PDA

View Full Version : Sardines

mari
12-03-2013, 12:26 AM
We have a large male tabby who is a rescue cat so we don't know about his diet prior to 3yrs old. He is now seven and healthy. I feed him good dry food but he won't eat any of the wet foods. The ones I have seen mentioned on here are not available in Aus or not anywhere that I have seen them. He will eat a little fresh chicken or fish, but only sometimes. The other day I opened a tin of sardines in tom sauce and foolishly left them on the bench for a couple of minutes and came back to find the naughty boy tucking in as if he had never been fed. Also he ate and seemed to enjoy some cottage cheese that I had put down for the dogs. My question is...can he eat both of these things and if so how much and how often. My concern really was the tomato sauce but that was what he seemed to enjoy most and licked it off before he started on the fish.

Elaine
12-03-2013, 08:57 AM
The sardines are fine as a treat now and again, I dont know about Aus but over here you can get sardines in spring water from one supermarket, which would be a bit better than in tomatoe sauce because of the salt content.
Most people tend to stay away from feeding cats dairy products because many cats are lactose intolerant, that said, I have had cats who quite liked a little milk now and again without any toilet issues after, but again I wouldnt give it to them too often.

mari
12-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Thank you for your prompt reply. Will not give him the cheese and he does only get water to drink. Going shopping tomorrow and will see if I can get the sardines in springwater.

JMPARK
12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
With the Sardines, wouldn't the bones be an issue?

paulinef2
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
The bones in the sardines are pretty soft, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem :)

Elaine
12-03-2013, 07:57 PM
As Pauline said, the bones are soft and I have been giving sardines as a treat for years with no issue.

mari
13-03-2013, 03:34 AM
I got the sardines in spring water this morning so remains to be seen if he liked the fish or the tomato sauce. Is there any restriction on how many times in a week he could have them.

Velvet
13-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Sardine bones are hairlike & cooking makes their softer again. Our cats & dogs love sardines, tuna, pilchards etc very tasty treat. :)

JMPARK
13-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Never thought of giving Joy and Beau Sardines for a treat. How many would you give them for a single meal and would you cook them first?

Velvet
13-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Never thought of giving Joy and Beau Sardines for a treat. How many would you give them for a single meal and would you cook them first?

Easier to buy a tin of sardines :). Theres only 2/3 in a tin so i would just either give as a treat or mix i to existing food. If in oil, i drain off excess oil, run hot water in tin, agotate & drain off then use as above. Same with tuna :)

mari
14-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Easier to buy a tin of sardines :). Theres only 2/3 in a tin so i would just either give as a treat or mix i to existing food. If in oil, i drain off excess oil, run hot water in tin, agotate & drain off then use as above. Same with tuna :)

I bought the ones in spring water. Gave him one last night and he ate it but with less enthusiasm than the first time. Can only assume he really liked the tomato sauce best. He did eat it though so will stick to those. Thanks for your help...think I worry more about these pets than I used to my children.

JMPARK
14-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks Velvet. I have given them the white fish ordTuna before, but not anything like Sardines or Pilchards. Have always been afraid of the bones in them.
Probs a bit over protective, but that's me ime afraid. Will try them soon because they deserve something a bit more special now and again!!