PDA

View Full Version : dandruff

pamela81
11-11-2012, 11:52 PM
We have just noticed that Harris seems to have dandruff near his tail on his back. Does anyone know how cats get dandruff and how we can help clear it as its only just appeared?

angieh
12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi Pamela - have a look at cat-world (an Aussie site) which seems straight forward. Have you been having your heating on lately? It could be something as simple as that. I'd try putting something like a little bit of fish oil in his food if he'll eat it.

pamela81
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
ahh we have had the heaters on due to the drop in temp. I will have a look at the site angie thanks :)

Elaine
12-11-2012, 05:17 PM
As the colder nights come in, cats tend to lie by the central heating, radiators etc more which dries out their coats. Quite often over weight cats can be more prone as they cannt get round to clean themselves properly. Poor health is another reason they often get dandruff.

pamela81
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Ahh Elaine!! He has been laying up on our storage heater in the livingroom!! That may explain it. He does enjoy his warmth/comfort!! I checked him before I left for work and the area seemed clear but he hadn't been on the heater by that time.

angieh
21-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi Pamela - I was wondering if you'd managed to get on top of Harris' dandruff problem without switching off your heating?!!!

I came across this product whilst browsing ..........

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumega-cat

pamela81
23-11-2012, 10:43 PM
He still has it but not consistently as there are days when it looks clear but it doesn't seem to bother him. Thanks for the link :-)