PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to home-prepare food without a grinder?

robin623
14-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Hello!http://123probiz.com/pro/index.jpg

Is there any way to prepare food from home without a grinder? I want to cook for Zelda, but I can't afford a grinder. She is currently eating wet food mixed with cat milk replacer, but she will be weened very soon, I think. Any advice? Thanks everyone.

angieh
14-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Robin ..... apart from poached fish or chicken I've not actually cooked for my cats but I wouldn't think a grinder (food processor/mixer?) would be necessary. Might need a bit more slicing or chopping if you want to keep the food in fairly small pieces as I guess Zelda is a kitten.

Be sure that there is enough taurine in her diet - that's what tends to put me off the idea of home prepared food - making sure it is properly nutritionally balanced.

atracattus
14-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Balancing the correct minerals and vitamins is quite difficult and expensive. Preparing chicken breast or the like as a treat is a wonderful idea and your cat will love it! No need for a mincer, just chop it up finely. But keep it to only a couple of times a week so that Zelda gets maximum benefit from proper kitten food. There are so many good additives that are put into good kitten food that if you want to supply a good diet on a budget your best way is to purchase it ready made.

I must emphasise what Angie says about taurine, particularly in the early formative years. We have a cat who has a damaged heart that is so advanced it is irreversible, which we highly suspect was caused by a lack of taurine (through being fed dog food) in her diet through the years before she came into our care.