PDA

View Full Version : Kizzy is limping a bit

angieh
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I noticed a couple of days ago that it seemed as if Kizzy was limping a bit, but she was coming up our gravel driveway and the cats both tend to take that easily, but this morning as she walked into the kitchen I was sure she was limping. OH confirmed and thought it was a hind nearside leg. Later this morning, Kizzy was lounging on the nice warm bonnet of OH's car and so was relaxed and let me examine her leg and the rest of her as I made a bit of a game of it. My anatomy is not all that good, but it seems there is a bit of a swelling on the hind part of her leg above her paw. She let me massage the area and showed no indication of pain, it just feels more "spongy" than the same area on the other leg.

Given that Kizzy gets very stressed on car journeys to the vet (although she's OK at the surgery) I wonder what you think about how long I ought to give her leg before thinking about a vet visit? Obviously I will keep an eye on her and if I have any concern that she's in pain or the swelling gets worse I will take her.

yola
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Perhaps give the vet a call to discuss it initially? However, my philosophy with these things is better safe than sorry . . .

angieh
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
I've just checked in my cat book and it is around the metatarsal area below the hock.

Thanks Yola. I may wait until Monday ........ our vet has their own emergency service over the w/end, but this is certainly not an emergency atm.

Kazz
02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Maybe she has been stung or bitten......I think I would make a journey Monday.
Sending a couple of gentle pats.

pamela81
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Hope she is ok Angie x

angieh
02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Maybe she has been stung or bitten......I think I would make a journey Monday.
Sending a couple of gentle pats.

Thanks Kazz - I've had a really good look, the mild swelling is general, there are no indications of puncture or sting. The joints are mobile.

angieh
02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Hope she is ok Angie x

Thanks Pamela. We all get a bit of a worrywort where our furry darlings are concerned.

Shelley123
03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
hope Kizzy is ok, Angie

angieh
03-08-2013, 01:28 PM
hope Kizzy is ok, Angie

Thanks Shelley. As I said in the Daily thread, Kizzy's leg seems less swollen this morning, she is acting fine and jumping on/off things as normal. I know cats are very good at hiding pain but I am sure that she would have let me know if I was hurting her this morning as I was touching her leg and giving a bit of a probe. I am going to phone the vet on Monday I think just in case it is a symptom of something else.

Velvet
04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Hope she is ok, glad the swelling isnt so prominent today x

Shelley123
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
its a good sign that the swelling is reducing, perhaps by tomorrow it will be gone.

Kazz
04-08-2013, 11:16 PM
By tomorrow you will be wondering what you were worrying about....they do it to you. Well actually we do it to ourselves..........SOFT

angieh
08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
I noticed Kizzy's limp seemed worse this morning so it was a quick trip to the vet. Nice young lady vet, very sympatico and gave Kizzy a very thorough examination - well as much as can be, given that Kizzy wasn't going to keep still for her. The vet did carefully examine her paws and could find nothing in between the pads, no seeds, or evidence of bites/stings. She said the joints seemed fine and actually could find no swelling. She did say that she could see something in the way Kizzy walked, although the evident limping I'd seen earlier was missing (little minx!). Kizzy was as usual a darling, and was as good as she could be.

So I'm afraid we have the dreaded Metacam for a week and if there is no improvement Kizzy will have to have a more thorough examination under anaesthetic.

She is home, has had her first medication and is now asleep in the cat room. The vet advised we keep her in and resting as much as possible. I am not going to try to keep her in though because when she is outside, she rests anyway, either in the sun or on OH's car bonnet or under a bush, so IMO that's as broad as it's long and won't stress her unduly. When she's indoors, she's in the cat room and asleep so that's doing her good.

Please send calming, healing vibes for my darling girl.

PoshPuss
08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Poor Kizzy, warm Welsh cwtches coming from her aunty here, as I mentioned about Metacam, Posh had a sprain from an awkward fall and was on metacam for a week; she took it well and it did the job for her. Hope Kizzy is as lucky.

Kazz
08-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Hmmm I wonder what it is and if she is not in discomfort if it is worth pursuing it further?

pamela81
08-08-2013, 06:01 PM
poor kizzy , hope shes ok xx healing thoughts rrom us xx

pinklizzy
08-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Poor Kizzy, fingers crossed it is just a soft tissue injury and the anti inflammatories do their job x

angieh
08-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Hmmm I wonder what it is and if she is not in discomfort if it is worth pursuing it further?

She was limping so markedly this morning Kazz, I reached straight for the phone. Couldn't actually believe that once at the vet she walked almost normally. Anyway, we have a week hopefully for whatever is amiss, a pulled muscle maybe to recover and the medication would be the same.

We all know how well cats can mask pain.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes, I will pass on to Madam :D

Velvet
08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Hope shes ok & meds settle whatever it is x

Kazz
09-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Maybe video her when limping if possible give the vet an idea.

angieh
12-08-2013, 09:32 AM
No need for that video as Kizzy seems to be back to normal. No more limping spotted and she's jumping up and down like normal. So glad for my beautiful girl.

I promise a photo soon ..........

Kazz
12-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Pleased to hear it maybe she turn an ankle on a pebble or piece of grave got caught between her toes....and caused an "owie"