PDA

View Full Version : Need to change cat food?

freckles
14-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Hi All

Looking for you guy's opinion's. I feed all my 4x cats on RC. The reason for my post is that Im finding RC a struggle to buy & even though its a great food & they love it, due to cost I need to change them but I don't want to give them rubbish. I feel so mean having to change them, but have found a dry food (own brand) from the place I get my pet foods from. I have looked at their leaflet & wondered if I typed the ingredients out then perhaps I can get your advice on it as a possible food to go onto?

Kitten Food - crude protein 33%, crude oils & fats 20%, crude fibres 2%, crude ash 6%.

Many thanks

Shelley123
14-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi,
it's a tricky one feeding our pets. Years ago most people fed them on whatever was on offer at the shop.Now that we have more knowledge it gets harder but of course is much better for the pets.
For me i would be looking for a high percentage named protein source and not a lot of cereal or artificial additives.
Could you maybe buy in bulk from the internet to keep costs down ?
You could try doing a search fro pet food reviews.
Personaly i would be wary about feeding an all dry diet, i know foods have improved now but i would still be bothered about their kidneys.

paulinef2
14-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi Freckles I checked the packaging on the James wellbeloved I feed my two and it looks around the same as that. Lester used to get RC when he was little but I swapped him, partly due to cost but also he didn't seem to enjoy it as much his food now. Good luck it's a total minefield :)

JMPARK
14-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I feed mine "Hi Life" wet food and "More" dry food, both are "complete" food and 80% meat!!

Kay
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I have never heard of the more variety so was intrigued especially with such a high meat content. I am going to google it to find out more. Thanks.

Kay
01-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I had a look at the meat content of the More dry foods and nowhere does it mention anything about being 80% meat. It only mentions a minimum of 24% on all of their flavours. I also checked out the Hi-life website and the highest meat content was on their Tuna varities and that was 60%.

Velvet
02-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Pet food is a minefield - we feed wet and dry although they get 3/4 dry. Because of the youngest having diarrhea we are doing a 6 week trial on RC Sensitivity dry. Everyone is on it as its easier to feed them all the same. The dogs are also on a Veterinary diet (Hills) so yes cost wise it can be pricey

The one thing I will say is our eldest dog wont tolerate dry food so she gets tinned K/D and despite all the frowning from vets, she does as well as she could do on it, when she can tolerate it at all:(

All you can do is try the food you are thinking of over a period of 6-8 weeks and see how they do. Remember to change over slowly over days from one food to another to avoid upset tummies