PDA

View Full Version : Burmese with diarrhoea?

farthing
06-06-2014, 12:08 AM
I got a pm on Facebook about a Burmese cat in Falkirk who is going to be PTS next week because it has diarrhoea and the vets can't find out why. The owner has a young child and can't cope.
I know nothing yet about age, sex or what it has been tested for yet, but on the off chance, any thoughts as potential problem, is FIP a concern, do you think?

PoshPuss
06-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Seems to be quite serious if they are considering euthanasia :( and the vets can't establish why, farthing.
I don't know enough to make a guess at why, but I can sympathise with the family who are at a loss what to do - sad.

angieh
06-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Poor cat - could it be stress-related? Don't know enough to make informed comment, I'm afraid.

fecto's mum
06-06-2014, 01:26 PM
The Big Foozy was pretty desperate as regards poo when we got him. At first I thought he'd got cold on his tummy after he'd been chucked out in January. I tried all sorts of food and came to the conclusion he is cereal intolerant so he gets 'sensitive tummy' dry food and cereal free wet food. He's fine now but it took months of trial and error. The vet just said he needed food for sensitive tummies and recommended some horrendously expensive stuff they just happened to sell! I don't think diarrhoea is a reason to have a cat put to sleep unless the cat is very ill with it. We persevered with the Big Foozy for months before we got him right. Perhaps Burmese Rescue could help. Seems such a shame. Just thought, a friend lives in Castle Douglas, she is an animal communicator, maybe she would be able to find out why. Elaine told me all sorts about the Big Foozy that helped me to help him. Elaine Easton Murdoch, I know she's on fb but I don't know if she has a website. Got to be worth a try.

farthing
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Arrrgh, it seems the owner is now thinking about PTS rather than rehoming. He isn't dehydrated or thin so I doubt it's something terminal. I think the husband is pushing for PTS and she is worried because her cat hissed at a neighbour's cat so she thinks he won't adapt. They want to discuss with the vet again.
Still it's very frustrating, we are in the area picking up other rescues tomorrow so could have taken him home tomorrow ( he's about 3 hours away!) and we are left waiting, potentially turning away other cats while we wait for a decision.

fecto's mum
07-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Couldn't you just really lose your temper with some people. Had quite a bit of experience with rescue dogs. I wish people would realise that any animal isn't just a disposable toy you can get rid of when you are fed up with it. How selfish. Could you ask the vet to let you know if they bring it in to be PTS? Why get the bloody cat if they get fed up that easy. I use to call people like this earwigs as in I wouldn't trust them to look after an earwig let alone a dog. Grrrrr. Rant over. Sorry Farthing, sounds like you are doing your very best under extremely trying circumstances.

Liz
10-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Could be TF that is making it like that in which case will need to be isolated from any other cats and put on tablets for about 3 weeks and it is a sod to clear as some cats become carriers for it and show no other signs

Usually treated with ronidazole

farthing
17-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks Liz, heard no more of this cat, owner is apparently on holiday.

Velvet
19-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi

I hope its not too late for the little cat with chronic diarrhea. We have had this problem. For six months under vets care we trialled diets specifically for this problem but as soon as we came off meds back came the diarrhea

It was a persian breeder on catsey that gave me the solution. I was very skeptical & for a while didnt get the food then i bought a bag & didnt use it :). My vet in meantime was suggesting Scans

I felt we had nothing to lose. Day two of a five day changeover there was a difference in stool consistency , i didnt dare hope but i was excited. By day five we had nornsl stools. It was like a miracle:). Its an adult food but we supplemented the kittens diet with wet kitten food. He has certainly never looked back

Last year we got in a poorly rescue kitten again with chronic diarrhea. Within days of going on the food his stools were normal.

If they get any variation away from this dry food both cats will get loose again

I feed all our cats on it & have been told CP use it. Ours love it. Not the cheapest food but well worth it.

I really cannot recommend this food highly enough

Pro Plan Delicate

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_review.asp?dept_id=902&pf_id=4914

This is Jac the little one who was so bad with diarrhea

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y494/misbenjac/BBA6B99D-CAA8-45E5-A48F-A24420B117EB_zpsguueju8m.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/misbenjac/media/BBA6B99D-CAA8-45E5-A48F-A24420B117EB_zpsguueju8m.jpg.html)

This is Henri who we got last year also with chronic diarrhea, now aged 10 months, this is the shed that leads into their cat run :)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y494/misbenjac/0D84140D-1A18-4611-AFE0-8C6224DBE82A_zpsz7ilkl61.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/misbenjac/media/0D84140D-1A18-4611-AFE0-8C6224DBE82A_zpsz7ilkl61.jpg.html)

farthing
20-06-2014, 10:12 PM
This cat is back on and will be collected as soon as we can get down to fife.
It turns out he also suffers from 'feline orofacial pain syndrome', which can be triggered by stress but seems to be treated fairly easily.
He is an older boy so fits our criteria and hopefully we can sort out his issues.
Thanks for taking the time to post Velvet. I will see what tests have actually been done and see what can be changed to help him.

dinky
20-06-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm really pleased that you are going to be collecting this burmese cat,farthing, and that he was not PTS.Hopefully, his life will be able to be changed for the better and he will be able to find some peace and security.All the best for the pick up.

fecto's mum
20-06-2014, 11:12 PM
So glad you are taking the cat. The Big Foozy now thrives on Sanabelle for sensitive digestion dry food and hi life tuna and salmon pouches. These are only 19p each from Home Bargains. He also has Daya salmon foil trays and Sheba trays as a treat/something different. The good thing about this food is all the other cats can eat it and its not horrendously expensive. I hope the Burmese gets better soon, I would think his stress will reduce when he gets settled and his tummy gets sorted.

farthing
26-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Feeling a tad frustrated but that's how rescue goes!
The owner now wants the cat rehomed this weekend because he has started to pooh outside the litter tray and she starts a childminding business on Monday. We have to meet them half-way of Friday because we have workmen this weekend starting on our new rabbit runs! Arrrgh!

The cat has only had diarrhoea for about a month and had steroids and antibiotics and bloods taken, no food trials or faecal samples sent off as far as I know. I'll get the vet records and see what my vets think we should do next.
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll keep you updated.

PoshPuss
26-06-2014, 04:41 PM
What a crazy life that little cat has had so far :( Hope you will give him some stability and maybe the poo problems will resolve once he's feeling secure. Once again, angel farthing to the rescue x :D

fecto's mum
26-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Poor little chap. Why do people do this, Drives me mad. Thank God for people like Farthing.

timber-
28-06-2014, 01:34 AM
I'm so happy it's all coming together even though it's happening faster than anticipated. I use slippery elm to treat diarrhea for my dogs. I did some reading and it can be used for cats too. Maybe you can double check with your vet.

angieh
28-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Slippery Elm is a wondrous thing .... I used to give it to my dear old Merlin when he couldn't keep food down, so it is safe for cats. Good thinking, timber-.

timber-
11-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Does anyone know what dosages are safe for cats and slippery elm?

Velvet
13-07-2014, 07:37 PM
You dont take chances with kittens Timber, your wee one needs to see the vet