PDA

View Full Version : Age for Spay???

angieh
22-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Hi all - we have just got our adoption papers through for Dora and it states that she should be spayed three months after her first season.

I am committed of course to having her spayed, but the timing is what is making me ask you. When we took Dora to register with our vet just after Christmas it seems that new veterinary practice advocates spaying at around 6 months of age, before the first season. The vet said that the operation is quicker, easier and the bitch recovers quicker as there is little development in the uterus.

I know with a dog, it is advised to leave neutering until physical development is near completion at around 12 -18 months. Would the same not apply to bitches? (Quite apart from the risk of pregnancy of course).

I have asked this question of the lurcher forum that I am on and the general opinion is that they base their requirement of spaying three months after the bitch's first season on sound reasoning, one to do with increased possibility of genital infections if spaying is done earlier and the possibility of increased bone cancers in larger dogs if spayed earlier.

I wonder if any of you have any knowledge or advise and ask for your thoughts?

Moli
22-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Maggie had her first season at 10 months and was spayed 3 months later.....Spaying before the season can cause incontienence...as well as other things..

Elaine
22-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Rayne was spayed at 14 months, she didnt have a season. On being spayed there was a slight abnormality to her womb which may or may not have had something to do with her not having a season.
That said, I would have prefered for her to have had atleast one season before spaying. My personal view and from what I have read, spaying prior to the first season can increase the chances of bone cancer and incontinence.

Shelley123
22-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Both our breeders said over one year. Vets will generaly say 6 months.

Velvet
22-01-2013, 11:38 PM
All ours are done before seasons and never had any problems health or otherwise

Kazz
26-01-2013, 11:06 AM
My personal view is after the first season.....

angieh
26-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your comments. It seems that we do not actually have a choice with Dora and she will be spayed around 3 months after her first season, as a requirement of adoption. I had always accepted that this was the best time to spay in bitches' interests but then the vet said 6 months and that got me thinking. We await the first season with a bit of trepidation .....................

Velvet
27-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Is Monty neutered?

Kazz
27-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Is Monty neutered?
Very good question and if not I would book and go on holiday and leave your hubby too it.......:-D

angieh
27-01-2013, 09:55 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, Monty was done about a year ago. We are at least safe on that front!

calismum
27-01-2013, 11:35 AM
My vet has always advocated 6 months. I've been with them for 20+ years. However, on discussion with breeders, friends and a bit of research I have always opted to wait until 3m after 1st season. Had a few discussions with my vet on this and he does go down the line of less serious op etc. However also admits the heightened incontinence risk. I have two friends with incontinent bitches one done at 7 months one done after a pyometra at 2 years. I fully intend to wait with Bess so feel another long 'discussion' with vet coming up :)

Velvet
27-01-2013, 12:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, Monty was done about a year ago. We are at least safe on that front!

Thats good news x

farthing
05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Many vets now advocate spaying before the first season, partially because it is a much easier op but mainly because it massively reduces the risk of mammary cancer, even compared to dogs spayed after their first season.