01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
of another dog.....

http://www.scottishmunsters.co.uk/

Moli
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Gorgeous, go for it Lainey..........

pamela81
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
aww they look lovely, i agree, you should go for it :)

Kazz
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I will have to have a read up on them.......

yola
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
What attractive dogs! But quite large. Are you planning to build an extension for G in order to make space for additional pets?

angieh
02-05-2013, 12:40 PM
What a very aristocratic looking dog, magnificent. Don't know anything about them ........... what attracts you to the breed particularly?

PoshPuss
02-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Never heard of them but they look fab Elaine :)
I'm with Yola, where does G go to escape ? :lol:

alexgirl73
02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
oh they are stunning!

Kazz
02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Okay had a brief read and they look and sound gorgeous but can I ask how and why are you drawn to them...........they are not your average bear.........(as Yogi would say)

Elaine
02-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Apart from the look etc, would kinda like another dog for doing agility as well as a play pal for Rayne. She runs better with bigger dogs.
The space thing is an issue but then G could always move out lol.

Velvet
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Theyre lovely dogs, used to know someone with them, he showed his. They are a high energy breed.

Kazz
03-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Do you know of any - have you meet any Elaine? and how far in the future are we thinking???
I assume a dog rather than a bitch but not sure. That's the terrier owner in me talking. ;)

Kazz
03-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Have you read the breed Characteristics??? Only jesting they sound brilliant Elaine.
I cannot quite figure out what sort of size are they? Labrador? bigger smaller?
The Large Munsterlander is a dual purpose HPR Gundog. They have always been bred to work and their hunting instincts are very much at the surface. A magnificent dog out in the field which is equally at home curled up on the couch, even if they a plastered in mud. A sociable dog which loves human company, they are not a breed you have and then go out to work all day, every day.
Highly intelligent, rather exuberant and very loving, they will greet you with great enthusiasm every time you leave them. They are energetic and a quick walk up the road will not satisfy their needs, they need free running exercise on a daily basis, their intelligence makes them a great all round dog, there isn’t an activity they cannot do and they will do whatever you ask of them very well, from Field trial dogs to Pets as Therapy dogs, so long as it’s doing something with you they are happy. Not for the faint hearted as whatever you ask of them they give 100% of themselves.
They love all members of the family, but they will always bond that little bit more with one member of the family; they worship their owner with all their might!
A strong breed, they were bred in Germany to track a deer, and then bring it to the owner over whatever obstacles they may encounter, in the UK they are widely used as working Gundogs and excel in rough cover.
One last thing, Large Munsterlanders love Mud, water and you! Don’t expect to come home clean after a ramble with a Large Munsterlander!

angieh
03-05-2013, 09:12 AM
From that description, there is huge potential ..... from agility to search and rescue. With Elaine's high activity with other dogs, I don't think the exercise would be an issue. The mud might ................... ???

Kazz
03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
To me they actually sound like a canine version of Elaine LOL

Elaine
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Hahahahaha

I know one, only met it a few times but he's quite canny really.
I'd go for a dog not a bitch, yes Kazz I get the terrier owner comment lol.
They are taller than a lab', more sort of setter or retreiver sized.
I dont care about being covered in mud, rayne likes smelly bogs and the smellier the better lol.
Time wise, probably not this side of summer, possibly even early next year. Need G to get back on his feet properly first.
I think it would help Rayne with her separation issues, then again I may well end up with 2 who have separation issues....
Alot to consider before I jump in but jump in I will at some point.

Kim
03-05-2013, 09:31 PM
If it's what you want then go for it!! Lovely dogs, high energy breed though I think, but perhaps they would suit your lifestyle. There is a breed for all of us; me, I prefer the lazy, docile greyhound - not sure what that says about me though!! lol

angieh
04-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Is there such a thing as a small Munsterlander???

Kazz
04-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Is there such a thing as a small Munsterlander???
Now that's a darn good question. I have to say though havig read the breed description/character a bit they look to be although a little high eactivity a very nice all round stable dog. I think one would mix in with your life well Elaine

An how about the name Sunny/Sonny which would fit well with Rayne.;)

I have to say I meet a Boxer pup this morning outside Sainsburys and he was lovely.

Elaine
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes there are small munsterlanders too. Each developed from different breeding stock but both from the same area of Germany, hence Munster.