PDA

View Full Version : Gardia

Velvet
23-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Has anyone any experience of a cat/kitten with Gardia?

JMPARK
23-10-2012, 09:28 AM
No thank goodness!! Found this on " Google ". http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Health/Digestive/Giardia/Treatment.aspx
It looks a nasty thing for humans or cats to have.

Elaine
23-10-2012, 03:21 PM
No but you might find these links of some use.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=19315&highlight=gardia

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=17360&highlight=gardia

Velvet
24-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for links folks, have read them all plus few more :)

Since we got Jac he has had diarrhea or very loose & not responded to treatment. Cet now has him on RC Sensitivity & is treating him for Giardia :(. If this doesnt work next stage will be a stool sample off to the Labs. Vets using Panacur to treat possible Giardia. Its given poor wee soul very bad diarrhea. Dont know if hes reacting to the Panacur or the vets giving him a hefty dose to try & expel the Giardia if he has it.

When we were at vets yesterday he said Jac was skinny under his profuse coat & his intestines were very thickened :(

JMPARK
24-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Hope Jac gets's sorted soon. My two have had their troubles latley and it's not nice. Try to keep cheerrful, as Jac will sense you being "down". Joy did when she was ill. Plenty of loving and "get well" vibes from Joy and Beau!!

angieh
24-10-2012, 10:01 AM
So sorry to hear this Velvet. Loads of comforting purrrrrs from Kizzy and Pip and get well vibes aplenty from me.

alexgirl73
24-10-2012, 12:54 PM
We never did find out if Teddie had giardia or IBS, or allergies tbh. But knowing how stressful it is when you have a cat who has such a problem I'm sending major sympathies :( For Teddies first year she basically lived in the kitchen as it was the only room with a wipe clean floor. She leaked when she walked anywhere, had explosive runs and it was a horrendous time for us all. Thankfully we reached the other side, but it was a long hard slog. Please use this place as somewhere to rant and cry when needed. Believe me, it does help xx

Kazz
24-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Never experienced it hope you get it resolved though.

Velvet
24-10-2012, 07:56 PM
We havent had any movement at all from last night! He is very lively, more so than ive ever seen him & has a great appetite today. Slightly concerned about the lack of stools :/

Velvet
25-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Well movement came at 5am & disappointedly it was just like water :(

JMPARK
26-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I would put Jac back on steamed white plain fish and steamed chicken for a while until stools become hard again. Beau is awful like that, quite often, whether she finds something on the floor and eats it, or a very slight change in her diet she has the backside waterworks insted of the usual stool. So i put her on the boiled chicken /fish for a week , or until the stool is back to normal. Sometimes it does take upto a week , sometimes just a couple of days!! But it never fails! I did forget to mention that sometimes it Beau a couple of days on the fish/chicken diet to actually go to the toilet.

Velvet
28-10-2012, 12:24 AM
He's never been on fish or chicken, must kitten food or this RC sensitive diet. If I thought it would firm his stools up, I would certainly try it

JMPARK
29-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Any time either of my two have had problems of very wet stools,and Beau does, for any excuse, I put them both on a white plain fish. chicken diet, steamed only. It has always worked and Beau's tummy seems to be ultra sensitive. Sometimes they then won't go for a couple of days, but slowly they get back to normal stools. I then introduce whatever "food" slowly back into their diet. This method, "touch wood" has never let me down yet. And they seem to enjoy the "change" of diet as well. Just a thought Velvet, ime sure it might be worth trying.

angieh
29-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Poor little Jac ............ when Kizzy first came to us, she had digestive upset and was a very fussy eater. I found RC Digestive Comfort biscuits suited her well and she still likes them. Of course, Jac's needs are different being a kitten but just a thought. I wonder what difference there is in the two RC products though, the Sensitive and the Digestive Comfort ............. when I have time I'll do a comparison.

Velvet
30-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks Angie. Im having to feed them all on the RC Sensitive to make sure he gets nothing else. His stools are still mushy. Will have to get some chicken tomorrow when out