PDA

View Full Version : Stag Bar info for Doggie peeps

Shelley123
13-06-2013, 06:44 PM
http://www.dentalvets.co.uk/news.html

angieh
13-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks for posting that disturbing link Shelley. My two like their stag bars and I will seriously have to think about whether I still let them chew on the horns. I wonder if there is any comparable data on dental damage caused by gnawing on "ordinary" bones. I'll have to see if I can find anything.

Velvet
14-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Ours don like them, total waste of money :(

alexgirl73
14-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Ranger has a go at his for a bit, loses interest for a couple of months and then enjoys it for a few days.

Tbh, these type of stories I don't really take notice of. According to all these people we shouldn't raw feed, feed bones, feed chicken, throw sticks, run with them, leave collars on.....and the list goes on :lol:

Shelley123
14-06-2013, 06:05 PM
we don't give our two bones, the breeder advised us against it when we got Malaika.Prior to this our other dogs did have bones. I must admit i have looked at stag bars and been tempted as i know the dogs would no doubt love them, however i have resisted as i am concerned about tooth fractures.
Our two poor hounds only get nylon bones,lol and i try to keep their teeth clean with daily plaque off and a quick swipe around their teeth with a lintbelle finger thingy.

angieh
14-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Dora as I've said before is a determined chewer and loves her bones and stag bar. She does attack with gusto and I have wondered before now whether she would break a tooth. So far, she's OK. Monty, when he can get hold of a bone from Dora's attention is far gentler and gnaws rather than chomping down. I don't think he runs risk but of course he can't have anything without Dora stealing it from him.

Shelley123
14-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Angie, i think i have read on a stagbar label that it's ok for the dog to nibble but to remove if the dog bears down on it.