PDA

View Full Version : Your life in songs - have a go

Kazz
14-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Odd this but maybe a talking point you can add and change as you think of something else

Anyhow today listening to the radio in the car I sort of got to singing as you do and I thought to myself I recall this from my friends wedding and we all danced to it. Then I thought hey good idea for a thread

So my question to you all is......memorable songs that describe your life...either a song that reminds you of an incident or time of your life. Or describes you/a relationship....get the idea.

I am still thinking of mine but hope this thread gets some traffic...:-D

Shelley123
14-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Hmmmm i know just what you mean Karen but will have to have time to think. Certain songs take me right back to periods of time.
A neighbour of ours was once going to have a desert island disc party where you had to name 10 records/cd's that you would take on a desert island and say the reason why

cats' staff
14-07-2012, 09:22 PM
REM, It's the End of the World and I feel fine. Not sure if that is actually the title but I am instantly taken back to touring Hungary with a couple of American students I had spent the summer working with on a dig there. 1989, the Great Hungarian Plain full of sunflowers, us bombing around in a little hire care belting this out at the top of our lungs.
Oh to be young again!

Elaine
14-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Jesus, I've led such a full and adventurous life that there are just way too many songs :lol:

Kazz
15-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Hmmmm i know just what you mean Karen but will have to have time to think. Certain songs take me right back to periods of time.
A neighbour of ours was once going to have a desert island disc party where you had to name 10 records/cd's that you would take on a desert island and say the reason why

Go with that then 10 songs and why>

Kazz
15-07-2012, 03:35 PM
One of mine would be 1979/80 I was 16 and "in love" with a lad who loved rock music in fact he still does. Our song was "Queen - Crazy little thing called love"
Takes me right back to happy days of seemingly endless sunshine, tennis, going the pictures, and lots and lots of laughter.

Another song is always "He ain't heavy he's my brother" it was my brother Micky's 18th and my sister and I sang that to him....he hated it at the time but now raves about it. Takes me right back whenever I hear it in fact takes all three of us back. Happy days. In fact we have plans to sing it again at his 50th.....would have done it at his 40th but I was not too well so roll on his 50th

Kazz
15-07-2012, 03:35 PM
REM, It's the End of the World and I feel fine. Not sure if that is actually the title but I am instantly taken back to touring Hungary with a couple of American students I had spent the summer working with on a dig there. 1989, the Great Hungarian Plain full of sunflowers, us bombing around in a little hire care belting this out at the top of our lungs.
Oh to be young again!

Thats the sort of thing. Amazing how a song takes you abk to a moment.

angieh
16-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Really good idea for a thread Kazz - I've got some "signature tunes" but need to put the woolly thinking cap on for a bit ............

angieh
16-07-2012, 02:52 PM
OK just about the first musical memory - I had to sing this song as a forfeit at a party. I had to sing it to the older brother of a girlfriend of mine. I was 8 years old and SO embarrassed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MKNxLj9oTM

Shelley123
16-07-2012, 09:45 PM
my earliest recollections of songs are Downtown by Petula Clarke, i heard it playing downstairs as i lay in my bed awaiting a visit from Father Christmas.
I also remember enjoying little boxes and Tulips from Amsterdam.
As a very young child i fell in love with herman and his Hermits,lol

yola
18-07-2012, 09:32 PM
When I was very small I had some 78s such as 'how much is that doggy in the window' and Danny Kayes 'Mommy, give me a drinka waaater' . . . Those were earliest memories.

Music has played a huge part of my life, I discovered punk and new wave so there are big influencers there, Gary Numan was probably the most important so something like Down in the Park would have marked out my teenage years.

Those stand out, I'll have a think about some others.

Shelley123
18-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I realy like Gary Numan, Yola.
In fact i like a lot of the 80's music

yola
19-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I realy like Gary Numan, Yola.
In fact i like a lot of the 80's music

He's playing a little live venue here in Reading in Sept. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Needless to say I got me a ticket ;)

Shelley123
19-07-2012, 07:17 PM
He's playing a little live venue here in Reading in Sept. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Needless to say I got me a ticket ;)

oooh you luck thing Yola

angieh
10-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I've been revisiting my iconic music (thought I'd put some prints of important album covers in my photo albums, sort of cements other things in time .... )

So here's one of mine - Donovan "Catch the Wind". I was about 13/14 at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hjEYTpwE8&feature=related