news about Big Foozy, hope Inky isn't too bad

pamela81
30-05-2015, 08:08 PM
great news about Foozy, hope Inky is on the mend too x

fecto's mum
31-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Big Foozy is eating normally today, hurrah! I think he will be in isolation for another 4/5 days. Inky is sneezing but I'm giving him Bisolvon. Will take him to the vets in case he need antibiotics. He's nowhere near as bad as BF but I don't want him to get any worse. Oddly both he and BF have been vaccinated albeit there are a couple of years without boosters. Barnaby and Huggins, who have never been vacced are OK. Swirl is a couple of years without boosters as well. Fecto is sneezing a little bit but he's always a bit sniffly.

Shelley123
31-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Glad BF is getting well again. Hope Inky is ok and hope it doesn't spread to the rest

angieh
31-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Well done BF. Hope you are enjoying your food again. Hugs to all the others and I too hope that it doesn't spread.

dinky
31-05-2015, 11:23 PM
So glad to hear that your big boy is eating again FM.You've done a great job looking after him.I hope Inky will be OK and that none of your other kitties come down with it. Hugs to you all.

fecto's mum
01-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know how long BF will be infectious for? He has been on his own for 12 days now. He's still s little bit sneezy but other than that he's OK. Inky is sneezing and snuffling but it's more like a cold than flu. The snotty bits are like water.

angieh
01-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Sorry I don't know FM - perhaps you could phone the vet and ask?

angieh
02-06-2015, 04:07 PM
It seems not to be straighforward FM - and would depend on what strain of virus BF had.

http://www.catclinic.co.uk/cat-flu.html

fecto's mum
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks Angie, that's very helpful. Inky doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as BF but he is a much healthier and robust cat. I will keep BF in isolation until the end of this week I think. Barnaby sneezed twice today, OH was horrified!!

fecto's mum
05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Barnaby was taken to the vet yesterday with a temperature of 104! He was given an anti inflammatory injection and Convenia. Today his temp is normal, he's eating, drinking and much more lively. Needs another check next week. He's still sneezing a bit, so is Inky but Inky is not sneezing as much as before. He's still getting Bisolvon on his food, so is Big Foozy. BF has to stay isolated for another week in case Barnaby reinfects him, I asked the vet today. Just found another good vet and she goes back to America next week! OH thinks Fecto could do with Convenia as well. Anyway, all is much better in this household. I hope Ben continues to improve and his leg mends quickly. If we are offered antibiotic tablets from the vet for anything, next time I will insist on Convenia. It is one jab, lasts 2 weeks, no messing giving tablets so less stress for the cat.

angieh
05-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Poor Barnaby, glad to hear he's on the road to recovery though. What a time your pride of poorly pusscats has had - my two send comforting purrrrrs.

Good to know about Convenia, I just mustn't get it muddled in my head with the human cough syrup!

dinky
06-06-2015, 05:18 AM
Just read the news about Barnaby and Inky now, FM. Gosh, you are having a stressful time. Poor you, and your poor kitties. I'm pleased that Big Foozy is much better now, and that Inky seems to be on the mend. BUT poor Barnaby. Thank heavens he seems to be improving a bit.He's far too beautiful to be sick. Give him a wee cuddle for me and tell him that Auntie Dinky sends him all her love. Betsey- Mae also sends him lots of purrs - she, too, thinks he's a beautiful boy. All the best FM.

fecto's mum
06-06-2015, 12:50 PM
BF is now better completely and so is Inky. Barnaby is under the weather. He's sneezing and sleeping a lot. He's having gourmet wet food for the gravy and cat milk. He never normally eats wet food but perhaps he can't manage dry. He 's outside at the moment getting some sunshine. He's nowhere near as poorly as BF but he's definitely not his usual self.

Thank you Dinky, I will tell him his Aunty Dinky and Betsey-Mae send him cuddles. He will appreciate it, I know. The receptionist at the vet thought he was beautiful and said he was such a big cat. We said he is the smallest of the 6! OH is convinced that Fecto is the 'reservoir of infection', the clue being in the name 'Fectious Chap'. Poor Fecto, it's not true. Thank you everybody for your good vibes and advice. You have all been very helpful. I hope nobody else has to go through this.

angieh
06-06-2015, 01:45 PM
So glad that BF and Inky are better, FM. I found it very interesting what you said in an earlier post about your cats' immunisation - makes me wonder whether if an individual cat has had immunisation jabs, the virus they catch is that much stronger. Guess we need a vet opinion on that.

Gentle cuddles for Barnaby - and loads of positive healing vibes. Kizzy and Pip send purrrrrs and do let me know if you'd like Kizzy to have a word with The Great Cat!

fecto's mum
06-06-2015, 08:48 PM
I would love Kizzy to have a word with The Great Cat for Barnaby. He seems to be sleeping his way through the poorly bit. Poor little chap.

truthisouthere
07-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Dear Barnaby. Gentle hugs to them all. 'Keep calm and carry on'. :shock:

fecto's mum
07-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks Truth, good advice. Barnaby has had some cat milk this morning and is on his favourite blanky on the bed. He's having a little wash. He's quite snuffly and sneezy but hopefully the long acting stuff he was given on Thursday will be kicking all the time.