PDA

View Full Version : Freyja, finding out if she's spayed.

farthing
08-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Freyja, our recent addition was found very poorly on a road and taken to our vets. She was crawling with lice, thin and weak but nothing else was apparent. She is FIV/ FeLV negative The vets think she is a youngish cat, we think she has perhaps Bengal in her and she is very sweet.
We were asked to take her and treat her for the lice infestation, while waiting to see if anybody claimed her-nobody did.
We don't know if she has been Spayed and rather than put her through a possibly needless op, we are using a series of blood samples to let us know. It involves injecting so chemical, taking a blood test and then another 2 hours later.
Just wondering if anybody had tried this before?

angieh
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Not heard of this possibility farthing. What a good thing if reliable.

Poor wee Freyja, best wishes for a good recovery.

PoshPuss
08-03-2014, 12:32 PM
That's a great step forward. Probably some sort of hormone test. Both Posh and Pandora were operated on to check for a spey, as it turned out both needed to have the job done but I would have hated to have put them through anaesthesia for nothing. Not to say the cost! Kisses for Freyja xx

dinky
08-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Poor wee Freyja. I don't know about testing to determine if she has been speyed but I'm sure she'll be much happier when she is free of lice. Thank goodness for people like you, farthing, that are willing to go the extra mile and offer shelter and care to those animals that need it. Hope all goes well for young Freyja.

fecto's mum
08-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Never heard of this test but it's a good idea. An unknown history is a bit of a gamble but it always pays off. I hope Freyja recovers well, you seem to have the sort of cats we have. Whenever we have a 'vacancy' a cat in need usually turns up.

farthing
28-03-2014, 08:42 PM
It turns out Freyja is not spayed, she's booked in next Thursday. I rather thought she wasn't, but with Eric estimated to be about 7-8 years old, I have to wonder if shes spent her life being a frustrated house cat or had numerous litters of kittens.
I do think she may have Bengal in her and wonder if she has been a breeding queen, in poor conditions, explaining her louse ridden condition when found.

angieh
28-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Poor Freyja - she'll hopefully pick up after spaying and being louse-free.

dinky
28-03-2014, 09:26 PM
If the poor girl was a breeding queen kept in those conditions, then that breeder should never be allowed near any animal again.Freyja is now safe ,thank goodness. I hope all goes well with her spey on Thursday. She sounds such a beautiful girl.

PoshPuss
28-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Freyja will be a new puss soon lice free and without her (probably) worn out womb. Let's hope she gets to spend her life healthy and happy now :) Bengals, are they the vocal ones? If so she must have been a joy to have around in season! Pretty though.

fecto's mum
28-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Freyja must feel much better already now she is clean, fed and loved. She will feel better when she has been spayed too I bet. Bless her. She sounds a lovely girl.

farthing
04-04-2014, 11:08 PM
We had to cancel Freyja's spay until yesterday. The vet found she had very cystic ovaries and a very engorged and turgid uterus. This may have been why she didn't have obvious seasons. Anyway, she's been done and microchipped, she is as bright as a button today and I'm hoping she will now put on weight.
Just have to get Kitty, the feral, done...... which I'm not looking forward to!

Velvet
05-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Pleased all went well with the op. Haven't heard of that test before, must be new. Haven't heard of any of our rescues using it but it sounds good

dinky
05-04-2014, 05:48 AM
Thank goodness Freyja has had her operation and is now on the road to recovery. She can now look forward to a happy ,secure life where she will be much loved. Good luck with Kitty the feral.

farthing
27-03-2015, 08:18 AM
A sad update on Freyja, who until recently was loving life and sleek and greedy.
I noticed a couple of months ago she was acting nervous and had gone off her food, normally she liked to be carried to her food bowl and then would run around everybody else's bowl stealing a bite. On examination I found a lump below her left ear, on her jawline. I took her to the vet and he thought it was an abscess so she went in to get it lanced. In honesty I didn't believe it was from a fight because I never have issues with serious fight, but accepted it could have happened and that was maybe why she was nervous. The capsule of the lump was very thick and full of bloody/ pusy fluid. We got her home and seperated her to allow her time to recover and get her nerve back. The lump kept filling with fluid and we would drain it, it wasn't infected fluid just a bloody serum. She was in pain relief and antibiotics but the lump kept growing. We put her back in for it to be opened up again and the vet sent off a biopsy, and it's a carcinoma. There is nothing we can do, other than keep her comfortable but it seems the lifespan is very short with this type of cancer and it is very fast growing so has probably spread. We don't think she is very old so feel it's a particularly cruel thing to happen to her. She's been happy here, at least, but it's no real consolation.

fecto's mum
27-03-2015, 04:24 PM
So sorry about Freyja. I always find it upsetting when an illness comes out of nowhere. Like you say at least she has been happy while she has been with you.

dinky
27-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Farthing, so sorry to hear the terrible news about Freyja.It is so upsetting when you know that nothing can be done to help her especially when she is a young cat. At least you are able to keep her comfortable. I'm thinking of you both at this sad time.

angieh
28-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm so sorry to read this farthing. Poor Freyja. I know you will do all you can to keep her comfortable. It's so unfair after how well she'd been doing with you and had found a safe loving home.

Velvet
30-03-2015, 03:31 AM
How dreadfully sad, just when life was so good. If only sk
She had come to you sooner. She is loved & she knows it xx

farthing
04-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Thank you.
Freyja was pts on Tuesday, the lump was extending into her eye and ear and was infected despite having a convenia injection and being on baytril. The vet came to the house and she was sedated and pts on my knee, purring until she slept.
It's was sad but a release for her, to keep her any longer would have been cruel.

angieh
04-04-2015, 11:11 PM
I'm so sorry to read this farthing. She passed knowing she was loved and I'm sure that will help her on her journey. Bless you, that was a selfless thing to do.

dinky
05-04-2015, 02:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Freyja, farthing. You did everything you could for her while she was with you and she knew that you loved her. Freyja is at peace now,. Be gentle with yourself at this sad time. I'm thinking of you.

fecto's mum
05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
So sorry about Freyja, she will be safe now and pain free. I like to imagine the cats I have lost all getting together and putting the world to rights and looking after each other.

Velvet
06-04-2015, 03:18 AM
So so sorry.

Scamper wild & free little Freyja x