PDA

View Full Version : Baby Ben isn't at all well :(

Velvet
12-07-2012, 01:34 AM
You may remember due to illness in the rescue, we had to defer getting our kitten (Ben) until he had had his second vaccination & a week after that, so we did everything right as advised by our Vet. We have now had Ben home 2 and 1/2 weeks

From we got Ben home I've noticed him sneezing, mentioned it to the vet who thought maybe allergy related as it was a dry type of sneeze if that makes sense. She said it it was anything else the vaccinations would hit it on the head. Over past couple days the sneezing changed to sounding more mucous related & last night you could hear phlegm in his throat as he coughed when he sneezed as if choking on it. Yesterday morning I had noticed a little discharge from his eyes but after cleaning off, it didn't recur. As its a public holiday here over next couple days decided to play safe and take Ben to the vets today

Under the vet's lights you could see nasal discharge :( his wee glands are swollen up :( and despite his vaccinations, he has Cat Flu :cry:

Our vet says that in all probability he had Cat Flu prior to getting the vaccinations and the virus has lay latent & because he is run down, it has now come to the surface:roll:

He got a antiviral injection which has to be repeated every other day, we have to go back Friday and Sunday to get injections. He may need them for a month. He has antibiotics to take (not looking forward to that)

Because Timmy & Mindy's vaccination boosters are due at beginning of August, the vet thinks it is advisable to bring them forward to now, so they are booked in on Monday just to be on safe side.

It just seems so unreal that this little kitten is now so ill & shows just what a horribly resiliant virus, Cat Flu is

Please keep little Ben in your thoughts

lynz85
12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
aww what a wee soul. il certainly keep in my thoughts for him to be strong and fight the nasty flu

Shelley123
12-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Helen, i'm so sorry to hear little Ben is so poorly. I do hope he's feeling better soon.

pamela81
12-07-2012, 08:54 PM
aww get well soon ben xx

alexgirl73
13-07-2012, 12:36 PM
:( wee love, hope he recovers very soon x

Mrskatyb
13-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Lots of love to little Ben xxx

Mags
13-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I do hope little Ben recovers soon :(

Velvet
13-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Ben got his second injection today. Poor wee man is so sleepy and congested. He was eating tonight and started to choke, such a tiny wee boy. It's such a shame this has happened to him. His appetite is poor and I had bought a tin of salmon to tempt him. He ate about two teaspoonfuls. His next injection is on Sunday x

lynz85
13-07-2012, 09:37 PM
poor boy, at least he's trying to eat. hope he improves soon

Velvet
14-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Last night i was quite concerned about Ben, wondered if we would need to get emergency vet out this morning (public hol here until Monday) however this morning, he appears a bit brighter.

Read on the internet last night that there are some cats who even though they are vaccinated, can still take Cat Flu. Like the common human flu, it is constantly evolving with different strains of it. Like my vet said, it can lie latent & come to the surface at times of stress ie re-homing, being put into a cattery etc

Shelley123
14-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear Ben is a bit brighter and managing to eat a bit of food. I guess you have tried heating the food a bit so that it smells more

Velvet
15-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Im trying everything, chicken, salmon, adult food the lot. He prefers it cold, perhaps his throat is sore & its cooler. Its awful to see them so poorly

Velvet
15-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Just back from Vets, Ben got his jab . He has to go back tomorrow to see the vet.

Kazz
15-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Last night i was quite concerned about Ben, wondered if we would need to get emergency vet out this morning (public hol here until Monday) however this morning, he appears a bit brighter.

Read on the internet last night that there are some cats who even though they are vaccinated, can still take Cat Flu. Like the common human flu, it is constantly evolving with different strains of it. Like my vet said, it can lie latent & come to the surface at times of stress ie re-homing, being put into a cattery etc

Oh dear I am sorry to hear this sometimes a rough start stays with them. Hope he picks up.

I would cocentrate on making sure he drinks.....although have you tried a little bit of cream?

yola
15-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Sorry Ben's so poorly, Velvet. Have you tried a little cat milk, maybe even slightly diluted with water?

I do hope he improves soon :(

Velvet
16-07-2012, 02:14 AM
The injections always seem to make him sleepy so it was about 9pm before he awoke. A few sneezes & coughing turns but think i see bit of an improvement tonight.

Have to say hes quite good at fluid intake. Despite the fact he has his own water dish, he balances on the edge of the big dog water bowl, in fact all the cats do!

Shelley123
16-07-2012, 08:36 AM
glad to hear Ben is a little better

angieh
16-07-2012, 01:30 PM
So sorry to hear that wee Ben is so poorly. Sending healing vibes a-plenty for the little guy.

JMPARK
16-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Little Ben is in our thoughts and Joy and Beau hope he will get better soon!

Velvet
17-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Well today didnt go so well for Ben. His glands are still up & vet doesnt think hes improved any. In fact he took bloods to check for FIV & said if positive the kindest thing with his health issues, ( he has a skin problem as well) would be to PTS. Im afraid i got a bit upset at that point:( poor wee man had to get some anaesthetic to get his bloods taken. Those 15 mins waiting for the results seemed like hours but thankfully he is FIV clear. Something is going on in the background so we have more antibiotics & have to go back in weeks time to re-evaluate the situation. The vet thought perhaps Ben's mum was a Carrier for Cat Flu & Ben was just unlucky enough to have it passed on to him. Thankfully she is spayed now.

Shelley123
17-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh Helen i am so sorry.
It's good news that he's FIV clear though. Healing vibes coming his way, i'm sure if anyone can pull him through you can x

angieh
17-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes very good news he's clear of FIV. Best full strength healing vibes still coming his way.

lynz85
17-07-2012, 08:40 PM
poor boy, what relief to hear he is FIV free, i do hope the vet can get to the bottom of his illness and get the wee guy well again x

Mrskatyb
17-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Lots of love and thoughts x

Velvet
18-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks Folks. This moring mum and I got quite upset over what has happened to Ben. the vet had said that even if he does recover he may always have some form of this flu working away in the background

Ben did appear to be a little brighter today, he didnt sleep for such long periods, he played a bit with Misty and his coat is beginning to look & feel more like a kittens should. When we got him his coat felt dry and coarse. He ate a bit better today.

He is still sneezing and coughing but not so much choking

I was actually successful in getting his pill into him second go, but he is such a wiggly wee eel. Immediately I set him down and gave him a couple of cheesy Dreamies:D

It is early days and I know I mustn't look too far too soon as between this flu and his skin problems, we have a way to go

Please keep sending those Catsey vibes folks x

Velvet
20-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Ben has been a wee bit better today,not so much sneezing or coughing and in much brighter form so I hope he has turned the corner. Still has his skin problems, hopefully get on top of that too

angieh
20-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Good news Velvet ......... continued healing vibes being sent. What's the problem with Ben's skin?

Velvet
21-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Well today was a better day, Ben was much brighter, still a bit congested but doing much better.

angieh
21-07-2012, 09:54 AM
That's really good news. Come on, little Ben, we're all sending you Get Well Soon vibes.

Velvet
21-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Today is a good day, just one sneeze so far & he has been leaping around like a kitten should. Antibiotics finished today :) still continuing with skin meds but am so pleased with his progress

pamela81
21-07-2012, 04:54 PM
aww thats great to hear that he is getting better :)

angieh
21-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Fingers crossed for continued improvement Velvet. Well done Ben!

Mrskatyb
21-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Excellent news, one day in the right direction x

Velvet
22-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Spoke too soon :(. Now we are off antibiotics he is sneezing again :(

Shelley123
30-07-2012, 10:56 AM
How is Ben now, Helen.

Velvet
01-08-2012, 01:34 AM
He is doing much better Shelley thanks. Still a few sneezes but nothing that needs meds. Still has his ongoing skin issues, will need treatment for a while yet. Vet is going to reassess his situation at the end of August. He is looking better with a lovely gloss to his coat now which was dull and dry looking when we got him. Very active wee boy who loves his cuddles. My mum has nick named him "black jack" :D

I must post a couple of updated photos of him

angieh
01-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear that things sound more promising for little Ben. Sorry Velvet, I went for the pictures before reading your update.