PDA

View Full Version : Is Posh blind??

PoshPuss
10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I woke up to a strange cry this morning, although Posh was in the living room she had left the sofa and was wandering around the room and seemed frightened. I opened the curtains and her eyes were large, now they get like that when she is in the dark but the room was light. They have been like this all morning, quite dilated and she's moving her head around.

I have made an appointment with the vet at 4.30. I just know she has gone blind :cry: she hears me and I'm feeding her but she has lost her footing getting up on the sofa. She's purring but that can be a sign of discomfort/fright too.
Very worried. :(

Kazz
10-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Dear Lord how very scary..............I have no idea but I agree the vets is the best option.

I think I would carry on with what you are doing leave her in peace and get her too the vets.

angieh
10-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Thinking of you and Posh today .... sounds like you could be right. Good luck with the vet. Animals do adapt very well, although it is of course a huge shock to start with.

acatcalleddog
10-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I hope it goes well at the vets.

If it's any comfort, our last cats (who died of old age last summer) had cataracts - which are rare in cats apparently (and ironically, considering the pun!). Frodo especially had almost white eyes which grew worse in his final 5 years - at the end he too was very nervous getting on and off the sofa, and he clearly couldn't see much. But he managed fine really, for an old cat. He occasionally almost bumped into things - but even at aged 13 he was quick enough to move Just in time!

Remember, cats use smell and whiskers far more than eyes - their eyes are not as good as ours, except when they see movement and at night.

Good luck!

Elaine
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Oh no, poor Posh. Hope the vet can shed a bit more light on what is happening with her. Wishing you both well xxx

PoshPuss
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Back from the vets. Yes, it is confirmed she has detached retinas, no sight in her right eye and maybe partial sight in her left. Our vet seems to think she has high blood pressure and this caused the detachment. Posh has had a blood pressure tablet this evening, needs further tests and bloods tomorrow at the main surgery/hospital. My poor babe is still a bit confused and is starting to walk around the house now, feeling her way.

I think I'm more upset at seeing her this way, she looks so cute with the big eyes- like the appealing way of cartoon cats- but I wish she was able to understand that it will be ok. :(

Kim
10-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Poor girl, good luck with the tests. I can understand how upsetting this is, but cats adapt remarkably well x

Shelley123
10-09-2013, 06:48 PM
sorry to read this PP.
Posh will adapt in time once she has learned the layout of the house, i'm not trivialising it though, you must feel dreadful x

Elaine
10-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Very sorry to hear this, she will adjust given time bless her xxx

Moli
10-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Poor baby, sure she will adjust to it all..Big Hug from me...

alexgirl73
10-09-2013, 08:22 PM
What a frightening experience for you both :( I'm sure she'll adapt very quickly xx

angieh
10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
((((HUGS)))) to you both PP and Posh. Let's hope the pills help her. Strong comforting vibes being sent from us and I'll ask Kizzy to have a word with The Great Cat.

PoshPuss
10-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and Posh sends you big purrs and wet nose kisses :)
She's been mooching about the living room and now settled on the arm of the sofa as normal. No food until after her tests now so she is not pleased with me, :roll:

yola
10-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Nette, you must be beside yourself with worry and guilt, as I was over not registering Fi's high blood pressure til very late on. The good thing is you have identified the issue and acted quickly also, you are there to help Posh through the re-learning of her environment and monitor her very carefully moving forward.

I send you a virtual hug my friend; I wish I were close by to give you and dear Posh a real hug.

Velvet
11-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Poor wee girl, hope she feels better soon

pamela81
11-09-2013, 06:53 AM
poor girl, hugs to both of you xx

Kazz
11-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Missed your update last night as I went to work your suspicions were right then rather worrying but you can take action to limit the hinderance she may find.

I am sure between the two of you will soon suss it. As has been said "hugs"

PoshPuss
11-09-2013, 03:34 PM
News from the vets. She's maintaining a mildly raised BP, so she's now on amlodipine (same as me!) Bloods taken for kidney liver and thyroid function, and glucose levels. She seemed anaemic too so that will be dealt with later. I have to return on Friday for results. She's very quiet since coming home, has had some cat milk but not eaten anything, she's walking around and learning to deal with her lack of vision. Hard to watch it when she bumps into things though, makes me wince! :?

Shelley123
11-09-2013, 07:19 PM
thanks for the update, i hope Posh gets sorted very soon on her treatment and that she adapts quickly

angieh
11-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Bless her ......... she needs that comforting lick from The Great Cat, I expect she's having to adjust again after having been at the vet. Bless her. Big hugs to you too PP, must be hard watching her.

yola
11-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Poor baby :(

My sympathies also with you ... must be very hard to watch :(

PoshPuss
12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi all, I feel shattered this morning, I think the shock of it all has started to get to me and I'm feeling really upset :cry:

Posh is just not herself, she is refusing food and even her milk this morning, has wee'd twice missing the tray both times and spending her time curled up sleeping. She's very quiet, listless and feels cold to the touch. I really feel like she's fading away, I can't bear it and I feel so guilty. :( I am keeping her by my side and just stroking her.

Love her so much it hurts.

angieh
12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I bet she's suffering from shock apart from anything else. Could you try comforting her with a Feliway spray or giving her some Rescue Remedy? You could probably do with some Rescue Remedy yourself too. Anything really to help her relax and let her medication work. Thinking of you both and sending all the comforting vibes we can.

acatcalleddog
15-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I agree with the above. It's sad if your cat has lost all or some of her sight, but she can and will adjust.

Sight is more important to us than to cats - with a sense of smell, her whiskers and a familiar layout of a home, you cat will be perfectly happy and adjust.

Cats tend to be far better than people at immediately adjusting to new situations like this, though of course it's sad. But your cat is still alive and will have a good quality of life - and lots of love, I am sure - from you, so will be perfectly happy in her future life, despite eye problems.

farthing
16-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Has she been tested for diabetes, this can cause raised blood pressure too and retinal detachment.
Mustard, our cat with toxoplasmosis went blind but he adapted very quickly. I think once you diagnose the cause and treat it, being blind will not be much of an issue.

farthing
16-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I am so sorry, Elaine has just pmed me. I am very sorry for your loss.

PoshPuss
16-09-2013, 09:24 PM
That's ok, it was all so sudden, and the blindness really did distress her. It was as if it was the final straw. :(

acatcalleddog
20-09-2013, 08:22 AM
That's ok, it was all so sudden, and the blindness really did distress her. It was as if it was the final straw. :(

Sorry to hear that. But often these things are for the best, especially if the end didn't drag on for months causing Posh paid and suffering.

I am sure Posh had a wonderful life with you!