PDA

View Full Version : Boxers - the dogs not the people

Kazz
07-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Never really had any dealings with Boxers mostly because Sal was "run at" by one as a pup and she disliked them, thinking back I think it was more "pushed her over than an attack....but she was only a few months old and you do worry but today I saw a gorgeous Boxer pup and must say I was impressed I do not see many about now.

I liked him.

dinky
07-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Boxers are a very popular breed here in NZ, Kazz. I don't know much about them ,but I hear they can be quite a handful. They are lovely dogs though with beautiful faces. A breed of dog we don't see much here is the corgi.

Kazz
07-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Boxers are a very popular breed here in NZ, Kazz. I don't know much about them ,but I hear they can be quite a handful. They are lovely dogs though with beautiful faces. A breed of dog we don't see much here is the corgi.

Not a lot of corgi's here either at least not that I see I believe they are on the vunerable breed list here.

Shelley123
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
i wouldn't choose a Boxer because i prefer dogs with a decent muzzle but i have known some nice Boxers in the past.
As for Corgis, i saw one on the caravan site last week but it's true you dont see many at all.

fecto's mum
07-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Like Boxers, wouldn't have one gift wrapped i'm afraid. My brother has one, mad as a box of frogs, gorgeous girl but hyper. She wiggles from head to tail, which is lovely, but she's a bit too energetic for me.

Wouldn't mind a Corgi. OH said they are a bit nippy but that was their job so I'm not surprised. Prefer Pembrokes to Cardigans. Other dogs you don't see many of, which I like, are Sealyhams and Clumbers. I would be wary of getting a rare breed. My oldest brother has had awful problems with Wolfhounds because of the very small gene pool.

farthing
07-06-2014, 10:25 PM
They can be very bouncy dogs. We fostered one and I admit, I fell in love. He was a rescue dog who had been witnessed being punched in the face, and he was still lovely. They do have a lot of health issues and at our vet we have mainly really lovely boxer but a few really dodgy ones who will bite!

I've met a few corgis, actually nicer natured than I thought they would be. We are sure, our Sandy is a corgi/ Shetland sheepdog cross, he is a bold ankle nipper!

dinky
07-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Funny you should mention wolfhounds Fecto's Mum, because my sister has 2 Irish wolfhounds. She has had many wolfhounds in the past and has bred several litters, but is not doing so now. I think the 2 she has now are imports from Australia. They are nice dogs but are not terribly friendly(more aloof, rather than vicious) and her 2 have VERY delicate stomachs. I know she has to be very careful with their food -They are on Addiction food which is very expensive.

farthing
07-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I've met a few wolfhounds and they were really calm and friendly, their biggest issue was health and longevity- they have a short lifespan due to quite a few heredity problrms

Moli
08-06-2014, 08:47 PM
My Boxer Maggie, is the most chilled out. laid back dog you could meet..She is 100% in everyway....

Kazz
08-06-2014, 10:46 PM
A breed I have not seen in years are chows my neighbour used to show them well she had two they were aloof and not friendly at all.

Kazz
08-06-2014, 10:50 PM
My Boxer Maggie, is the most chilled out. laid back dog you could meet..She is 100% in everyway....

Yes I mentioned Maggie to them and they were impressed this was their third Boxer there other two had been bitches this was their first dog and they said very different kettle of fish.

angieh
09-06-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm not an experienced dog person, as you know but have always been very wary of chows - my mum was bitten by one when she was just a girl.

But then she put me off apricots too!

yola
09-06-2014, 12:37 PM
My OH had Boxers as a child, both male and both as daft as brushes but very gentle with him and his brother when they were smll. Very protective however; they would let people into the property but wouldn't let them out again which worked very well on the one occasion it happened to be burglars!

Kim
09-06-2014, 05:10 PM
We see a few Boxers who donate for the blood bank, usually crazy dogs! Wouldn't be a breed of choice for me, but the ones I have met have been very friendly.

Kazz
14-06-2014, 11:41 PM
My OH had Boxers as a child, both male and both as daft as brushes but very gentle with him and his brother when they were smll. Very protective however; they would let people into the property but wouldn't let them out again which worked very well on the one occasion it happened to be burglars!

I have heard that about Boxers before letting people in but not out.............is it a breed trait I wonder? Or do they sleep through the initial break in and then wake up and thinks OPPS............

Kazz
14-06-2014, 11:41 PM
We see a few Boxers who donate for the blood bank, usually crazy dogs! Wouldn't be a breed of choice for me, but the ones I have met have been very friendly.
Hello you how is everything..............

Kazz
14-06-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm not an experienced dog person, as you know but have always been very wary of chows - my mum was bitten by one when she was just a girl.

But then she put me off apricots too!

But at least to my knowledge Apricots do not bite.......:-D

dinky
15-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Speaking of boxers letting people in but not out, many dogs do this.One of my earlier mastiffs was left in a van with tinted windows, while my late husband was in the hotel having a drink.Some idiot broke into the van by working at the door lock. He would have been unaware that Nero was lying in the back, because the dog would have waited until the guy was actually inside. When Mick got back to the van, it was not a pretty sight.The guy got away but was very badly bitten in the process, judging by the amount of blood etc all over the front of the van.The police checked hospitals/medical centres but he was never caught, which in hindsight, was lucky for Nero because if the "thief" had laid a complaint, then Nero could have had to be PTS.It is indeed a crazy world out there.

angieh
15-06-2014, 11:14 AM
But at least to my knowledge Apricots do not bite.......:-D

Ah, now you see that's what happened to my mum .... although it was probably more like food poisoning.

Kim
15-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Hello you how is everything..............

Ah, Hello you too! We are all ok :) just come back from a fab holiday in Norfolk with hounds and my son recently visited from Australia with his girlfriend. How are you? X

Kazz
16-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Ah, Hello you too! We are all ok :) just come back from a fab holiday in Norfolk with hounds and my son recently visited from Australia with his girlfriend. How are you? X

I am weller than I was but not as well as I intend to be :-D

Where did you go in Norfolk?

Velvet
22-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Our two Boxers are very laid back. M & F.

Ive had Boxers from early 80's - always have a trio at any one time. Usually 2 bitches & a dog. Ive never known a Boxer to let people in but not out :). They can be boisterous but you know its all in the training. You get what you put in. You will never ever get anywhere by "telling " a Boxer what to do. Much better to manipulate & let them think they thought of it in first place :)

Some can have health issues but if you insure with a good company like petplan you wont go wrong

Loads in Boxer rescues up & down the country. Sadly theyre overbred & people think nothing of getting rid for any old excuse ;(

As long as i am capable there will always be a boxer or two in the house :)

Kazz
22-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Our two Boxers are very laid back. M & F.

Ive had Boxers from early 80's - always have a trio at any one time. Usually 2 bitches & a dog. Ive never known a Boxer to let people in but not out :). They can be boisterous but you know its all in the training. You get what you put in. You will never ever get anywhere by "telling " a Boxer what to do. Much better to manipulate & let them think they thought of it in first place :)

Some can have health issues but if you insure with a good company like petplan you wont go wrong

Loads in Boxer rescues up & down the country. Sadly theyre overbred & people think nothing of getting rid for any old excuse ;(

As long as i am capable there will always be a boxer or two in the house :)

See that's my thinking of Staffs.....people say they are stubborn I say the people who ay that do not think around the box. ;)