PDA

View Full Version : Fat pads in male cats

Hevvur
13-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I have 3 males, and 1 female cat.
All 4 are neutered.

2 of the males (Brothers) have since developed 'fat pads' on their tummies (I looked online and found thats what they are called).

All 4 cats get fed the same and get plenty of exercise.
Is it common in males? Do I need to put them on a 'diet'?

Velvet
13-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Do you mean the thing like udders that hangs down ? If so no, your kitts are still growing and maturing. I queried ours with the vet - Mindy's is huge. He said it was nothing to worry about.

Hevvur
13-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Do you mean the thing like udders that hangs down ? If so no, your kitts are still growing and maturing. I queried ours with the vet - Mindy's is huge. He said it was nothing to worry about.

Theres 2.....one on the left, and one on the right.
Both massive!
They are both big boys anyway, way bigger than Abi and Trouble, and they are approx 10-11 months old.

Mrskatyb
14-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't have a male cat yet but hadn't heard of these 'fat pads', they sound harmless enough though, and when my make kitten is growing (I get him and his sister on Wednesday) I will watch out for these developing x

Velvet
15-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Theres 2.....one on the left, and one on the right.
Both massive!
They are both big boys anyway, way bigger than Abi and Trouble, and they are approx 10-11 months old.

Yep thats right. Mindy is 14 months, she too is very big, biggest of all ours. The horrible things almost waddle as she walks. Must see if i can find pix of them as theyve given me more than one anxious moment even with the vets reassurance :)

Photos dont show them as big as they are:/

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Timambmin2/458c3702.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Timambmin2/4a1b7720.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Timambmin2/a217b371.jpg

Hevvur
15-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes!! Thats them!
How stange its on 2 brothers, and not my other 2 cats!
Must be something in their DNA from their parents, cos all my cats eat the same!
These 2 are my biggest 2. I wonder if it comes with being a bigger cat too.

Will try and get pics of theirs!

Velvet
15-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes!! Thats them!
How stange its on 2 brothers, and not my other 2 cats!
Must be something in their DNA from their parents, cos all my cats eat the same!
These 2 are my biggest 2. I wonder if it comes with being a bigger cat too.

Will try and get pics of theirs!

Its strange as Mindy is the only one of ours from a different area :). Shes much bigger in all ways & still groeing/maturing. All the others are basically same size/shape. Well Misty is only 10 months so still maturing but basic same shape &Ben is only 16 weeks :).

The girl who trapped Mindy (feral kitten) says she is s common alley cat, she keeps me going & i always respond with. 'nonsense shes been brought up as a lady'. :)

paulinef2
15-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Lester has fat pads too, he will soon be 18 months and I weigh his food and have done since he was little. He is now on a diet and I am going to switch him to the "light" version of his food. The pads are getting smaller though :)

yola
15-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Fifi had these and Myshka has them also but none of my others had them. I've been told they are nothing to worry about.

Velvet
16-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Im definitely not cutting down on Mindys access to food, would be difficult anyway as theyre all free fed. They keep maturing until 2 yrs so time enough then to think about it

Shes seeing the vet tomorrow for her booster so see what he says then

Moli
16-07-2012, 10:39 PM
All 4 of my boys have them, and they are all the right weight....

Velvet
17-07-2012, 04:19 AM
Well Mindy & Tim got boosters today. Tim's is sit in two to try & prevent any adverse reactions & so far so good.he got Piriton day before, day of & tomorrow

I drew the vets attention to Mindy's fat pads & he said they were perfectly normal & at 14 months she was still just a kitten with lots more filling out to do. Shes a big cat & her weight was fine. Tim's weight was fine too & prounounced both as very healthy, fit cats - one delighted owner

So folks im quite happy now. I do wonder what size Mindy will be when fully mature, shes such a laid back gentle girl