PDA

View Full Version : Bl**dy fireworks

Kazz
02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
BL**DY FIREWORKS.........

I thought I had done my best by renting a cottage in remote wales as I could see she was unsure of them and the thunder so to avoid them here in Birmingham Bella and I drove there late this morning only to find she is also petrified of gunfire there was a shooting range within earshot and she would not settle at all and tried to climb up the chimney so put her in the car and have driven home fireworks all over tonight she is petrified however have found a kinda solution in my bedroom under the dressing table which is up against solid walls and the bed to the left and wall to the bathroom on the right two big towels and my dressing gown draped over the table making a den sort of thing and me sitting her typing stroking her.

Have had to put us both in here as she tried to climb into the TV cabinet and under the kitchen unit pushing the plinth aside that's a small gap as you will know Staffies do not fit under kitchen units. So the bedroom appears to be the place with X factor blaring away (good job we are end house)and the bedroom is not next to next doors. Glad she ate her share of the roast chicken tonight before all this started as she must have lost weight with all the energy in being scared. Poor girl but she is safe and kinda settled they are loud tonight though.

Cottage I wales - lovely but not suitable.....no fireworks but gunfire. Paid till next Monday 11th to avoid the firework weekend lost it all though but she is more than worth it.

We have tried Skulllcap and valerian and something a kind person on another site let me try but I do not think they work however if they are and this is with the calming working LORD HELP US I cannot think of the name of it at the moment but not good - DO NOT want to sedate her as must be terrible to be scared but drugged so off to buy a thunder coat and rescue remedy tomorrow and really set the bedroom out properly for her.
Every now and again she literally crawls under the bed and her heart is going 9000000000000000000000000000000 million miles a millisecond......

BLOODY FIREWORKS never had a dog who was even aware of them before but I can't blame the people who enjoy them I have myself in the past one of those things I think we will have to get through. Empathies to all who are affected in anyway.

If they do not work for Bella I will wear the thunder coat and take the rescue remedy and everything else....

alexgirl73
03-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Oh bless her :( and you. Isn't it strange how some dogs are so scared ans others don't flinch. Massive booms here all night and Ranger hasn't been affected at all, he's actually been out in the garden watching them. The cats aren't bothered either.

I hope the thunder coat etc work for her. Such a shame about the cottage too, is there no one you know who could use it instead x

Velvet
03-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Hope she's ok, we turn the tv up close the curtains and and act normally

I can sympathise though as Amber petrified of loud noises bands etc and nothing consoles her :(

angieh
03-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I totally agree .......... BL**DY FIREWORKS

Shelley123
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Oh what. a shame about the cottage,its what you call sods law.Hope the shirt helps.

tilly
03-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Ellen hates them to so this year I got some diazepam from the vets for her and she is much better and a bit doppy but I think it is worth it for her not to be pacing and distressed.
I did try xanax as welll but that didn't seem to have any effect on her.
She has also got a DAP collar on and a den under the table in my lounge.

Also I find loading a kong up with yummy treat and gving her that help out as well as it distracts her.

I would also turn up my tv but I have got a very thin joining wall and a nasty neighbour.

Anyway it might be worth asking the vets if they can prescribe somethign for Bella. I haven't before now as I have just muddled along but though this year I would see if meds helped her and they have. She is fine and pretty much bomb proof with everythign else she just jhates the firework and get in a state with them.
She isn't to keen on thunder sorms but they seem to pass by reasonable quickly so she is OK.

I must admit I am turning into the fireworks grinch as it hardly seem fair to stress out so many people and pets. Especially as there are veyr good quite fireworks.

Hope Bella is OK and hugs to both of you.
Sally and Ellen

PoshPuss
04-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Such a shame that the cottage was within the noise distance of the shooting range :(
Is there a chance you can get refunded, even if partial, if you write and explain the reasons for your early departure. You never know, the owner may be a dog lover and completely understand the problem!

We know by now the thundershirt and drops worked for the fireworks but it's a shame that your Welsh break was cut short Karen.

Kazz
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks all.
Tilly I am going to carry on with the thundershirt etc and see how we go. Hope and pleased you have found a solution.

I will survive PP to be honest the only reason for it was Bella but maybe she is better in surroundings she knows and feels safe in - I did actually wonder if she thought we were taking her somewhere to leave her when we arrived as she has been moved around so much.

Moli
04-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Poor girl, my Gyp is very noise phobic, I start giving her Skullcap & Valerium about a week before th fireworks strtand they really help....

Moli
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Just had Maggie & Heidi out for their evenign walk, so proud of the pup, both her and Maggie stood and watched the fireworks, no bad reaction from them...Gyp was at home sound asleep...

Elaine
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Rayne is too busy sleeping to be bothered by them thankfully.

PoshPuss
06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Things passed very quietly in the PP household, both slept through the whizzes and bangs. :D

Kazz
06-11-2013, 10:22 AM
I am pleased for all of you. Too be honest it is stressful but it is only a night - she was not good though. Never experienced this previously. But hopefuly the worst is over

yola
06-11-2013, 11:38 AM
One of my cats (the old stray Ferdy), was absolutely petrified of fireworks. None of the others; either before or since, seem too concerned. Myshka and Ripsy both turned their heads to look out of the back door at one particularly loud bang but other than that, there was zero reaction.

Karen, I guess it's just something you have to prepare for and I also guess that now you know what the reaction is you can be sure that Bella is as comfortable as possible for new year's eve and for next year. x

angieh
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Living rurally as we do, fireworks haven't been much of a problem for our animals before this year. Our new refurbished pub had a big firework party last night and I've never heard such loud bangs. The cats didn't seem to care, Pip was out, Kizzy was asleep under the pet fleece on our bed, Dora didn't seem too worried but Monty was petrified, shivering, panting and hid behind the sofa. Next year, if a party is planned I think we'll go somewhere for a few hours until it's over. Mercifully it didn't last too long but it really was loud and very close to us.

I'd ordered some pet remedy but it didn't arrive and I've now cancelled the order. The firm was apologetic but had been let down by their suppliers and DIDN'T LET CUSTOMERS KNOW. I gave them a bit of my mind, politely of course and the poor girl understood my pov and of course it was not her fault.

Indeed, BL**DY FIREWORKS.

Kazz
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Will they be having an event New Years eve Angie?

angieh
07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
mmmm I expect so Kazz. They have a party at the drop of a hat. The pub is very popular, and to be fair, it is a good thing for the village. Sometimes their music is loud, but that doesn't affect the animals.

Kazz
07-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Maybe suggest to them the silent fireworks like at Bristol Zoo could be a good marketing tool........for them

angieh
07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
SILENT fireworks???? Didn't know there was such a thing!

Kazz
07-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Bristol zoo ...............

Kazz
07-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Update she has just had a small saucer of milk - she won't touch her water.

I just hope that as our "bond" strengthens I will become more acustomed to it. :)

Kazz
08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Poor girl, my Gyp is very noise phobic, I start giving her Skullcap & Valerium about a week before th fireworks strtand they really help....
Have done that Pat and not sure they help. But if they are not really helping well if they are I would hate to see her without them.

But actually I am sort of getting used to it. She is very self sufficient coming immediately now to my bedroom and popping herself under the dressing table. Which has now become my desk. :-D

Good Lord I added a smiley face to a Bella and fireworks chat,:)

angieh
08-11-2013, 11:47 PM
More loud fireworks just over the road this evening. Poor Monty was such a wreck, panting and shaking. He found a place down by the side of the fridge-freezer and didn't come out until his daddy came home (he'd been in London all day). Even Dora was scared and was shivering, but she came to me and hid her head between my knees and allowed herself to be comforted and recovered quickly. I gave both of them some rescue remedy but not sure it helped. Made me think I was trying though.

Kazz
09-11-2013, 01:01 AM
I have the same issue here tonight again Angie we were good until about 7.30ish then bombs again. I have found louder than average TV and a background noise of a CD playing music about level 3-4 seems to make her less jumpy but she has settled well tonight in her den (ie under my dressing table) she was on the sofa asleep before that.
My heart goes out to you.

Edited to say she is snoring now but although felt brave enough to walk across ad get a drink of water she does not feel safe enough to go out for awe and I don't blame her still some going off - maybe an hour or so,

angieh
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
You just feel so helpless, don't you? At least in Dora's case she wasn't so petrified that she didn't want to be close but with Monty in the end I just had to leave him and wait for him to come back on his own. I checked him every so often but the wisdom is not to fuss them.

Kazz
09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Well at 1.30am she decided it was okay and went out for a wee and the curled up on the sofa and went to sleep. I sat in the armchair and fell asleep. Cd was put on in case. But today we have had 5 walks and 4 wee runs between 6.30am and 3pm ish and blow me a lone firework banged and up here she came she is fast asleep as no more since however is on alert as her ears are twitching but have Elvis best song on TV really loud and Dean Martin on the laptop may move to country and western later need something that is a constant but not boom boom.
The fireworks came on the TV earlier and she could not give a hoot - ust be a different decibel or something.
Hope yours have finished Angie.

Kazz
09-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Still at it around here Lord knows whats going on 100 shot ones apparently and some sort of bomb ones again some of which were so loud the neighbours were outside thinking there had been a crash involving a tanker on the motorway (has happened before)

Bella is okayish but far from good hope this stops soon.

angieh
10-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Monty has been scared again tonight, although there were no fireworks in the village, but some way away. Monty ran out into the garden when Dora went out for a wee and we had a major struggle to find him and get him back in. Shivering and panting again and really there was nothing nearly as bad as before. And I'd given him Zylkene but perhaps I should have been giving it to him days ago as I expect it has a cumulative effect.