PDA

View Full Version : Skinny cat?

Tanya
06-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Hello.

I haven't been on the forum for ages because I have been busy with our 10 week old baby!

However, over the last few weeks we have noticed that Oliver appears to be losing more and more weight each week. He is eating what he has always been given and we have been giving him extra treats too. He is drinking lots of water, like he always has.

Oliver is 7 in July, so not really an old cat. He is an indoor cat and has not been vaccinated since he was two years old because he had an allergic reaction to the vaccination. He lives with two other cats (who are vaccinated annually), a dog and five rabbits.

Oliver does not seem quiet and he is still cuddly. I am going to book him an appointment at the vets this week but in the meantime I thought I would see if anybody had any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tanya

angieh
06-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Tanya .......... when was he last wormed? You say he's an indoor cat, but they can still pick up things. I am glad you are taking him to the vet and wish you good luck. Do let us know how things go.

Tanya
06-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeh, he's wormed every three/four months (wormed in December). I'll post back after the appointment, which is Tuesday.

Tanya
14-01-2013, 12:33 PM
UPDATE....

Oli had a wee sample and blood test done. The urine didn't show anything bad and the blood appeared fine, except for 'enzymes'. They were slightly raised but the vet said not enough to cause concern.

Oli has to go back for another blood test and urine sample in 6 weeks. The vets will then see if anything has changed.

angieh
14-01-2013, 01:28 PM
That doesn't sound too bad Tanya. Did the vet have any advise re Oli's weight loss or what you could do about helping him put some back on?

Shelley123
14-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Glad the appointment went ok and that nothing bad showed up. Here's hoping Olive stops loseing weight soon

Elaine
14-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Have you always had Oliver? Has he ever been an outdoor cat? Which enzymes were elivated?

Tanya
14-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Oliver has always been an indoor cat .... I joined Catsey when he was a kitten, nearly 7 years ago !!

I don't think the vet said which particular enzyme but he did say Oli's was only 26 over and for a problem you would expect it to be hundreds.

Velvet
15-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Could his food have changed? Sometimes manufacturers change their recipes./ingredients and what previously suited pets, no longer suits, just a thought especially if the vet is not concerned

Tanya
18-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks Velvet, but no, his food hasn't changed. They did change the flavour about a year ago and that didn't bother him. He is on a Sensitivity Prescription (Royal Canin) diet because he gets ill with other food.