PDA

View Full Version : Hestia limping

Tink
26-04-2014, 11:01 PM
I noticed the past few days Hestia not enthusiastic to coming downstairs to take her medicine and treats at night. I've been fetching her and carrying her downstairs for her bedtime routine instead. Thought it odd but got more concerened as I noticed last night that she had a slight limp on her left front leg. Checked her paw and arm and can't seem to notice anything amiss. The limping is not very obvious if she's walking quickly but is very pronounced when she first gets up and/or is walking in a slow/relaxed fashion. Rang her vet and made an appt. for Monday but was advised to take her to the ER if she stops eating or moving altogether. I wonder what is going on with her now. Pretty concerned as she's my 15 year old with hyperthyroid and a heart arrythmia. I guess it could be anything from a sprain to arthritis or cancer or something to do with her health conditions. Anyone know any other things I should be watching for that would warrant a trip to the ER instead of waiting till her appt. on Monday? She seems to be eating fine. Just laying down more and seems to want to be next to the heater or in the sun.

fecto's mum
26-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Hi Tink, if Hestia is eating OK I wouldn't worry too much. If she was in a lot of pain she wouldn't want to do anything. I would think her limping is just her age catching up with her. Perhaps she's just a little bit stiff when she first wakes up. My oldest cat, Fecto, is nearly 12 and he is finding it difficult to jump up onto his favourite places. Older cats seem to want to sleep more. I would think she will be fine until she sees the vet on Monday. The limp could be caused by a sore shoulder joint. Maybe check to see if there is any heat in any joints or if her pads are OK. Has she jumped down from somewhere and perhaps jarred a joint. I hope she soon feels better , give her lots of cuddles and strokes from me.

Tink
27-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the good advice.

As far as I know, I didn't witness her having any tumbles. But I have been awfully busy lately so it could have easily been missed or when I was not at home.
I checked her paw pads and spread them and looked between the toes and I can't find any wound. She did not wanting me checking her "elbow". It almost looks like it originates from the shoulder area the more I look at it. It does look stiff like you say. Hopefully it's just arthritis. Thanks.

PoshPuss
27-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Hi Tink :) Hopefully we can rule out Hestia has an injury as she is an older cat who probably is less active. My guess would be arthritis which stiffens her up when she has been immobile for a while. Especially as she is sore in the elbow region. If she is eating ok, she is not in too much pain and there's no need to take her to the ER, maybe a check up later or a mention when she is next due for one. :)

Tink
28-04-2014, 12:35 AM
She's looking better today. Not so worried anymore :D

angieh
28-04-2014, 09:58 AM
They do like to get us worried, don't they? I was concerned about a similar problem with Kizzy a few days ago, but she is much younger than Hestia. She's fine now too, just jarred or pulled something maybe. Glad to hear Hestia is looking better now. Cuddles from me too for the dear lady.

fecto's mum
28-04-2014, 11:52 AM
So glad to hear Hestia is feeling better. I can worry about the cats over the slightest thing. OH is always very pessimistic about the dogs. It is very hard not to think the worst with an older cat, I think it's because we want to do our very best for them. I used to give Remus, our GSD, Joint Care tablets when he was older. There may be something similar for older cats. I need to look for something for Fecto so I will let you know if I find something.

dinky
28-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Glad Hestia is feeling a bit better now Tink. We do worry about them, don't we.

Tink
28-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks, everyone. I started giving her some senior kitty treats with glucosamine in them so I wonder if that helped. Anyhow, I'm still keeping her appt. that I scheduled in a few hours just to be on the safe side. I'm sure she'll probably tell the vet that I'm crazy and make me look looney tunes :lol:

fecto's mum
28-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Forgot about glucosamine, good idea Tink. It does work, I think that was in the tablets I used to give Remus. They gave him another 2 years of pain free life.

Tink
29-04-2014, 05:56 AM
So things went pretty well at the vet. Hestia is up 0.4 lb. since last month and she said she feels like she's better hydrated and her heart arrhythmia even resolved itself (all this from switching to the transdermal gel and adding the antacids). She had no fever and found no wounds. She palpated the leg which Hestia did not like and growled alot and even snapped at her (good thing this vet is fast and moved in time). She didn't feel any thickening like arthritis would indicate and all range of motion felt normal as did muscle mass on both sides so she believes this was some soft tissue injury due to her maybe landing wrong or twisting herself in an odd way off the bed when I wasn't around to witness it (the bed and the couch are the highest places she jumps these days). She offered a few days worth of pain killer if I liked which I accepted so she can get some relief while it heals. I'm pretty happy this wasn't more serious, thanks for the help :)

angieh
29-04-2014, 11:30 AM
That's good news Tink. Glad your vet has quick reactions, that must have been a painful exam for Hestia. Hope she continues to improve - painkillers are great for the other painkiller, time, to work it's magic.

fecto's mum
29-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Good news, Tink. Very pleased to hear Hestia is on the improve. Give her lots of cuddles from me.