PDA

View Full Version : Blue eyes

fecto's mum
01-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Does anybody know if cats with blue eyes have rubbish eyesight. I have noticed that when the boys get treats in the morning Big Fooze (the Ragdoll) is really rubbish at focusing on his. I have to put them right under his nose. His hearing and sense of smell are brilliant, he can hear and smell a tin of tuna and shrimp being opened at 30 paces! It's not a problem but I was just curious.

angieh
01-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Just with a very quick trawl FM - there seems no link between blue eyes/sight problems, although there are reports of links with deafness, but it's not conclusive. Do you think it's worth taking Foozie to the vet???

fecto's mum
01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Just curiosity really. Don't think he needs the vet. Just have to make sure he can see his treats!!

Also he's not the sharpest kitty in the litter tray!!!

angieh
01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Just keep 'em nice and smelly and he'll find 'em!!!

Velvet
02-04-2015, 02:32 AM
Thats interesting. Jac is the same. His eyes are green. His peripheral vision is good the problem is at the back of the eyes. He is not a breed - DLH

dinky
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Yes, it is interesting. Dickens has bright blue eyes and he is deaf, but I haven't been aware of any vision problems.

fancyabrew
28-05-2015, 04:42 PM
can't say I've noticed. Godfrey is a silver tab and so has green eyes. Monty is a Blue so has yellow eyes, and Marmaduke is a lilac point so has pale blue eyes. Don't forget cat's can't focus at things close to them so when you say you're putting it right under his nose its probably the smell or his whiskers that he's using

Feliss
28-05-2015, 06:34 PM
This Is How Cats See the World (http://www.wired.com/2013/10/cats-eye-view/) - this Wired article has a nice demo of what cats might see.

angieh
28-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the link Feliss - very interesting.

fecto's mum
29-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Gives me a better idea of what my boys are seeing, thanks Feliss.

truthisouthere
29-05-2015, 05:16 PM
FM I have to agree with you absolutely in my case, Chesi is a blue eyed Birman and I've said many times 'I'm sure my boy needs glasses'! He looks a bit 'boss eyed' often, (very endearing) and now and then his eyes will dart very quickly left to right if he gets frightened at anything or anyone, (I asked the vet on this and he gave it a name and said it's nothing to worry about). I checked his peripheral vision and it's not that good, plus I can be right behind him and it doesn't register until I touch him, so his hearing is going too I think, (he IS 19)..
It's said that cats need an object to be at least 12" away in order to focus on it, I don't know how true that is. But I'm sure his eyes aren't that good, and yes, he can smell a freshly cooked prawn or chicken for him at 30 paces too. ;)