PDA

View Full Version : Coughing and front legs sinking down

Phoenix
10-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Ebony started doing that really badly last night, she did it again today. We're taking her to the vets tomorrow evening (the earliest appointment the vet could give us). What could be causing it? The trouble with google is it comes up with stuff like lung cancer or pneumonia or something equally as nasty (I googled it to see what it could possibly be caused by then wished I hadn't)

Other than the cough she's behaving normally apart from seeking excessive reassurance during the coughing attack (during the coughing she looks like she's trying to throw up)

fecto's mum
11-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Hi Phoenix, poor Ebony. Perhaps it's a fur ball she's trying to get rid of. Hope all goes well at the vets. Doesn't sound like she's too distressed but best to make sure.

Velvet
11-03-2014, 03:22 AM
Definitely best to get checked out, could be anything

dinky
11-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Poor Ebony. Hope all goes well at the vets. I'll say a wee prayer for her tonight.

angieh
11-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I am hoping a furball, fingers crossed. Positive vibes being sent.

Shelley123
11-03-2014, 03:49 PM
How did you get on at the vets ?
Hope everything is ok

PoshPuss
11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Hope it is just a fur ball and nothing more serious. x

Mags
11-03-2014, 11:15 PM
How is Ebony after her visit to vet this evening, Phoenix?

Phoenix
11-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Vet seeing her again tomorrow he suspects asthma

Velvet
12-03-2014, 12:57 AM
I have heard of cats with asthma before, wonder what sort of treatment that will entail. Hugs from us x

dinky
12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Phoenix, a cat I had until a few years ago, had asthma. She was on asthma inhalers and we gave them to her via a special spacer designed for a cat. It was placed over her mouth and held firmly in position until she breathed in the medication.Hopefully, if wee Ebony does have asthma, there will be better and less invasive treatments available now.Hope all goes well for your kitty.

Phoenix
12-03-2014, 10:29 AM
She's back at the vets again, I can post an update when I know what's going on

Shelley123
12-03-2014, 12:11 PM
hope everything goes well for Ebony

angieh
12-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Thinking of Ebony this morning. As a lifelong asthmatic, I do feel for her and she can't understand either.

Phoenix
12-03-2014, 05:53 PM
She's back home again now (Mum picked her up) the vet said it's definitely asthma and he also found old trauma injuries (ribs) which looks like she was likely abused before we adopted her, going to see the copy of the xray Mum got for me when I get home.

The vet sha saw loves her (she just let him do all the "horrible" things he needed to do to her) without turning round and swiping at him (which is the reaction I was expecting from her and I think the vet was expecting it as well)

angieh
12-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Poor little girl, but what a good girl too at the vet. What's the treatment going to entail, Phoenix?

fecto's mum
12-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Good that you know the problem is with Ebony, poor little sweetheart.

Phoenix
13-03-2014, 09:45 AM
We got tablets to give her she taken this mornings dose without a murmur good girl and she seeing vet again in a week for a review

fecto's mum
13-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm really glad that Ebony is on the mend. What a good Mum she has found. I have to take my Fecto to the vet this afternoon. He lay down on the bed next to me this morning and then jumped up quick. When I looked he had weed where he had been lying without realising. He's nearly 12 so I'm a bit worried his kidneys are going. Good job it's a fine day so I can dry all the bedding Have to take duvet to launderette. Fecto is my oldest and favourite cat, we've had him since he was a tiny chap, covered in ringworm. He grew up to be a very big, 22lb softy.

PoshPuss
13-03-2014, 06:18 PM
It's a good thing Ebony's been diagnosed and is now being treated and monitored :)
Hope Fecto has just been sleeping very deeply and it's not anything serious, dear old chap. Perhaps he was just hinting for a new duvet cover? ;)

dinky
13-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Glad to hear that Ebony is responding well to the treatment and the wee girl will continue to improve. Sorry about Fecto having to go to the vet, but hopefully all will be well for the lovely boy.

fecto's mum
13-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Vet thinks Fecto may have a urinary tract infection so he had a short acting antibiotic. He was very stressed on the way there and on the way back pooed in the basket so he had to have a bath when he got home. He's so big I have to do him in the bath. Poor Fecto. Anyway, he got his milkaccino, (Whiskas cat milk shaken up so it's frothy) and he will get a cooked chicken tomorrow, well, some of it. He's dried out now and got his purr back, poor chap. He'll sleep on my head tonight as usual, he has a very short memory, thank goodness.

Phoenix
15-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Aww give Fecto a stroke and a cuddle from us Catsey-ers please <3

fecto's mum
15-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks Phoenix, he's slept on my head for 2 nights now. No more accidental wees. Cooked a chicken for him today for being brave at the vets.

Hope Ebony is feeling better, at least Fecto's visit to the vet was a one off.

Phoenix
19-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Ebony went back to the vets today, she had another asthma attack last night (luckily not a serious one) her meds have been changed and we have to write down every time she starts wheezing or coughing and if she has another asthma attack that her meds don't help with we have to take her back to the vet

PoshPuss
19-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Oh Poor Ebony :( hope she gets better soon an that her meds can be sorted for her.

angieh
19-03-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm sad to hear she's had another attack and like PoshPuss, I do hope her meds can be sorted so she gets what she needs to stop the attacks. Poor girl.

Shelley123
19-03-2014, 08:24 PM
hope the vets get Ebony's meds sorted soon.
Glad Fecto is on the mend

dinky
20-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Poor wee Ebony. Asthma is no fun. I hope that she responds well to the medication Phoenix. I guess it might be just a case of trial and error to see what the best level of medication is. My late kitty, Nala, lived with asthma for a couple of years and she responded well to inhalers through a spacer.Glad to hear the beautiful Fecto is also feeling much better .