PDA

View Full Version : Cows milk helping arthritis?

Phoenix
04-10-2014, 09:45 PM
I've noticed Tom's arthritis seems to improve a little bit for the night if he has a drop of cows milk just before bed, is it actually the cows milk helping him or what is it? :?

I know cats are not supposed to have cows milk but it seems to be the thing that helps Tom the most, we tried oily fish and that helped short term but he got bored of it and decided he didn't want it any more :roll:

It's just weird that Tom's arthritis seems to be helped by cows milk on a night. He doesn't get much cows milk - literally just a tiny drop on a saucer and as I said that appears to be the thing that currently helps his arthritis and he can get comfortable to sleep on my bed whereas before he spent about 10 minutes trying to get comfortable :?

fecto's mum
04-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Anything that works is good. Just a thought, would goats milk be any better?

Phoenix
05-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Anything that works is good. Just a thought, would goats milk be any better?

Unfortunately we can't get goats milk here, in order to get goats milk we'd have to find the nearest Tesco (because our nearest Asda which is only a few miles down the road) only seem to sell cows milk or soya milk (and soya milk is disgusting - I've tried it!)

Peanutsfriend
09-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I know it is a no no about the milk:shock:
My meusette loved it.
I gave it to her. She was old and not getting better. Sometimes its the pleasure that matters:-P
plain yogert, plain greek, cottage cheese. She liked these too. vanillia ice cream. Evaporated milk too.
You are doing good:cool:

Jill

Elaine
11-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Cows milk can help with osteoarthritis but I wouldn't recommend giving too much, if any to cats. I know some cats don't appear to be intolerant to it but I'd be careful. Lecithin granuals are better, you can get it in your local health food shop or if you struggle, I have some and could maybe send you some to try. But do consult your vet about it first and ask their advise or ask them to look into it for you, don't just take my word or the links I have sent.
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/osteoarthritis.htm
http://www.chirovetpractic.com/osteoarthritis.html

farthing
11-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I have found acupuncture very useful in cats with arthritis.
If milk helps, I guess it's no worse or even better than using Metacam in cats but in the long term , it may be worth talking to your vet about various options..... Cartrophen injections, tramadol etc.

Yulecat
12-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Glucosamine is what I use for the arthritis Chiyo (dog) has.

(I just realized this post is from 2008. Sorry!)