PDA

View Full Version : Slugs & Snails

Velvet
10-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Where we live we have got a multitude of slugs this year, snails too but the slugs are enmass, even getting into the conservatory :(. Anyone any ideas - nothing toxic as we have several stray cats that come around.

cats' staff
10-09-2012, 09:03 AM
There is a powder you can use from a company called 'Growing Success' which dries them out rather than poisoning them. It claims to be safe for use around birds and animals. You create barriers with it that they can't cross. Copper around pots works too but can be pricey.

angieh
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I've had to use Nemaslug this year but I only used it once and for complete protection I think you have to apply every 6 weeks. It introduces a parasite to the slug, rather horrid I think.

What about some strategically placed slug pubs?

Velvet
11-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I used salt last night & tonite, not nicest way to do it but was getting desperate!

Velvet
11-09-2012, 02:32 AM
I've had to use Nemaslug this year but I only used it once and for complete protection I think you have to apply every 6 weeks. It introduces a parasite to the slug, rather horrid I think.

What about some strategically placed slug pubs?

Nicer way to kill them off than salt, had thought of it but have salt in the house :)

Velvet
11-09-2012, 02:33 AM
There is a powder you can use from a company called 'Growing Success' which dries them out rather than poisoning them. It claims to be safe for use around birds and animals. You create barriers with it that they can't cross. Copper around pots works too but can be pricey.

Will look into that too.

Kazz
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Not sure about chemicals of ay sort myself as hedgehogs eat slugs. I use either salt - immediate end, beer dishes, and I also did once years ago when I lived in an old ground floor flat and found a slug in the kitchen I did put rock salt mixed with sharp sand around the outside like a slug moat it worked just sprinkled it about a foot out down to the house. But remember they can climb walls/fences too.
I use copper tape around my plant pots (hostas) and have had no promblem not sure if you could try that round the edge of the conservatory.

I have noticed an increase in slugs myself this year in fact one path round by the canal I walk with Sal you literaly have to hop skip and jump down to avoid them early in the morning. Oh yes and they seem to be massive too - uuuk

Velvet
11-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Not sure about chemicals of ay sort myself as hedgehogs eat slugs. I use either salt - immediate end, beer dishes, and I also did once years ago when I lived in an old ground floor flat and found a slug in the kitchen I did put rock salt mixed with sharp sand around the outside like a slug moat it worked just sprinkled it about a foot out down to the house. But remember they can climb walls/fences too.
I use copper tape around my plant pots (hostas) and have had no promblem not sure if you could try that round the edge of the conservatory.

I have noticed an increase in slugs myself this year in fact one path round by the canal I walk with Sal you literaly have to hop skip and jump down to avoid them early in the morning. Oh yes and they seem to be massive too - uuuk

Yes they are massively big this year and its so slimey and slippery where they have been. As bad as walking on ice!

I hadn't heard of copper tape before so nipped across to eBay and ordered some. It will be ideal to put round the plant pots in the conservatory as several times recently I have found a slug in a plant pot. I can also lay out a patch for putting the stray cats feeding dishes down. Its so hard to clean dishes after the slimey pests have left their slime all over them:evil:

lynz85
12-09-2012, 12:34 AM
yukk slugs!! i think i win tho, i once found one in my washing machine!! after id washed my clothes!! yuko! my clothes were all slimy i had to add vanish powder to get rid! i've also found one on my kitchen worktop eating a grain of rice!! they mostly come in my kitchen in between my washing machine so im afraid i also resulted in putting salt on the outside wall!

Velvet
12-09-2012, 01:33 AM
When its dry (very wet today) I'm going to put salt along the outside of the back (conservsatory) door to stop the wee pests getting in, leastways think that is where they are coming in :/

angieh
12-09-2012, 09:00 AM

If you are lucky enough to have hedgehogs in your garden Kazz, give them all the help you can. Where I live is semi-rural and although I have seen 1 hedgehog recently, we've been hog-less for a long time. Very sad.

Kazz
12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
When its dry (very wet today) I'm going to put salt along the outside of the back (conservsatory) door to stop the wee pests getting in, leastways think that is where they are coming in :/

In my old flat I found they came in through the airbrick vent as well. (It was an old convereted flat) but we solved that by putting a piece of pea netting over the vent inside did not stop the air circulating but did stop the slugs.

Elaine
12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh I can only sympathise with you over the slug thing Velvet, my worst nightmare, hate the slimers.