PDA

View Full Version : Tuppence

Shelley123
13-06-2013, 10:49 AM
We had to take Tuppence to the vet yesterday as she has a red lump protruding from her bottom.
She was a very good girl despite the vet having quite a root around. He has diagnosed a rectal polyp that has been pushed out. As it isn't bothering her and because of her advanced years he has given her an anti immflamatory injection to see if it will shrink. If not the hope is that it will eventualy drop off by itself.
She is eating, drinking and pooing fine so fingers crossed. I am giving her a furball remedy to keep her poo soft as well.

PoshPuss
13-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh poor Tuppence, so undignified my dear! :( But you were a good girl. x

Shelley, seems she is coping ok, and the polyp may very well shrivel up and go on its own, good that you spotted it!
If like most cats Tuppence is very particular about cleaning her bottom it shouldn't cause any problems :)
Hugs for her.

angieh
13-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Poor wee girl, how undignified for her. I do so hope that it does shrivel and go on its own. Lucky it's not a haemorrhoid.

Shelley123
13-06-2013, 06:41 PM
thank you ladies, we have to keep an eye on it in case it ulcerates BUT IT'S NOT GOING TO !

pamela81
13-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear about tuppence. Such a good girl letting the vet check her. Hope she is ok

Velvet
14-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Awk poor wee girl that sounds uncomfortable for her. Hope she feels better soon x

Shelley123
14-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Fortunately Helen, she doesn't seem bothered by it at all and of course she doesn't care what it looks like.

angieh
14-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Is it getting smaller, or is it too early to tell?

Shelley123
14-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Is it getting smaller, or is it too early to tell?

not sure how long before the injection works Angie ? It does look a tiny bit smaller and maybe a paler colour. However we have to accept that it may not shrink at all, as long as it doesn't ulcerate i think we are ok.

Shelley123
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
here is an update on Tuppence.
She had been doing reasonably ok, but since the hot weather started she hasn't been eating great amounts. The polyp or whatever it is has grown significantly,it got inflamed and is the size of a marble. We took her to the vets yesterday and he has given her a very strong dose of steroid and AB's, we are to take her back on tuesday to see if it has reduced in size. He thinks she isn't eating properly because she has some infection over some of her teeth. It is just a matter of waiting to see how things pan out. She is enjoying going out in the garden and spends long periods of time out there. I am tempting her to eat with small frequent amounts. We should have been going away today so we are all feeling a bit down at the moment. We are hoping for a miracle.

angieh
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh Shelley, I am so sorry to hear the concerns over Tuppence's health have stopped you going away but you wouldn't feel comfortable going with worrying about her, I know. Fingers well and truly crossed for that miracle.

Kazz
04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
here is an update on Tuppence.
She had been doing reasonably ok, but since the hot weather started she hasn't been eating great amounts. The polyp or whatever it is has grown significantly,it got inflamed and is the size of a marble. We took her to the vets yesterday and he has given her a very strong dose of steroid and AB's, we are to take her back on tuesday to see if it has reduced in size. He thinks she isn't eating properly because she has some infection over some of her teeth. It is just a matter of waiting to see how things pan out. She is enjoying going out in the garden and spends long periods of time out there. I am tempting her to eat with small frequent amounts. We should have been going away today so we are all feeling a bit down at the moment. We are hoping for a miracle.

I will try to arrange a miracle. Finger and paws crossed this end.........

Velvet
04-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Distant healing sent from us x

tilly
05-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Sending healing thought and a hug to you and Tuppence fingers crosssed she get better and that the hot weather cools down a bit soon.

Sally

pamela81
05-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Sending lots of healing vibes and chin tickles from all of us in my wee family xx

Shelley123
07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
thank you for all you'r healing vibes, prayers, crossed fingers, good wishes.
Although the polyp is still the same size, she has been eating better and i feel she has put some weight back on.
we took her back to the vets yesterday and he feels optimistic about her. He says the surface of the polyp is less angry and is possibly drying out. Because she is still enjoying life he wants to give her a chance.He gave her a repeat injection and wants to see her on saturday.
We are going to Scotland today and leaving her in the care of our neighbour, who has a list of instructions as long as her arm. She is taking tup to her appointment. Howard will be back on the 19th and will take her to her next appointment as we think the vet wants to continue the treatment for now.
Please keep her in your thoughts

angieh
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
All sorts of healing vibes being sent for Tuppence, Shelley. Perhaps as the weather has cooled down a bit it suits her better? I know most cats don't eat much when it's really hot.

Have a safe journey to Scotland.

Shelley123
08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Thank you Angie x

Shelley123
12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Had two updates whilst we have been in Scotland.on sat the Vet was concerned that the

Shelley123
12-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Had two updates whilst we have been on hol.on sat Vet concerned ad lump not shrunk,he thinks it may be the injections making her look ok?mo WHO is caring for her had rung today to say she is ok in herself,crying for food and going to the loo.i hope she is enjoying having the Run of the house and garden,dog Free.Howard will take her for her next appountment a week today.

angieh
12-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Fingers crossed and healing vibes for Tuppence, Shelley.

Shelley123
13-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Thank you Angie

Kazz
13-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Well that sounds positive doesn't it..........eating hungry and going the loo.......

Shelley123
13-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes,still hoping for a miracle Karen

Shelley123
19-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Howard took Tuppence for her appointment this evening.Everything remains the same.He feels further in investigation would be inappropriate because of her age.He has given her another injection and will see her again in approx a month,providing she remains ok and continues to have quality of life.The money doesnt matter but it is very kind of our vet to only charge us 26 pounds for four consultations plus treatment.

angieh
19-08-2013, 07:49 PM
What a brilliant vet, Shelley .... glad to hear that things are just going to be monitored. Quality of life as you rightly say, is what matters.

Shelley123
20-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks Angie

Kazz
20-08-2013, 02:41 PM
That is brilliant news stability is a wonderful thing at Tuppences age and health. Glad all is well.

Shelley123
21-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks Karen

pamela81
21-08-2013, 07:00 PM
sounds like a good vet you have shelley. Glad tuppence is stable x

Shelley123
23-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Pamela

Shelley123
06-09-2013, 09:31 PM
latest update, not good realy but Tuppence is still with us.
Returned from holidays last sunday, tuppence ok but lump has grown. we watched her carefuly all week, it's not easy for her to go to the toilet but she is managing, the lump is breaking down and a bit smelly, Every morning she is by her food dish crying for food, she's eating less so i'm offering small amounts. On the examination table she was so alert and interested in her surroundings that the vet feels she is not yet unhappy with life. He did say he could operate but feels she is likely to die under anaesthetic. He said he would pts if we wanted or we can leave things as they are. Howard asked what he would do and he suggested leaving things as they are for now. She is on ab's and we will just have to take each day as it comes.
Yesterday Howard took her to the vets and we both believed that it was the end. Despite the lump

Kazz
07-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Oh Shelley its hard isn't it when its not cut and dried....I suppose the benchmark is well to me it is are the good hours outweighing the not so good hours by a good margin or is the gap narrowing.

I am thinking of all of you.

pamela81
07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Aww Shelley. Sorry to hear the update. Thoughts are with you xx

PoshPuss
07-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Sorry to hear that Tuppence has taken a down turn :( I'm sure that you will ensure her quality of life and be there to the end. Thinking of you x

angieh
07-09-2013, 09:41 AM
((((HUGS)))) Shelley, I know how hard it is, but you WILL know when the time is right. Sending comforting vibes to you all and Tuppence.

Shelley123
07-09-2013, 06:13 PM
thank you for you're kindness, it does help.
Tuppy is ok today, taking her ab's in a dollop of hairball mix which she loves, it also helps her to go.
This morning as usual she was waiting by the food dish and ate a small amount. She has just eaten some more, including some of Malaika's sardines,lol.
The nasty smell seems to have gone.

Kazz
07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
thank you for you're kindness, it does help.
Tuppy is ok today, taking her ab's in a dollop of hairball mix which she loves, it also helps her to go.
This morning as usual she was waiting by the food dish and ate a small amount. She has just eaten some more, including some of Malaika's sardines,lol.
The nasty smell seems to have gone.

That's good then that the smell has gone
the antibiotics are working then. And sardines are always a nice top up for feline illness.:-D Go Go Tuppence......

yola
10-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Shelley, what a dreadful time for you all. I hope Tuppence can spend a little more quality time with you xx

Shelley123
10-09-2013, 06:58 PM
thanks Yola and Karen.
Have rung the vets to see if Tuppence can have more ab's, i know its not usualy a good idea but they do seem to have helped her general demeaner and stopped the smell. She's eating a bit better and generaly seems a bit more lively. The nurse has said she sees no problem with us haveing some ab's in and useing when we need to.

angieh
10-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Glad the infection has cleared, she must feel better just for that. She's a lucky girl to have you caring for her.