PDA

View Full Version : brushing their teeth

Peanutsfriend
15-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I looked on Amazon.com for toothpaste and a finger brush.
Some questions came up in my mind.
Does it matter dog/cat brands?
Paste or gel?
Do you think it is this will help?
Jill

PoshPuss
16-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Good luck with that! :shock: my girls won't let me get close, I can just about manage to get a pill down :)
Maybe a gel would be easier to apply, I just don't know but all the best :D

angieh
16-10-2014, 11:56 AM
It's a tricky thing!!! Best to start with a kitten I guess, but I've not managed anything regularly. Kizzy who is 6/7 years old has beautiful gnashers with no tartar build-up. The vet was impressed with her teeth at the annual check up, but it's nothing I've done. She eats kibble and fresh rodent. Pip however does have some tartar although he eats the same food. Vet has said that some cats are just prone and others aren't. There is an enzyme based toothpaste brand name Logic - a cat can benefit from just licking it off their paw or a human finger, which might be easier than trying to get a brush or finger in their mouth and probably a lot less painful for cat or human involved!

Peanutsfriend
16-10-2014, 04:03 PM
There are treats now too for keeping the teeth tartar free. But if the cat doesn't like them it won't work.
;) out of eight cats I think I can brush one cats teeth...
He doesn't have much tarter either. but if I get it early it might help him.
Nobody seems to know about this...Maybe that should tell me something:D
Jill

Shelley123
16-10-2014, 08:15 PM
i've never managed to brush a cats teeth, as Angie says i think you would need to start when they are kittens.
I use a special finger thing for the dogs and have trained them to accept this.
I believe the enzyme paste that Angie suggests is worth a try.
I also use a product called plaque off for the dogs, it can also be used for cats as long as they don't have a thyroid problem.
Plaque off is a powder made from seaweed and is about £10 for a small jar, hoever you only need a tiny bit sprinkled onto food once a day, seems to work for the dogs

angieh
16-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I thought about Plaque Off after I'd posted. I use it for Monty dog who is prone to plaque. As Shelley says, it can only be used on cats or dogs who do not have a thyroid problem as it is a seaweed based product and has iodine in it.

Feliss
05-11-2014, 10:59 AM
I do wonder if these none mechanical techniques actually work, and if they do why aren't they used in humans?